Question for Hlitner re: trains in Europe

Hank,

You have done a lot of independant travel in Europe. Can you explain why EuroRailways is selling one-way tickets from Paris to Rome for a 1st class double cabin at $306, and RailEurope is charging $658 for that same 1st Class Double Cabin???

I tried to read and see what the difference could be, but I don't get it. I opted not to take the train because of the $658 one-way then another $658 from Venice back to Paris. Had I found the EuroRailways sight before I booked airfare, I might have been tempted for $306 each each way.

Have you found this to be the case for your train travel? I've always booked through RailEurope, I was astounded when I saw the difference in price.

I looked at these two sites as well as did my TA. Neither of us could figure out how EuroRailways could sell the same seats at half the cost. Unfortunately, there was no phone number to call, only an e-mail address as a point of contact and no one ever responded to my TA.

I was afraid to take the chance of having a problem with the tickets when we tried to board in Paris, so I took a big gulp and paid the full fare. Maybe someone here will have an answer for you.

Thanks for the responses HostKaren and cberge. At this point, it's just curiosity, as I've already purchased airfare from Paris to Rome, when I saw the price was $658 on RailEurope, I decided that was too much to pay for the fun ride on a train. Got a good deal on airfare with Air France ($210), hope they are still in business in October. That's the chance you take when you buy your tickets so far in advance.

Happy Travels to everyone!

Thanks for the responses HostKaren and cberge. At this point, it's just curiosity, as I've already purchased airfare from Paris to Rome, when I saw the price was $658 on RailEurope, I decided that was too much to pay for the fun ride on a train. Got a good deal on airfare with Air France ($210), hope they are still in business in October. That's the chance you take when you buy your tickets so far in advance.

Just remember that within Europe AF allows 44lbs of luggage per passenger (66lb for business/first) and charges $2 per pound for excess. We quickly learned our lesson going from Venice to Amsterdam, they weigh and charge you at check-in. This is sometimes not a hard and fast rule as we have gotten by with one slightly overweight bag a person, but don’t be shocked if you get charged.

Easyjet flies that route for about $60 pp including taxes. Intereurope has such restrictions on luggage anyway that Easyjet wouldn't have been too bad.

Just remember that within Europe AF allows 44lbs of luggage per passenger (66lb for business/first) and charges $2 per pound for excess. We quickly learned our lesson going from Venice to Amsterdam, they weigh and charge you at check-in. This is sometimes not a hard and fast rule as we have gotten by with one slightly overweight bag a person, but don’t be shocked if you get charged.

Yup, thanks for the info, but when I booked the Air France flight from Paris to Rome, they reminded me of the baggage limits. It's interesting that the checked bag is 44 lbs vs the International flight of 50 lbs, but the carry on is 26 lbs vs the International flight of 22 lbs. Maybe on purpose to try and even out the weight to a close comparison of 70 lbs vs 72 lbs. Who knows?

Nonetheless, we are prepared to stay under the 44 lbs if possible, if not, we'll have to pay the extra fee for a 2nd bag. 18 days is just too long to try and pack for, as I refuse to do laundry on vacation. I will sometimes wear dark pants more than once, but it's still tough to pack for almost 3 weeks and stay under 44 lbs to a destination other than shorts/summery attire.

Yup, thanks for the info, but when I booked the Air France flight from Paris to Rome, they reminded me of the baggage limits. It's interesting that the checked bag is 44 lbs vs the International flight of 50 lbs, but the carry on is 26 lbs vs the International flight of 22 lbs. Maybe on purpose to try and even out the weight to a close comparison of 70 lbs vs 72 lbs. Who knows?

Nonetheless, we are prepared to stay under the 44 lbs if possible, if not, we'll have to pay the extra fee for a 2nd bag. 18 days is just too long to try and pack for, as I refuse to do laundry on vacation. I will sometimes wear dark pants more than once, but it's still tough to pack for almost 3 weeks and stay under 44 lbs to a destination other than shorts/summery attire.

One thing we noticed in our case was that it wasn't one bag at 44lbs, but just 44lbs. So you could have one light and one medium mad as long as the ototal isn't over 44.

Archived