Best Cabins on Sapphire and Diamond Princess

gomoccs1

I am looking to book an Alaska Cruise on Princess Sapphire or Diamond Princess in '09. Could anyone tell me which of those aft cabins have the "beam"? I was on the Crown Princess in C750 and want to make sure that the balcony on the next one definately does not have it. I would appreciate any feedback as you can't get a definate answer it seems from Princess.

Thanks!:confused:

We were in C748 on the Sapphire in July 2005. Regular cabin, no beam, and was great. For Alaska the aft cabins offer a great view when cruising Tracy Arm. The other advantage, I feel, is that you can warm up in your cabin, listen to the naturlist on the TV, have your coffee (if you bring a pot, we do) and best, your bathroom (head) is right there! A suite? Even better! :D

What type of cabin are you looking for? I'm assuming since you were in a suite, you are after another one. But for regular balconies, we had A746, which is aft facing also. Extra deep balcony, and loved the location right beside the Terrace pool and one deck up to the Lido.

Thanks for all the feedback! I would love to have another full suite on the

Alaska sailing--depending on price--looks like '08 prices for the PS with air would be in the neighbor of $11,000.00 for the cruise/tour. I may settle for one of the aft balconies now that I know that there is no beam. It will be hard to step down after having the suite--so many wonderful perks!;)

We just got off the Diamond Princess last week. We had a mini-suite on Emerald Deck. These are the only mini-suites that are completely covered. The ones on Dolphin Deck are completely open meaning there is no privacy and you have full exposure to sun. We absolutely loved our location. Very private and quiet in terms of hall way traffic. It was also a very convenient location. You are only one deck up from the Promenade deck. Most of the time we didn’t need to use an elevator. One suggestion: we booked on the starboard side so that we would be on the opposite side of the stage below in the Club Fusion. We heard no noise what so ever. My research on this web site indicated that some ( but not all) mini-suite passengers on the port side of Emerald Deck reported noise from below.

We are sailing on the Sapphire in December and have booked another Emerald mini-suite on the starboard side.

Thanks for the input. What was your cabin #? We were on the Caribbean a couple of years ago above the Princess Theater and we heard the entire show! Just wanted to make sure.

We just got off the Diamond Princess last week. We had a mini-suite on Emerald Deck. These are the only mini-suites that are completely covered. The ones on Dolphin Deck are completely open meaning there is no privacy and you have full exposure to sun. We absolutely loved our location. Very private and quiet in terms of hall way traffic. It was also a very convenient location. You are only one deck up from the Promenade deck. Most of the time we didn’t need to use an elevator. One suggestion: we booked on the starboard side so that we would be on the opposite side of the stage below in the Club Fusion. We heard no noise what so ever. My research on this web site indicated that some ( but not all) mini-suite passengers on the port side of Emerald Deck reported noise from below.

We are sailing on the Sapphire in December and have booked another Emerald mini-suite on the starboard side.

We were in #727. We are both very noise sensitive and it was an absolutely noise-free cabin. Sorry about your experience being above the Princess theatre. Not only did you get all the noise, but you must have felt a lot of movement being at the front end of the ship.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Judith

Thanks for info! Yes, we did feel quite a bit of movement. We booked last minute, and I really didn't have a choice.

Carol

We were in #727. We are both very noise sensitive and it was an absolutely noise-free cabin. Sorry about your experience being above the Princess theatre. Not only did you get all the noise, but you must have felt a lot of movement being at the front end of the ship.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Judith

Hi Carol,

One other thing about the mini-suites on Emerald. Because they are fully covered, they do not get as much natural light as other cabins. We never found that to be a problem and we are people who love lots of light.

In fact, you will not get blaring sun from afternoon sunlight. We had really nice morning light. I have a feeling that those on dolphin deck, had to pull their curtains at times because of the direct light.

I think the Emerald mini-suites are a well kept secret and one of the best bargains around as they are some of the lowest priced mini-suites on the ship. Those covered balconies are wonderful!

Judith

Just got back from the Sapphire to Australia/NZ. We had C752 a Premium Suite on the Caribe Deck. LOVED it:D ! No beam. The balcony was completely covered. Completely aft, so it was very quiet. The engine noise and shudder was nonexistent. It never woke us up coming into port. We also had an aft suite on our Alaska cruise and if we did it again it would have to be an aft cabin. We really enjoyed the table and 4 chairs for eating, especially breakfast.

Cheryl

Could someone kindly explain the open vs. covered balcony? We are considering an Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire and the best options are in minisuites AC, AD, or AE (or just a guar.). We are flip-flopping between this and a HAL cruise.

Sorry to be thick... I have searched for photos and threads and cannot really find much that shows or explains this. By open, do you mean completely so or ar these partially covered?

edit: Never mind, I finally found a good picture. It is curious that the more expensive cabins are those with the seemingly less desirable open balconies. I think I still prefer the mini-suite to the smaller balcony cabin and will likely end up on the dolphin deck.

You may want to re-read this thread and consider category AD which have the covered balconies on the Emerald Deck (aft). They are great cabins, especially starboard side which is not above the band stage of the Club Fusion below. I would not want a completely open balcony anytime, but especially in Alaska. I agree with you that it doesn't make sense that the covered balcony mini-suites cost less. I think it must be because they are on a lower deck and aft. They are, in my opinion, the most desirable mini-suites which is why I described them in a previous post as "a well kept secret"

We are booked on the Sapphire in December and have booked an AD minisuite, starboard side (#E719)

Hope this helps......

Judith

You may want to re-read this thread and consider category AD which have the covered balconies on the Emerald Deck (aft). They are great cabins, especially starboard side which is not above the band stage of the Club Fusion below. I would not want a completely open balcony anytime, but especially in Alaska. I agree with you that it doesn't make sense that the covered balcony mini-suites cost less. I think it must be because they are on a lower deck and aft. They are, in my opinion, the most desirable mini-suites which is why I described them in a previous post as "a well kept secret"

We are booked on the Sapphire in December and have booked an AD minisuite, starboard side (#E719)

Hope this helps......

Judith

Thanks, but my options are few at this point as this is a relatively late booking for a June cruise (we aren't into planning much more in advance than a couple of months...). So I can book a balcony on caribe, a mini-suite on dolphin for a few hunderd more, or a guarantee in either and take my chances (oddly, I kind of like this option!).

Archived