Wow...what a difference a few years makes

Mikel1733

I was just sorting some old cruise papers and came across a sheet listing all the tours from our cruise in 1994. Thought I'd share a few prices with you.

Nassau - Dolphin Encounter $30 adult

Nassau - Swim with the Dolphins $85 adult

Nassau - Glass Bottom Boat $16 adult

Nassau - Coral Island Tour $20 adult

Key West - Aquarium Tour $5 adult

Key West - Beach Day $5 adult

Key West - Ripleys $9.00 adult

Casa De Campo - One Hour Clinics (Tennis, Golf, Horseback) $15.00 adult

I should have done them all. :)

Ah 1994 in college driving from Columbus to Dayton to see my boyfriend - gas was typically just under a dollar a gallon. At those prices we would see each other between once or twice a week. Fast forward to June 2003, my boyfriend is now my dh and gas hit 2.14 a gallon and I was telling everyone at my ob's office as I had just seen the sign on the way in. Being pregnant at the time, I will never forget the month and year. :eek:

I'm going to date myself now........... 0.18 cents per gallon when I started driving. :o

Before I could drive(legally) my family lived in Panama(the country)... in 1968 gas was 0.14 a gallon on the air force base. In downtown Panama it was 3.14 a gallon (yes they used gallons at that time). That is some price difference! The rest of the world has been paying quite a lot more for a long time... ask someone from England what they pay. I rented a car on Grand Bahama Island last August and it worked out to around $5.50 a gallon... Main reason cars are so small.

Glad to be an American.

When I started driving in Oklahoma in 1998, gas was 75-85 cents/gallon. In July 2000, I paid a record-high of $1.78/gallon, and it went back down for awhile. Of course, we all know what has happened since. I paid $3.69/gallon in Florida this past weekend and didn't bat an eye.

Ironically, the cost of an actual cruise in my opinion, has not increased that much. Airfare, yes, cruise no. In 1990, we took our first cruise on the Carnival Celebration. We had airfare out of Maine to Fort Lauderdale and an Empress deck outside cabin. $2,400 for 2. Typically, we have paid around $1,000 for a balcony cabin without aifare. If you drop the cabin to outside only and add in some airfare, it probably would be about the same even in high season.

I was on a high school tour in England in the spring of 1979 (I know, I"m old)....gas was 50p per litre. We thought that seemd ok until we did the conversion and realized that it meant about $4 per gallon! Fast forward 29 years and we're just now getting to that point. Weird!:eek:

I was just sorting some old cruise papers and came across a sheet listing all the tours from our cruise in 1994. Thought I'd share a few prices with you.

Nassau - Dolphin Encounter $30 adult

Nassau - Swim with the Dolphins $85 adult

Nassau - Glass Bottom Boat $16 adult

Nassau - Coral Island Tour $20 adult

Key West - Aquarium Tour $5 adult

Key West - Beach Day $5 adult

Key West - Ripleys $9.00 adult

Casa De Campo - One Hour Clinics (Tennis, Golf, Horseback) $15.00 adult

I should have done them all. :)

Did you happen to check out the boarding pics from your first cruise...reality check.

Our first cruise was on the Norway in 1991. After our cruise, we received a thank-you letter from the cruise line, along with a coupon on a future cruise for a "buy-one-get-one". I remember our second cruise on the Norway was around $800 for the week for the two of us, up on the Sky Deck with those floor to ceiling windows. We though we hit the jackpot when we saw our room!

Haven't seen a coupon like that since then! :p

quote=cruiselover999 I was on a high school tour in England in the spring of 1979 (I know, I"m old)....gas was 50p per litre. We thought that seemd ok until we did the conversion and realized that it meant about $4 per gallon! Fast forward 29 years and we're just now getting to that point. Weird!:eek:

I haven't been to Europe for a couple of years. I wonder what gas is currently going for over there? The thing about Europe and their high gas prices is # 1 most Europeans live in small villages and don't drive far and #2 when they do go somewhere, they have fabulous trains, and # 3 the majority of people who do own cars have much smaller, fuel efficient models. The same thing applies to heating, air conditioning, size of houses - Europeans keep their houses much cooler in winter, warmer in summer, and are used to living in very small houses, (at least compared to American standards.) They walk more than we do and ride bikes. I wonder if Americans will ever get to the point where they are willing to give up the gas guzzlers and huge houses in order to reduce energy consumption? I'm certainly not preaching here - just wondering what it really will take for us to change our lifestyles?

quote=cruiselover999 I was on a high school tour in England in the spring of 1979 (I know, I"m old)....gas was 50p per litre. We thought that seemd ok until we did the conversion and realized that it meant about $4 per gallon! Fast forward 29 years and we're just now getting to that point. Weird!:eek:

I haven't been to Europe for a couple of years. I wonder what gas is currently going for over there? The thing about Europe and their high gas prices is # 1 most Europeans live in small villages and don't drive far and #2 when they do go somewhere, they have fabulous trains, and # 3 the majority of people who do own cars have much smaller, fuel efficient models. The same thing applies to heating, air conditioning, size of houses - Europeans keep their houses much cooler in winter, warmer in summer, and are used to living in very small houses, (at least compared to American standards.) They walk more than we do and ride bikes. I wonder if Americans will ever get to the point where they are willing to give up the gas guzzlers and huge houses in order to reduce energy consumption? I'm certainly not preaching here - just wondering what it really will take for us to change our lifestyles?

You have to take into consideration the size of the country. England can be traveled through north to south, or east to west, in one day. The U.S. is tremendously vast in size! Just the city I live in, population 120,000, is more than 10 miles by 10 miles. If I never left the city, I suppose I could learn to get around by public transportation. You are right, europeans are used to a simpler standard of living. By necessity.

Wow...what a difference a few years makes...

I wasn't sure if you were referring to your prostrate keeping you from peeing in a stream... or your children keeping you from a date with your special Lady (Cruiser2... I was not refering to your mistriss)... or skipping a cruise because your child needed orthodontia.

I'll have to make my best guess... :D

Archived