Diamond Princess- How do you rate the coffee???

sunnydaze

Hey Folks,

Getting ready for our southbound Alaska cruise this May on the

Diamond Princess. Can you get a good cup of coffee other than

the Patisserie??

Last couple of times we cruised, the restaurants were all the same

liquid coffee concentrate, unless you asked for a cappucino in the

dining room or specialty coffee bar.

It's tough when you are from the Pacific North-West. You get spoiled.

THe coffee is adequate. I wouldn't take the cruise expecting anything outstanding. Nancy

I love Princess, but I think Nancy is being generous in her rating of the coffee :) All I can say is when I get on the Crown in June, I'm buying the coffee card so I get that unlimited fresh brewed while I use up my specialty coffee punches!

Last couple of times we cruised, the restaurants were all the same

liquid coffee concentrate,

There are a couple of bars that have brewed coffee available....for $1. We used them when we wanted coffee in a carry-out cup to keep warm while we were outside watching for whales and glaciers.

And somewhere is the coffee specialty kiosk, but I never found it.

Otherwise they still use the coffee concentrate.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what you get if you order coffee thru room service?

My DH is very fussy about his coffee, and he loves it dark and strong. He thought the coffee in the dining room was fine, and the Horizon Court was just ok. He bought a coffee card, and he would go to the coffee bar every morning to get a cup of coffee for himself and tea for me which we would then take up to Horizon if we were having breakfast there. He felt the coffee card was well worth the $25 or so that it cost.

I don't know whether the room service coffee is the syrup or not. I do know that it is as horrid as any other coffee on the ship -- with the exception of the latte at the Plaza bar. If you can afford it, I suggest you get a coffee card and get the "good" stuff. I would go down at 7 each morning to get a latte. Then when room service brought breakfast we'd have that. Well, it was better than no coffee but it's not good. But, it didn't ruin my vacation :D

One of our best vacations ever! Enjoy!

Susan

We found the coffee that was served in the dining rooms to be just fine and I am guessing it is a brewed product. However that which comes out of the spigot in the Horizon Court I believe comes from a concentrate and tastes more like instant coffee.

If the coffee on the Diamond is like that on the Princess ships, liquid mix in the Horizon court. As for room service, it has always seemed a little better -- maybe that is a placebo effect of "room service" :rolleyes:

Sunnydaze, DH and I are on your ship. Only a few weeks to go ...

The same sludge as if you got it at the buffet or in the diningroom. I brew my own, or mix the other stuff with hot water.

Why don't you just buy a card for $24 and get fresh brewed (all you want)???

Ron

I was warned by this board before my Alaska cruise last year (Coral). I brought a 4-cup coffee maker with me and my own Peet's coffee. It made me very happy in the morning. All of the complimentary coffee served on the ship was unpleasant IMHO.

I was warned by this board before my Alaska cruise last year (Coral). I brought a 4-cup coffee maker with me and my own Peet's coffee. It made me very happy in the morning. All of the complimentary coffee served on the ship was unpleasant IMHO.[/quote]

Totally agree.

Archived