Safes in Cabins

Larry613

DW and I will be taking our first Princess cruise on the Dawn in a few days. I assume there are small safes in the cabins and am wondering if they oprerate by entering a personal code or if a card with a magnetic strip is required. If the latter I like to bring an outdated cc to use for this purpose. Will appreciate any info on this topic.

The safes are battery powered by batteries in the door of the safe. Our last cruise the safe would not lock and said low battery as we were ready to disembark at one of the ports. We had to call to have them replaced before we could leave. They were pretty quick but this could have been a problem had we been on a tight schedule. Best to lock it well before you need to leave the ship.

You can put a lot in these safes but as stated above not a laptop computer.

You could probably get an SLR in it but it may limit whatelse you could put in. Video camera, it would depend on the size of it but I would have reservations about that. Next best solution is in a suitcase under the bed. I may be a bit over trusting but I leave a $600+ pair of binoculars out in plain view all the time. My view is that security can tell by the keycard who was in the cabin last and there are security cameras in the halls.

The safe has a digital 4-number code that you decide on to enter; no using your credit card. I had an issue with that on HAL where I was using my cabin card to open the safe. One day, it wouldn't work and the card wouldn't open the door to the cabin. They chastised me to use my credit card, not the cabin card but heck, I'm NOT about to leave my CC hanging around outside the safe. I ignored them and continued to use my cabin card. Anyway, here's a photo of the safe:

safe.jpg

Archived