Century RS 1028 - no rest for the weary....

topsailgirl

I just returned from a five-nighter on Century after having treated myself and son to the Royal Suite (1028). As I write this, I am having trouble focusing on screen and keyboard from lack of sleep. I was awakened every morning no later than 5:45 (that's a.m., folks....) by carts (towels carts? service carts? who knows....) being rolled over my head on deck above. The noise continued regularly until around 11:00 p.m. (that's right -- for the next 18 hours or thereabouts). I could hear the noise even when I was using hair dryer to dry my hair! Even my 15 year old son (who once slept through a smoke alarm going off right outside his bedroom door at home) complained about all the commotion on deck above.

IN addition, there was also a service closet right above my room where they stored tables for displays. So every day that these were used, I had to listen to tables being drug out of closet, and then being drug back again.

I realized when I booked room that deck was above so I understood about people walking and was prepared to deal with that. But this was so much more of a problem than just the people walking back and forth. My noise machine pretty much drowned out walking noise but there was nothing I could do about other, much louder noise.

I know that the point of a cruise is to enjoy the entire ship and the places you sail to, but I really would have liked to enjoy my room a little more given the price I paid. I like a little nap in the afternoon when I am on vacation or perhaps would even like to go to bed before 11:00. But no dice or either account.

I realize that the ship has to get tasks done, but I cannot believe that towel carts (or whatever) need to be rolled out on deck at 5:30 - 5:45 in the morning. At very least, ship should have full disclosure as to annoying noise problem and charge less for this room than for other Royal Suites (assuming that other suites did not have this kind of jarring noise problem). I won't make this mistake again --

You have my sympathy - especially when you're paying more for a suite. Yikes!! :eek:

I have a general rule of thumb not to book under any type of public venue, ie a restaurant. Now I'll have to start checking for closets, service areas, and the like.

Otherwise, did you have a good cruise? We enjoyed Century a lot when we took our first cruise on her! For me, it's a perfect size, too. I do hope your future cruises are fun and quiet when you need them to be !!:)

We have stayed a number of times in 1046 which is just 3 doors down from 1028. Did not notice any noise problem. Looking at the resort deck layout, and trying to match it to penthouse deck (resort is directly above penthouse where the RS is at), I only see areas for pool lounge chairs above both of these cabins (1028 and 1046). I do not see any service closets, and I wonder how the noise of carts moving would be a continuous thing throughout the day.

We have stayed a number of times in 1046 which is just 3 doors down from 1028. Did not notice any noise problem. Looking at the resort deck layout, and trying to match it to penthouse deck (resort is directly above penthouse where the RS is at), I only see areas for pool lounge chairs above both of these cabins (1028 and 1046). I do not see any service closets, and I wonder how the noise of carts moving would be a continuous thing throughout the day.

We've stayed in 1028 a few years ago pre upgrade to Century and they have increased the balcony size of this RS I understand during the upgrade.We never heard anything at all that prevented us from sleeping but that doesn't mean things have not changed with the refurbishment, however looking at the schematic in the brochure I have to agree it doesn't look as if there is anything directly above it to cause any problem ????. There was a communicating door to the next cabin but even with this , we heard nothing .

Yes, I carefully examined the deck plans before booking this and there is no way you can see the storage closet on the deck above. I do not know why this is such a busy place for carts, but believe me, when I started noticing all the noise, I went up to the upper deck and sat there for a while to see what was going on. Towel carts and service carts were being wheeled across the deck (above my room) through the doors leading to the elevator area. The on-deck towel storage area is very close to the doors leading to the elevator area so that is one reason why towel carts were so prevalent in the area above my room.

It was the early morning carts that got to me the worst. I just could not understand why all the activity at that hour.

Live and learn.

Other than no sleep, the cruise was great. Had I had a quiet room it would have been the perfect cruise.

My wife, 17 yr old daughter & I just returned from a fabulous 5 night cruise on Century. :D We stayed in Royal Suite 1041 ... It was a wonderful stateroom ... bigger than we had imagined ... and well laid out and appointed. :rolleyes:

Our butler, Richard, was the best !!! :) Breakfast in room everyday... port days on the veranda. Eggs Benedict everyday (not on menu but learned in this forum that you can write it in) ... Every evening about 6:45 Richard would bring us 3 shrimp cocktails and a plate of cheese.

We had second seating for dinner and Vladimir from Serbia was our waiter. We were at table 515 which was right in front of the Captains Table. Vlad was most knowledgeable and efficient... all of the entrees we had were very good. :cool:

Sure there were more young children than I understand is usual for Celebrity but my gosh ... IT WAS SPRING BREAK and EASTER WEEK ... WHAT do you expect. :confused:

We loved it so much that we booked the same cruise again for next year as we will also be able to now take our son as our daughter will be attending the same University and their spring breaks will be the same. :D

Due to children we hadn't cruised in 20 years ... last cruise was on Cunard's Sagafjord.

Yes, I carefully examined the deck plans before booking this and there is no way you can see the storage closet on the deck above. I do not know why this is such a busy place for carts, but believe me, when I started noticing all the noise, I went up to the upper deck and sat there for a while to see what was going on. Towel carts and service carts were being wheeled across the deck (above my room) through the doors leading to the elevator area. The on-deck towel storage area is very close to the doors leading to the elevator area so that is one reason why towel carts were so prevalent in the area above my room.

It was the early morning carts that got to me the worst. I just could not understand why all the activity at that hour.

Live and learn.

Other than no sleep, the cruise was great. Had I had a quiet room it would have been the perfect cruise.

I feel really sorry you spent all that money for a suite like these suites to have to endure this... it has given a pointer to any who intend to book this suite in particular to perhaps reconsider.I for one look back on our cruise (in 1028) fondly and might have re- booked it again on that memory.Now I would consider the probability of noise above us issue more carefully. So thank you for posting your experience.

I am sorry that you had such a hard time, especially after paying so much for the RS. :eek:

We had this happened while in a mini-suite on a RCCL ship.

I think we must have been directly under the automatic sliding door, because we could hear the door open, and then the carts going over the threshold, and then the door closing again. Woke us up around 6:00 am (we also sleep with a sound machine) every morning.

We really didn't mind the noise, as we are early risers and the noise served as our wake-up call.:D We didn't notice any noise during the day, because we were hardly back in our room until 11:00 pm or so at night. :)

The location of the suite was great because it was near the elevator and centrum.

We are going in February and will be in 1045. I was also concerned about the noise but will sacrifice a little noise for all that space. Does anyone have photo's of the Royal Suite, the search function on the boards is down so I can't do a search and would love to see pictures.

I think as long as you are not in the RS directly under the doors leading to pool deck, you will not have such a problem with carts. I don't think there is much cart traffic going all the way across the deck. The carts are rolled in and go to bar area or to towel storage. Therefore, the noise you would have if your RS was under middle of the pool area, would probably be chairs being moved or people walking -- I can't imagine either being as loud as a cart being rolled across wooden deck.

Now I'm worried about 1028 which I have booked for upcoming TransAtlantic cruise. Has anyone else had this cabin recently and is there a real noise problem?

I would try to switch but Celebrity tells me that it's a sold out cruise.

Good news is that we tend to go to bed after 11 and get -up relatively early.

Thanks for any feedback :confused:

If you are booked already in 1028, and cannot move, please still go -- you will have a great time. I am just a really light sleeper and have problems wherever I go if things are not really quiet. So I am probably more sensitive than your usual cruiser. By the way, I swear by my white noise sleep machine -- it really does the trick in terms of masking noise in most situations. Try it out...

If I had to choose between not going and staying in 1028 again, I would definitely GO! 1028 has a FABULOUS verandah -- you will love it. I love the Century (this was my second cruise on the ship).

Archived