Buenos Aires Hotel Recomendations

ClaudiaF

Anybody stayed at Claridge Hotel? Alvear ?

Kempinski?

What about the areas where they are?

Barcelona to Venice on Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;3;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

Claudia,

I just read a BAD review for the Claridge Hotel on Fodor's.

Here is the link - if they block it out - write me at Brahmama@yahoo.com and I'll get it to you. Actually, Claudia, I just cut and pasted it. But go to Fodor's .com and then go to Latin America - search for Buenos Aires.

Good luck!

Author: malibu

Date: 05/22/2004, 01:51 pm

Kempinski hotels Chateau- area and hotel?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: drdawggy

Date: 05/22/2004, 02:00 pm

Message: Claridge. Reminds me of a movie set...impressive facade.....looks great from the street....beyond the lobby, this hotel is not much better than a motel 6....overrated and overpriced....located in the busy downtown area, half a block from the Florida street pedestrian mall. Food at breakfast is tasteless....bar is overpriced....my bed sagged and had fleas (yes, fleas or pulgas as they say here)...the carpet was threadbare, and I could go on....This is not, I repeat, not a five star hotel...

Kempenski hotels in general do not enjoy a good reputation....smallish rooms, air conditioners and elevators that often dont work, etc....The Chateau is at least in a nicer area than Claridge.....in Barrio Norte on the edge of Recoleta....quiet street....

Do a search on here, you will find hotels that are similarly priced that offer true quality.

Some very good threads over there on Bs As.

Carol

Hi Claudia,

We stayed at the Marriott several years ago -- it's across from the Park and a block from Florida Street. We used our Marriott points and stayed free. It's a very nice hotel. A few people we know stayed at the Sheraton near the park, which is a beautiful hotel (there are several Sheratons which the cruise line uses). We were just there in February and were told to have the hotel call a cab for you. Things had changed a lot since we were there two years ago. You must use caution as you would in any big city in the U.S. Things have changed a lot since their money was devalued. One of the people on our cruise wore a Rolex watch which disappeared immediately from his wrist. We also used Port Compass for our tours and we very pleased with them.

Claudia,

We have been in contact with Cintia at wowargentina.com. She has been very helpful and after reading Fodors.com and working with her we have decided to stay at the Argenta Towers. Very large suites and very good prices and a good location.

Jerry

We stayed at the Alvea Palace last March.We found it to be the most elegent and nicest hotel we have stayed at in alot of years.You can compare it to the Carlyle Hotel on Madison ave. back in the 60's when the Kennedys stayed there.Make a reservation for brunch in the indoor garden room,$18.00 P.P. The Plaza Hotel in NYC charges $75.00 and the food and ambiance is much better in The Alvea.

Actually that's the Alvear Palace

Jerry K

From:Baltimore/Washington, D.C. -- Lived in Bonn; Buenos Aires; Caracas; Almaty; Beijing; Rangoon; Scottsdale and now Las Vegas (and long visits to an additional 83 countries)

• 1 month later...

I stayed at the Claridge Hotel years ago. It was very nice and well located. It has a very English feel. I'll next be in BA in January and have booked the Park Tower Hotel which is part of the LuxuryCollection of hotels and part of the Starwood hotels.

We stayed at the Intercontinental, excellent hotel, not in the best location. We made arrangements thru the hotel to pick us up at the airport, I think it was about $20.00USD. When we booked they had a special for about $145USD, which included breakfast and a Tango show with dinner. We were on the Royal Princes around the Cape in Feb 26 2003. Princess used that hotel for a precruise, which did not incluide a tango show.

• 2 weeks later...

Help, Help, Help We have booked the Claridge, it looked good on the web, good position etc. We are not so sure now. we like to be in the centre of town and explore the city. Can anyone help which Hotel to book. we are on the Rio Celebrity cruise leaving B.A on the 31st Jan 2005 we will be arriving in B.A. on the 28th Jan early morning from London UK, we will also stay an extra day when we return to B.A. on the 13th Feb.

Thanks to you all

Roy And Marilyn, London UK.

Roy and Marilyn,

As I posted above on this thread we are staying at the Argenta towers and suites. We were referred to this hotel by Cintia at http://www.wowargentina.com. We found that a local travel agent in Bs As could book local hotels at a lower rate than available on the web.

You might wish to contact her and discuss your price range and location choices. She has been very helpful to us and comes highly recommended on the fodors.com Latin America board.

Good Luck!

Jerry

Rob and Marilyn,

We stayed at the Claridge 13 years ago and loved it. Yes, that's a long time and things change, however, the hotel has had a renovation since then so I would assume it's better.

The location is good, right near Florida St. which is a pedrestrian only street with lots of shops and is busy with lots of people. It is not near Recoleta, also a wonderful area filled with outdoor cafe's and restaurants.

We're going back to Buenos Aires this Feb and we would stay at the Claridge Hotel again without hesitation, except that we want to try a different area this time.

Hi Jane

Thanks for the info, please let us know where you do decide to stay.

Hi Jerry

I have spoken to Cintia via email, re tours, we got some good rates from the Claridge.

Regards to all

Roy & Marilyn, London UK

We have booked at the Kempinski Plaza hotel BA the rates for all of their BA hotels are great. The Plaza & Chateau ( 2 of their hotels) are in the Recoleta area, which is supposed to be the best area?

We got Penthouse suite room with jacuzzi, including transfers from airport to hotel and then from hotel to ship, buffet breakfast daily per person and a lunch or dinner .

Can't beat that. Some rates withthis "interlude" package were in low 100 dollar range..unheard of..

http://www.kempinski.com/en/main.php?main=hotels&sub=america

here is website.. now has anyone stayed there recently to tell us any info?

Hi Roy and Marilyn,

We've booked the Kempinski Park Plaza for this trip. However, we're not going until January. I've been known to change. <g>

I've heard that the Sofitel is very nice, but their website shows no availabilty for our dates. However, it showed the same thing when I looked 4 months ago and on their 800 number, a reservationist said it was too early to book.

Jane

• 1 month later...

Dear Bloom

My neighbour just returned (in July of 2004) from a South American vacation and while they were in buenos Aires they stayed at Claridges and were very happy with it. they said the rooms were clean and nice with robes - slippers - etc for amenities.

Hope that helps

Claridges is a nice hotel; however if I was going to be in BA for the first time then it would not be my first choice. It's a few blocks over from the main stream of things - it's a little further from the port (albeit a few blocks) - and I still maintain staying in BA you don't need to be in a 4* or 5* hotel - in fact, the smaller 3* hotels would be my first choice. You get better service -a charming room - and if you can converese with the people who work there you will gain a wealth of information that you would have never received at a more expensive place.

Will be going to BA in Feb. 2005 and have reservations at the Sheraton Libertador Hotel. Have any of you any information and maybe have stayed there. Your reply would be appreciated.

Don

The Sheraton is fine (actually spent our wedding night there - while I was living in BA). It's a little bit away from the shopping area on Florida - but no more than a 15 minute walk.

If you tell me where Argenta Towers is located I can tell you if it's in a good area.

Archived