Priceline for PreCruise Hotel

floatinrocks

We are thinking of going 3 days early to San Juan and were wondering if using Priceline would be a money saver. We're just a little leery about bidding on an unknown hotel. Any experiences you can share? Savings small or big?:o

I have used PL many times, domestically and internationally.

Spend some time researching San Juan and learning bidding strategies at biddingfortravel dot com.

For three days I would choose a beach resort, for less I would prefer to be in the old town area.

Make sure too, that you read some recent reviews and look at guests' pictures at tripadvisor.com of any hotels you are considering. I agree that you really MUST do research on the better bidding sites to learn the techniques. You need to go to individual hotel sites to see what the going rate is, too, before bidding. The best deals are obviously during off seasons. If you need specific bedding (two doubles vs one king) remember nothing is guaranteed and once you make your res with PL, it is non refundable. PL works great for us. Just gotta know what you are doing. Good luck.

biddingfor travel and better bidding dot com are great sites for information on hotels and strategies. Even a combination of research on both Priceline and Hotwire can help with determining bids and location.

Last Feb. we went for 3 days precruise. I did a lot of research and was very patient. But it paid off, in Oct. we got the Caribe Hilton for 75.00 a night for Feb. Our total bill was 299.00 with tax. When we checked in they put us in a brand new villa!!!!! We had the nicest patio!! Just need to research and know when and what to bid!! Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the Intercontinental for $160 on Priceline for next March 7. This is a great deal considering it's the night before cruising and it's the beginning of some people's (our) March break. Regular room rate for this time of year is $329.

KAWS...you sure are planning way ahead of time.

I am going to SJ for a cruise in October of this year and am just starting to look for a pre-cruise hotel. It looks like Embassy Suites near the airport has reasonably priced rooms. Don't know yet for sure if I'll use priceline.

KAWS...you sure are planning way ahead of time.

I am going to SJ for a cruise in October of this year and am just starting to look for a pre-cruise hotel. It looks like Embassy Suites near the airport has reasonably priced rooms. Don't know yet for sure if I'll use priceline.

Yes, I tend to plan things out early. My friends call me "Julie, the Cruise Director". LOL I wanted to get my airfare and precruise hotel done and then to me it means I'm REALLY going.

The excursions for this cruise will take longer to organize since there's a port every day and I want to balance out activity with sit on my backend on the beach days.

To be honest though, when I bid on the hotel on Priceline I really didn't expect to get my bid accepted. I was sure they would say no deal. Glad it's done though so I can cross one thing off my list.

You can typically figure out what hotels Priceline will give you by checking out the classification and neighborhood of existing hotels. The last couple times, I've used them I was able to figure out it would be one of two and was correct.

They also come back after three low bids and pretty much tell you how much it will take to buy it (can't say always, just my last two times).

Archived