What Shots needed for South America???

BCHappyGal

WE have booked a back to back cruise so that we sail out of Fort Lauderdale - through the Panama Canal then south downt he entire west coast of South America around the horn and ending in Buenos Aires. Once in Buenos Aires we plan to take a trip to see the Iguazu Falls.

Can anyone tell me if any shots are required for this cruise. We will be aboard Infinity.

Thanks for all your help and tips

Ann

I have taken in the past the Hepatitis shots for the food dangers, but I think that there is a warning for our around the horn cruise for Yellow fever. I assume there is a shot for this?

jc

Upcoming cruise HAL Rotterdam VI 11/2005 South America

Legend of the Seas RCI 3/03 New Zealand, Tahiti, Hawaii, Adventure of the Seas RCI 2/02 Southern Caribbean, Radiance of the Seas RCI 10/01 Vancouver to Hawaii, Millennium Celebrity 10/00 Eastern Mediterranean, Galaxy Celebrity 12/99 Southern Caribbean, Sensation Carnival 4/98 Eastern Caribbean, Majesty of the Seas RCI 1/96 Western Caribbean

email me at xpcdoojk@yahoo.com

There is a shot for yellow fever. I had one when I went to Tanzania on a safari. But it isn't required to go around the horn, where the climate is too temperate (or cold, depending on where you live) for yellow fever.

I recommend that you get advice from a travel clinic or at least from a clinic that will check the latest CDC recommendations. Exactly where you are going and what you plan to do can make a difference. You can review some CDC information online at http://www.cdc.gov/travel/

The risk of disease can be significant enough not to trust what you read on message boards. Get competent medical advice and don't rely on what you see here. This is one case where you get what you pay for.

Roger

Ann,

You will not need a yellow fever shot for the cruise part, but you might need one for the visit to the falls. We had to get one to go down the Amazon River and they are very expensive and you usually have to go to a Travel Center in a Hospital. The shot is good for 10 years. We have a cruise booked on the Infinity in Feb. 2005 from Buenos Aires to Chile. Just got off one from Chile to Ft. Lauderdale on the Infinity. Have a good cruise.

Don

I believe you are required to have yellow fever for Brazil if your ship has first visited any of the western coast South America ports north of Chile, where yellow fever is also endemic.

My travel clinic advised it for anyone traveling to any area of Brazil, even if not required. You do see signs in nearly all Brazilian airports warning about dengue fever (which has no immunization) and these same areas are likely to be yellow fever areas. So even if not required, it sounds like it is advisable. I did have to pay a lot for mine, but had no side effects.

HA Constitution 1986

NCL Skyward 1988

Crystal Harmony 1992

Dawn Princess 1994

HA Independence 1995

Celebrity Zenith 1997

Grand Princess 1999

Regal Princess 2000

Crystal Harmony 2000

HAL Ryndam 2001

HAL Statendam 2003

RCI Vision of the Seas 2003

HAL Ryndam 2004

Hi Don, I am doing the Chile to Ft. Lauderdale in Feb.05. Please tell me what injections you needed, if any. Also, please give me some insight into the excursions and any other info that would be helpful. Did u do ship excursions or private tours. Were the drivers english speaking? Thanks for all your help. Lois -

Lois,

Our cruise left on the 14th of March and we took the pre cruise with Celebrity and stayed in the Sheraton downtown which isn't as nice as the other Sheraton, but is close where you can walk to some good places to eat. Had spent 2 days on a previous trip so didn't do any sight seeing, but rested up after the long flight down. We were on the cruise that Infinity had the problem with the pod on one side of the ship and we ran at reduce speed and had to skip stopping at Ecuador. We hadn't been there before and was disappointed, but made the best of it. They gave us $200 per cabin credit and had a couple of hours of free drinks. The ride from Santiago to Valparaiso is about 2 hours and very pretty scenery. You can do it without going through Celebrity, but felt better not having to worry about having to get there with the luggage that we had since some of the cabs are small size. Took a tour in Arica which was interesting and can't remember the name of it. The tour in Lima was the one that went to the gold museum which was o.k. Had been through the canal before and enjoyed it as usual. Took a little tour in Aruba which was a bus ride to places we had already been. I have problems with sun and have to try and stay away from it, so am limited to what I can do on a cruise with all the nice sun you can get. We enjoyed the cruise very much and especially like the "M" ships and the one back to SA will be our 2nd one on the Infinity plus one on the Constellation in the Baltic last year. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on tours, but in that part of the world we felt better on the ship excursions. We are in our mid 70's and feel better with a larger crowd. Hope this helps and have a great cruise.

Don

Rdowney (Roger) has given the best advise. Check out the site he listed and a local travel doc. Don’t wait until the last minute. Some of the inoculations need to be taken several weeks before traveling to the destination. We did this cruise in Feb ’04, our local travel clinic (staffed by University of Florida medical personnel) informed us yellow fever was necessary for people traveling to Iguazu Falls.

Hepatitis A is recommended and Hepatitus B wouldn't be a bad option. The Hepatitis A is a two shot vaccination with the shots separated by six months. There is a combined Hepatitus A & B which is a three shot series: the initial shot, a month later and then six months after the initial shot.

Typhoid and yellow fever (especially if you go inland in Brazil or if you are traveling outside the urban areas in Argentina) are recommended and are a little more difficult to line up. Yellow fever is particularly expensive costing over $100.00 per shot.

Booster doses for tetanus-diphtheria and measles are recommended as is an anti-malarial drug.

I hope this helps.

Sailing from Galveston aboard the Grand in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Cruise/Tour around Cape Horn in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;1;20;9;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

• 1 year later...

Hi BCHappyGal,

WE have booked a back to back cruise so that we sail out of Fort Lauderdale - through the Panama Canal then south downt he entire west coast of South America around the horn and ending in Buenos Aires. Once in Buenos Aires we plan to take a trip to see the Iguazu Falls.

Can anyone tell me if any shots are required for this cruise. We will be aboard Infinity.

Thanks for all your help and tips

Ann

We are travelling on the same itinerary, Norwegian Crown, departiing 4 Nov this year. Any chance you're on the same cruise? Have you found a good travel agent for Iguazu Falls?

Sue

Thanks JC, I checked again with Radisson today and they're still saying the only REQUIRED shot is the yellow fever. The others mentioned may be advisable but not required. (yes, we do go down the Amazon).

The only REQUIRED shot is yellow fever. However, you would be putting yourself at risk in South America WITHOUT at least Hep. A. Hep B is recommended as well as typhoid. Better to spend a few dollars and a little time and pain than become ill. In some parts of South America, you will feel you are truly in the third world, cruise ship or not. Medical care is horrible. Please at least get a Hep A shot.

We have taken the Hep A shots in the past for our trips to Mexico and the Caribbean. It is easily transmitted in food preparation. If you take a booster shot for about 6 months after the initial shot you get long term protection. The Hep A shot didn't hurt as much as a tetanus shot, which needs to be current even in the US, they last for 10 years.

jc

Archived