Another Roadblock for Solo Cruisers

Go-Bucks!

I've been reading the Carnival board lately and saw that there are quite a few CC cruises available that have just a $25 initial deposit! And the single room price was pretty good, even though there was a supplement. So I was just starting to get excited about booking my first solo cruise when I saw the "details" which say that singles must still pay the normal $250 deposit. I asked about this on one of the CC cruise threads, but the organizer of the cruise said she doesn't know why. Seems like it's bad enough that we have to pay so much more just for the room, but now we're discriminated against on the deposit too. These things discourage me and make me (a single) feel like I don't matter - only couples or groups do. Do any of you know why these deposits are different for singles?

I'm afraid that I don't know why the deposits would be any different. Yes, I do agree that we singles get discriminated against on a regular basis whether it be by cruise lines, our governments, whoever, whatever. They all seem to get away with it and there is little we can do about it except suck it up and live with it.

What I don't understand is why people get so excited about smaller deposits in the first place. By placing a smaller deposit now only makes the final payment larger. Makes no sense to me when, looking at the whole picture, you end up paying the same amount in the long run. Might as well put a bigger chunk down in the beginning and have less to pay at final payment time.

Liz

I've been reading the Carnival board lately and saw that there are quite a few CC cruises available that have just a $25 initial deposit! And the single room price was pretty good, even though there was a supplement. So I was just starting to get excited about booking my first solo cruise when I saw the "details" which say that singles must still pay the normal $250 deposit. I asked about this on one of the CC cruise threads, but the organizer of the cruise said she doesn't know why. Seems like it's bad enough that we have to pay so much more just for the room, but now we're discriminated against on the deposit too. These things discourage me and make me (a single) feel like I don't matter - only couples or groups do. Do any of you know why these deposits are different for singles?

I'm hosting a couple Cruise Critic cruises at the moment and I'm sailing solo on both. I found the same thing that you did however, as I'm booking a balcony guarantee, the 'second' passenger was TBA and I paid the $25/pp - total $50 deposit.

If you want to book a 1A then, yes, you'll have to pay the entire deposit. You might want to consider booking any guarantee and once you have $250 paid on your balance you can select a cabin, perhaps a 1A. ;)

Hope this helps.

... Do any of you know why these deposits are different for singles?

I do not know the answer to your question, but our Community Manager LauraS states the following in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow with our free membership:

... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you...

An e-mail to Management is the correct way for all members to get their questions, comments & concerns about Cruise Critic policies, technical matters or site feedback to a more beneficial place. Per Contact Us, e-mails regarding policies and site feedback go to community@cruisecritic.com. For technical matters, e-mails go to boards@cruisecritic.com. As stated in the Contact Us instructions, please remember to include your user name and e-mail of record with Cruise Critic. All e-mails are answered in the order received. With 339,011 members as I type this reply and e-mails being received 24/7, please be patient for your reply.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I'm afraid that I don't know why the deposits would be any different. Yes, I do agree that we singles get discriminated against on a regular basis whether it be by cruise lines, our governments, whoever, whatever. They all seem to get away with it and there is little we can do about it except suck it up and live with it.

What I don't understand is why people get so excited about smaller deposits in the first place. By placing a smaller deposit now only makes the final payment larger. Makes no sense to me when, looking at the whole picture, you end up paying the same amount in the long run. Might as well put a bigger chunk down in the beginning and have less to pay at final payment time.

Liz

I agree with you, on my upcoming sailing I went ahead and paid 50% of it down so I have less to pay at the end.

I only see an advantage if the cruise was over a year out and I really wanted to go and my money was tight at the time.

However, the person that making the arrangements for a group cruise needs to make sure that the deposit is equal for everyone.

I know that cruising solo is a pain with the extra pricing, but even with that, there are times when it's still cheaper than a land cruise. For example, the weekend after my birthday (it's in September), I was going to do a three day trip on the Florida coast. By the time I pay for hotel,car rental, gas and food, the cost is more than if I take a 4 day cruise out of Moblie.

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise

Maasdam 10/24/08-11/07/08

Do any of you know why these deposits are different for singles?

I would venture to guess that they fear a solo person would be more likely to cancel if they have only put a $25 deposit down. Couples and groups are probably less like to cancel since there are other people to consider and/or they won't be "alone".

Archived