What to do in Bermuda April 27th

Ottawa_cruise_man

My wife and I will be in Bermuda on April 27th 2008 from 9:00 AM till 4:00 PM. We were toying around the glass-bottom boat tour with a stop to go snorkling. However, I have read that the water temperatures might not be warm enough in late April. We are docking at King's Wharf - not sure we'll have time to do much.

Limitations: my wife is somewhat disabled, so long walking tours, bike rides, scooters and jet skis are out of the question.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies!

As you mentioned, water temperature is all relative - any idea what the water temperature is now?

From a Bermuda website.

Today is Tuesday - April 8, 2008

78016.gif

The forecast calls for cloudy/overcast conditions, with rain and/or showers

Winds will be moderate, southwesterly.... A high near 71F / 22C

Tonight will be overcast, with rain and/or showers.... A low near 62F / 17C

Sea surface temperature is 69F / 21C

Humidity level expected to be between 80% - 90%

Hey ottawa cruise man:)

we too will be in Bermuda on the 27th off the explorer :D

We (dh plus 2 boys 11 & 14) decided on the bike tour along the train line -- gotta do something to keep the boys active and work off the food for me!

decided it would be too coolish to do anything watery (dh is a fisherman off NJ coast so very familiar w/water temp, gulf stream, etc)

good luck finding something you like;)

From a Bermuda website.

Today is Tuesday - April 8, 2008

The forecast calls for cloudy/overcast conditions, with rain and/or showers

78016.gif

Winds will be moderate, southwesterly.... A high near 71F / 22C

Tonight will be overcast, with rain and/or showers.... A low near 62F / 17C

Sea surface temperature is 69F / 21C

Humidity level expected to be between 80% - 90%

Thank you so much! Real cool!:)

We (dh plus 2 boys 11 & 14) decided on the bike tour along the train line -- gotta do something to keep the boys active and work off the food for me!

decided it would be too coolish to do anything watery (dh is a fisherman off NJ coast so very familiar w/water temp, gulf stream, etc)

You're on our cruise? I didn't See you on the roll call thread (click here).

Don't forget to bring your pink boa, and pink t-shirts for your brood!:D

Biking, eh? well, good luck! You won't have problems being cold with all the exercise.:)

We did book it thru RCI, took some fancy footwork;) since they took so long posting the Bermuda excursions for our 4/25 Explorer cruise (we had decided on 1/2 doing the bike and 1/2 doing the fishing but, alas, fishing not offered this time:( ) by the time we made up our multiple minds and I went to book the bike tour it was full. Had to email the excursions coordinator, beg and plead (also to allow the 11 y.o. on the zip line in PR after they cancelled the one in St. Maarten due to a Carnival parade -- I thought carnival was in February???) but they took pity on us and squeezed us in.

Anyway, there are 2 for Bermuda, one is a regular bike (have to be 54" tall -- 11 y.o. just made it:D in shoes!) and the other is a motor assisted bike so you don't have to pedal as much. We need all the exercise we can get so we can EAT MORE!!!:eek:

Hope that helps! Good luck and have fun, it is vacation!

You're on our cruise? I didn't See you on the roll call thread (click here).

Don't forget to bring your pink boa, and pink t-shirts for your brood!:D

Biking, eh? well, good luck! You won't have problems being cold with all the exercise.:)

The weather was the primary reason for the bike tour.

My boys are actually going on a Boy Scout Bike Hike the weekend before we leave so they will be pretty tired - oh well.

Normally we are more water folk (live at the beach and all) but we like it WARM!!! so biking it is:D

I have been on the roll call -- even posted but then it gets so busy I lose track of where everyone is and who everyone is. Hopefull, since you all will be so visible:p with the boas and all, will be able to catch up with you on the ship. Sounds like a fun crew - hope to see you out dancing!

I have been on the roll call -- even posted but then it gets so busy I lose track of where everyone is and who everyone is. Hopefull, since you all will be so visible:p with the boas and all, will be able to catch up with you on the ship. Sounds like a fun crew - hope to see you out dancing!

Will you be at the meet 'n mingle?

Will you be at the meet 'n mingle?

did not register for the meet n mingle -- dh and boys like to explore (the explorer;) ) so will be doing that - new ship for us. And they always say don't register if you aren't coming so don't want to cause a problem:o . I am sure I will notice all of you PBS people:D

Doesn't sound like too many kids on this one

hope all your excursions work out!

Hi,

I'm so glad to hear you have 2 boys going in the explorer. We have triplet boys that are 12 years old and thought they might be the only ones on the ship. We also are from NJ, Forked River. Are you doing the bike tour though the ship or on your own? This is only our 2nd cruise and I have nothing planned. I'm starting to panick.:)

My wife and I will be in Bermuda on April 27th 2008 from 9:00 AM till 4:00 PM. We were toying around the glass-bottom boat tour with a stop to go snorkling. However, I have read that the water temperatures might not be warm enough in late April. We are docking at King's Wharf - not sure we'll have time to do much.

Limitations: my wife is somewhat disabled, so long walking tours, bike rides, scooters and jet skis are out of the question.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

There is a Sedgeway tour available at the dockyard (KIng's Wharf). It looked like a fun adventure when we were in Bermuda in October. They take the time to teach you how to use it and then go around the dockyard area for about an hour or so.

There is a mall with some interesting stores and a crafts market. We bought some beautiful photography books of Bermuda at one store and a Bermuda logoed tie and windbreaker at another store (Davidson's). Don't forget to stop at Hagen Daz and have an ice cream cone. The crafts market had a lot of locally made jewellry and crafts, very interesting.

There is a glass blowing studio which has glass blowing demonstations for free. Don't miss the free samples from the rum cake shop, where you can try the different flavors and some to take home.

If you like history, the British Maritime museum is open until 4 PM and has a lot of interesting exhibits. The commissoner's house has great displays and an extensive collection of American and British coins.

Swimming with the dolphins is located within the grounds and you can sit on the benches and just watch for free. The dolphins will swim within feet of you.

There is also a big statue of Neptune just after you enter that is great for photos.

You can also take bus excursions from the dockyard to tour the area.

I believe that they cover the usual tourist spots such as Horseshoe Bay Beach (beautiful water and the famous pink beaches) and probably Gibbs lighthouse.

You could also just take the ferry over to Hamilton as it is the capital and plenty to see and do there. The ferry ride is a nice trip as well.

I hope this gives you some more options. Enjoy your short taste of Bermuda as it will encourage you to come back for a longer stay.:)

Hi,

I'm so glad to hear you have 2 boys going in the explorer. We have triplet boys that are 12 years old and thought they might be the only ones on the ship. We also are from NJ, Forked River. Are you doing the bike tour though the ship or on your own? This is only our 2nd cruise and I have nothing planned. I'm starting to panick.:)

my boys are 11 and 14 -- soooo glad to avoid the whole airline mess:o

we booked the bike tour thru the cruise line - glad too, looks like bermuda is going to be windy (just checked) Had some trouble booking it because they filled up with online reservations - maybe you will be able to book it from the ship if you want. Right now my boys don't even want to look at a bike since they just got back from a cycling trip (over 15 miles in 1 day - whew!) but hopefully by Sunday they will be doing better.

Don't stress over the planning - it is still vacation! (this is only our 2nd cruise too - still doing the ships excursions mostly even tho they are more expensive.

We don't have anything for St Maarten and I am thinking of doing the beach thing on our own - will have to run it by "the boss" (lol)

Only 4 days to go:D

see you on the ship!

writeratsea

thanks for all that info -- hopefully we will have time after our bike tour to check out all the crafts and especially the glassblower - my boys love stuff like that (of course the haagen daz just goes without saying:D )

Everyone I have told that I am going to Bermuda have asked me to let them know what it is like - funny - Bermuda isn't that far away and no one I know has been there.

I am sure this is just the 1st of a long line of Bermuda trips - from what I have heard it is just wonderful

thanks again for all the suggestions

writeratsea

thanks for all that info -- hopefully we will have time after our bike tour to check out all the crafts and especially the glassblower - my boys love stuff like that (of course the haagen daz just goes without saying:D )

Everyone I have told that I am going to Bermuda have asked me to let them know what it is like - funny - Bermuda isn't that far away and no one I know has been there.

I am sure this is just the 1st of a long line of Bermuda trips - from what I have heard it is just wonderful

thanks again for all the suggestions

Even though Bermuda is nearby, it has gotten quite pricey. The cruise is the way to go as it costs about half what a land/air vacation is. In a departure for us, we are going to fly in on May 17 and stay 8 days at a cottage that we rented. I got a good deal on Delta and it was only $750 for the two of us round trip. The cottage was another $1200 for a total of $2000. Not bad, but the cruise last year was $1470 for an oceanview and includes your food.

I have been going to Bermuda since 1967 and my family since the 1920's. It really is an amazing place similar to Disney World. Just relax and take your time to enjoy yourselves. I never get tired of going there for some unexplainable reason. Just like I can never get tired of visiting Cape Cod.

You will be planning how soon you can come back to Bermuda on the day you sadly have to leave.:)

my boys are 11 and 14 -- soooo glad to avoid the whole airline mess:o

we booked the bike tour thru the cruise line - glad too, looks like bermuda is going to be windy (just checked) Had some trouble booking it because they filled up with online reservations - maybe you will be able to book it from the ship if you want. Right now my boys don't even want to look at a bike since they just got back from a cycling trip (over 15 miles in 1 day - whew!) but hopefully by Sunday they will be doing better.

Don't stress over the planning - it is still vacation! (this is only our 2nd cruise too - still doing the ships excursions mostly even tho they are more expensive.

We don't have anything for St Maarten and I am thinking of doing the beach thing on our own - will have to run it by "the boss" (lol)

Only 4 days to go:D

see you on the ship!

Hi,

Wow!

This is so much help - I hope to meet you guys on board. Please drop by with your kids at the meet-n-mingle - even if it's just for a few short minutes: I'd love to meet such nice people that are so helpful here!

There is a Sedgeway tour available at the dockyard (KIng's Wharf). It looked like a fun adventure when we were in Bermuda in October. They take the time to teach you how to use it and then go around the dockyard area for about an hour or so.

There is a mall with some interesting stores and a crafts market. We bought some beautiful photography books of Bermuda at one store and a Bermuda logoed tie and windbreaker at another store (Davidson's). Don't forget to stop at Hagen Daz and have an ice cream cone. The crafts market had a lot of locally made jewellry and crafts, very interesting.

There is a glass blowing studio which has glass blowing demonstations for free. Don't miss the free samples from the rum cake shop, where you can try the different flavors and some to take home.

If you like history, the British Maritime museum is open until 4 PM and has a lot of interesting exhibits. The commissoner's house has great displays and an extensive collection of American and British coins.

Swimming with the dolphins is located within the grounds and you can sit on the benches and just watch for free. The dolphins will swim within feet of you.

There is also a big statue of Neptune just after you enter that is great for photos.

You can also take bus excursions from the dockyard to tour the area.

I believe that they cover the usual tourist spots such as Horseshoe Bay Beach (beautiful water and the famous pink beaches) and probably Gibbs lighthouse.

You could also just take the ferry over to Hamilton as it is the capital and plenty to see and do there. The ferry ride is a nice trip as well.

I hope this gives you some more options. Enjoy your short taste of Bermuda as it will encourage you to come back for a longer stay.:)

I hope so - I love the cruising part, but I'd love to experience staying at a beach for the whole day, and watch the sun set without having to worry about getting back on board on time.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hey Ottawa.. Orleans here.. Not sure if I am posting this too late, but you are going to love Bermuda, if you have never been.. We took the Explorer there last May, and although the locals do not go into the water, we found it quite warm.. (hey we live in Ottawa after all).. Went to Horseshoe Bay, just on the local city busses, great beach! Another nice place to visit is St. George (little English village, quite historic), and you can take a ferry boat there, right from the Royal Naval Dockyards.. Then again, you can spend a whole day in the RNDyards as well. Lots to do in Beautiful Bermuda. When we were there last year, Hamilton was in a bit of a mess, since there was a lot of construction going on.. It is usually quite lovely, but there were construction trucks everywhere, so we did not spend much time there. Nice brew pub at the Dockyards that my daughter, son in law and husband liked, while I ran around taking pics of everything.. I LOVE BERMUDA! (can you tell).. Also, I LOVED the Explorer.. it is one of my all time favorite ships. Beautiful layout and shopping promenade.. Even a Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream parlor.. Enjoy your trip.. and I am so jealous. We just got off the NCL Gem to Bahamas.. not nearly as nice a ship or trip.. but hey, we gave it a try.. I want to go back to Bermuda.. Been there twice, and cruising is the only way to go!

have a great trip.. hope to hear how you liked it..

Hey Ottawa.. Orleans here.. Not sure if I am posting this too late, but you are going to love Bermuda, if you have never been.. We took the Explorer there last May, and although the locals do not go into the water, we found it quite warm.. (hey we live in Ottawa after all).. Went to Horseshoe Bay, just on the local city busses, great beach! Another nice place to visit is St. George (little English village, quite historic), and you can take a ferry boat there, right from the Royal Naval Dockyards.. Then again, you can spend a whole day in the RNDyards as well. Lots to do in Beautiful Bermuda. When we were there last year, Hamilton was in a bit of a mess, since there was a lot of construction going on.. It is usually quite lovely, but there were construction trucks everywhere, so we did not spend much time there. Nice brew pub at the Dockyards that my daughter, son in law and husband liked, while I ran around taking pics of everything.. I LOVE BERMUDA! (can you tell).. Also, I LOVED the Explorer.. it is one of my all time favorite ships. Beautiful layout and shopping promenade.. Even a Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream parlor.. Enjoy your trip.. and I am so jealous. We just got off the NCL Gem to Bahamas.. not nearly as nice a ship or trip.. but hey, we gave it a try.. I want to go back to Bermuda.. Been there twice, and cruising is the only way to go!

have a great trip.. hope to hear how you liked it..

Hey neighbour! Thanks for the info - I think we might go to horseshoe Bay - get some snorkelling in.

Just in NY right now - gonna board the Explorer in a few short/long hours!

Thanks for all the great tips! :)

Archived