Kids in Pinnacle Grill

jerseygirl3

[quote name='iceman93']Nope, not safety. There is a very vocal minority here who feel that the very presence of children detracts from the experience they expect from a HAL cruise.

And regarding your second point, my concern would be that if a cruise line representative DID peruse these boards that they could be swayed by that very vocal minority (on this or any other issue) and get a skewed view of what passengers really want. This is not a very good mini focus group because the demographics have not been sorted at all. It's fun for us to chat, and we can learn a lot from each others' experiences, but HAL can't do much more than consider anything they read here to be only marginally useful.[/quote]

Oh, I somewhat more than marginal I think.:)

[quote name='CowPrincess']Which is the reason some of us object to children in a fine dining setting. DH & I have had too many dinners ruined by someone's little darling being out of control, screaming and crying or running around, and the parents sitting there totally oblivious or uncaring. I will no longer accept a table in a fine dining establishment that seats me by or near children. If the children are well-behaved, and I'm not sitting by them, I miss nothing. If they are NOT well-behaved, they can "contribute" to someone else's evening.

I didn't develop my opinion in a vacuum -- if I'd not had numerous encounters with "adjourned" parents and their out of control children, I wouldn't have developed any opinion.[/quote]

CowPrincess, I agree. I always advise the hostess that I do not want to be seated near families with children. Since we do not patronize family oriented restaurants as a rule, it is generally not a problem.

I would also prefer that the PG be an adult restaurant, even if it is only after a certain hour. That is one of the few things I prefer about Celebrity. They have and enforce an age limit at their specialty restaurants.

Insofar as dispruptive adults, IME staff seems to have no issue asking adults to leave if they become disorderly but will avoid confrontations with parents who feel their kids are behaving just fine - kids will be kids - even though other passengers may not agree.

[quote name='JerseyJaguar']This thread reminds me of threads at the disney boards. All of the parents who post there have children who love elegant dining and have never acted up in nice restaurants too.[/quote]

In all my years on these boards, I have yet to read a post from a parent who says their children are less than well behaved angles. Funny how this works out.

[quote name='hammybee']In all my years on these boards, I have yet to read a post from a parent who says their children are less than well behaved [B]angles[/B]. [/quote]

And they're always [I]acute[/I], never [I]obtuse[/I].... ;)

[quote name='JerseyJaguar']This thread reminds me of threads at the disney boards. All of the parents who post there have children who love elegant dining and have never acted up in nice restaurants too.[/quote]

LOL It is not just the Disney board but all the CC boards.:D

[quote name='hammybee']In all my years on these boards, I have yet to read a post from a parent who says their children are less than well behaved angles. Funny how this works out.[/quote]
Once and only once have I read this and it was on the Hal board. :)

[quote name='AerynSun_JohnCrighton']Having worked in retail and now as a Substitute Teacher..

let me tell you... those parents who claim the kids are well behaved... well...I'm sitting here about to laugh myself off my chair...

but having said that... I have met SOME well behaved kids.[/quote]

I always laugh myself silly when I read about all the well behaved kids. :D

[quote name='GeriatricNurse']

[B][I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5]On Celebrity, we NEVER saw children in the alternative dining venue, ....[/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B][/quote]

I have seen children in the specialty restaurants on Celebrity. A significant difference is, I think, Celebrity charges for the children, as they do adults, regardless of what the children actually eat. This may discourage many parents from bringing their children.

About two-thirds of all cruises sail with very few children because either they sail during school or the number of days/intinerary are not conducive to typical family vacations.

[quote name='gizmo']
Once and only once have I read this and it was on the Hal board. :)
[/quote]

Hey, that might have been my post, referring to my DD who with a friend, swiped a giant allegator made out of bread and made a leash and paraded him around the ship. Eventually, they got caught by an officer and were told to toss him overboard. Many days later, when packing to go home, I discovered him in our closet wrapped in plastic. :eek:

This was not however, on HAL.

[quote name='hammybee']I have seen children in the specialty restaurants on Celebrity. A significant difference is, I think, Celebrity charges for the children, as they do adults, regardless of what the children actually eat. This may discourage many parents from bringing their children.
[/quote]

Interesting as we were married on X in late 2006 and were not permitted to have our wedding dinner in their specialty venue as children under 13 were not permitted. I was told there were no exceptions.

I don't understand why so few believe that well mannered children actually do exist. They really do. That's not to say that I have never seen a child misbehave or one of my one hasn't ever misbehaved. Of course it happens, but I have at least taught my kids to respect the situation they are in -- whether it be dressing appropriately for an occasion or event, or, yes, behaving well in public. Trust me, I have a family member who has a terribly misbehaved child. She's 18 now and is no better now than when she was three. My own kids can't stand to be around the little darling and are amazed how her parents let her get away with murder.

I'm still in favor of allowing kids in the specialty restaurants.

It amazes me that you can get a kid free dinner on Disney but not on HAL. Something wrong with that picture. We are booked in PG for our anniversary. If seated with kids, will ask for a refund and eat room service. Dont like special events with other peoples brats.

[quote name='Jim Avery']It amazes me that you can get a kid free dinner on Disney but not on HAL. Something wrong with that picture. We are booked in PG for our anniversary. If seated with kids, will ask for a refund and eat room service. Dont like special events with other peoples brats.[/quote]

We'll be celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary while on the Noordam in December.

I was considering the PG, myself.... am starting to have second thoughts, though. :o Room service dinners in the raw can be alot of fun. ;)

Amazing.

My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary at a truly amazing restaurant about two hours outside of Washington, DC. It is an unbelievable place that is well known around here; very romantic, expensive and has food to die for. In the restaurant at the same time was a family, also there to have a special dinner. They had a couple kids with them. It in no way even remotely detracted from my dining experience or my evening with my husband. Frankly, I was more offended that the whole family (including the parents and other adults) were quite inappropriately dressed for the place (eg: jeans).

[quote name='NoNoNanette']We'll be celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary while on the Noordam in December.

I was considering the PG, myself.... am starting to have second thoughts, though. :o Room service dinners in the raw can be alot of fun. ;)[/quote]

Don't change your plans. We have had dinner at the PG about a dozen times in the last three cruises. We dine late and have never seen children.

Enjoy!

On the Zuiderdam we were a table of 4 adults. Directly behind us was a large extended family, the youngest of whom I'm guessing was 18-24 months. IMHO a totally inappropriate venue for a child this age. She let her displeasure at being kept in a highchair known to all of us seated nearby. I believe it was the GF's birthday, and the poor child was kept there until his birthday cake was served.

Did it spoil our experience? You bet. I now have 2 rules for PG, no dining in the passageway and nowhere near very young children. YMMV

[quote name='caviargal']Don't change your plans. We have had dinner at the PG about a dozen times in the last three cruises. We dine late and have never seen children.

Enjoy![/quote]

Thank you for the kind wishes. :)

[quote name='Softball20']Amazing.

My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary at a truly amazing restaurant about two hours outside of Washington, DC. It is an unbelievable place that is well known around here; very romantic, expensive and has food to die for. In the restaurant at the same time was a family, also there to have a special dinner. They had a couple kids with them. It in no way even remotely detracted from my dining experience or my evening with my husband. Frankly, I was more offended that the whole family (including the parents and other adults) were quite inappropriately dressed for the place (eg: jeans).[/quote]

I don't know of any land based restuarants that preclude children and I am hard -pressed to think of one that would deny someone, showing up in jeans.

[quote name='lawyerrose']NO, NO, PLEASE NO CHILDREN IN THE PG!!!!!!!!!!:( ARE YOU LISTENING, HAL?? NO KIDS AT DINNER IN THE PG!! We adults must protect our few (getting fewer by the day) places where we can enjoy adults-only ambiance.

<ok, I'm ducking now>[/QUOTE]
Just dine late and you won't have any problem. That's the same technique I use in the dining room. Families with younger children rarely dine late. The kids can't wait that long to eat, and then the parents wind up plying them with treats from the Lido to "hold them over," to the point that when dinnertime comes, the kids hardly eat a thing. Then to make matters worse, they are "wired" all not from all that sugar and keep the parents up half the night.

So, just schedule your PG dinners late'ish and I doubt you'll ever encounter a child.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='dakrewser']Yes. The venue should have a [I]behavior[/I] limit. There are many 30-year-olds (and 40-, 50-, 60- and 70-year olds) who don't know how to behave in a refined restaurant. On the other hand, there are a number of 8-, 10- and 12-year olds who do.

I don't believe in serving "chicken nuggets" to anyone in the PG, however. It has a menu and that's what the diners should be chosing from.[/QUOTE]
If anyone on this board thinks HAL is gonna prohibit children from dining in the Pinnacle with their parents, then they are living in a dream world.

We've covered this before on these boards ... children in the lounges, in the adult pools, playing adult-type games like team trivia, etc., etc. HAL is trying to draw the family market, so they are certainly not going to limit children from participating in any age appropriate activities, including dining in the Pinnacle.

However, that said, I think a certain atmosphere should be maintained in that venue, and if children are "acting up," I think the parents should be asked to remove them. I also don't think kids should be allowed to order off the dining room menu and avoid the $30 surcharge. As long as the Pinnacle does not have a children's menu, I think there should at least be a reduced charge for the kids, regardless of what they order ... say perhaps $15 instead of $30.

As I said before, the only way to "deal" with the children problem is to avoid them. As to the Pinnacle, that means dining later in the evening when the younger children will probably be in bed.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='lawyerrose']A nice, civilized 15 year old is not a problem.[/QUOTE]
It's the screaming baby and the rambuctious toddler that is.

Personally, I think charging $30 per person regardless of age is the way to go. While it won't prohibit children in the Pinnacle, it will at least discourage the parents from bringing them there.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='CocoKai']Everyone goes up in arms when HAL is compared to a cranky old person floating assisted living ship. I don't know......read this thread and there may be some truth to that "rumor."[/quote]

Well, I'm a cranky old broad who's pushing fifty. One of the reasons that I LOVE HAL is because of the lack of children.

We all have favorite lines for a reason.

*Some go for "traditional dining".
*Others choose "formal dress".
*Some want to be able to smoke in their cabin or on their balcony.
*I happen to enjoy being surrounded by adults.

No big deal. We're all different. The concept of "fun on vacation" can mean different things to different folks. :)

[quote name='dakrewser']What about a nice, civilized 14 year old? 12? 10? Below which age can you guarantee they are not "civilized"?

Also, what about an uncivilized 40-something year old? I find many more of those on my cruises than uncivilized teens...[/QUOTE]
That's why you can't just blanket prohibit children, except possibly the very young, in the Pinnacle. It has to be behavior-driven ... but of course it won't be.

I wonder what would happen if an extended family were dining in there one night ... perhaps they got vouchers from their travel agent so it is not costing them anything. They've got mom and dad, the grandparents, brother and his wife, and maybe about six kids, two of which are toddlers, eating in there. The toddlers are getting "rammy" as toddlers will, and before you know it, mom has them out of their high chairs and running around the restaurant. Wonder if the Pinnacle staff would look the other way, or would ask that the children be removed?

Ditto for a couple of screaming babies. Wonder if the parents would be asked to remove them or if the Pinnacle staff would just turn their heads?

Don't forget ... this is a very real possibly now that travel agents are giving out vouchers for a "Pinnacle Grill Experience" to some of their clients. If you have a large family group traveling together, chances are they will get these vouchers as part of their group bennies. Naturally, if the dinner is free, they're gonna want to take advantage of it. If they know that the kiddies can order off the dining room menu, so there won't be any extra charge for them, of course they're gonna bring the kiddies ... and too bad if the other diners don't like it. After all, if the family group is traveling together, just what are they supposed to do with the kids while they eat in the Pinnacle, especially if some of them are too young for the kids club? Of course, they're going to bring them along.

I just wonder how the Pinnacle staff will handle this sort of thing if the children are bothering other diners?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived