Leaving next week for Avalon Tranquility Cruise (Tulip Time).. some questions ???

gsquaredstwins

One, I would like to pack half of the clothing I will need for this trip.. and let them do laundry for some items so that I can considerably cut down on my packing.

Does anyone know the prices of the laundry service ? I don't mind doing this and paying normal fees- but I won't plan on doing this if the fee's are ridiculously expensive ?

Does anyone know what the optional tours are onboard this cruise (and if they are worth it / what shouldn't be missed)? I have not received any paperwork yet for this sailing.

Is there a whirlpool or anything on this cruise? If so I will need to pack a bathing suit.

Anything else I should know about or pack to make my trip more enjoyable ? I've cruised (Ocean Cruising over 20+ times)- but River Crusing is completely new to me (and I know it is a completely different experience).

Thank you in advance...

Gina

Gina,

I just took a look at the Avalon website and found that the excursions are shown there:

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/product.aspx?content=optionals&trip=8WAA

I wish I could help you on the excursions but other than what is being offered .... on our trip, Magnificent Europe, we have the same three Amsterdam tours offered.

I agree that packing half of what you think you will need is what I plan to do. Our trip is 2+ weeks ... I am taking 4 or 5 pair of black jeans, one pair of dress slacks, one skirt, and tops that I can use for layering. And, of course, good walking shoes, raincoat, umbrella ... Our last trip was a month long trip to Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii and San Francisco ... everything fit into one suitcase, but it was just at the weight limit for the flights.

Have a wonderful trip ...

Gina,

I looked at the tours that were offered for your trip and I, personally,would do them on my own. Both of the Art Musuems are very easy to get to and admission is a nominal fee. I prefer the Rijk. over the Van Gogh but that is just my personal preference. If you go on your own you are not under any time retraints either. One thing I would try to do while in Amsterdam is to go to the Anne Frank House. Amsterdam is a wonderful city to just walk around.

I can't comment on the other optional tours because we didn't do them. We also leave next week for the "Tulips and Windmills" cruise on Uniworld. One suggestion that was made to me was to go to the Keukonhoff Gardens on our own before the cruise because the cruse tour only allows about 2 1/1 hours and that is not enough. We are going to fly in 2 days early and spend time on our own at the Gardens and not feel rushed.

I am with you on the packing--always bring too much. This is a hard trip to pack for because the weather will be chilly ( or maybe even cold) and then you want a little nicer clothes for dinner. It is hard to keep the weight down.

enjoy your trip.

micked10

Gina...One of the highlights on our visit to Amsterdam several years ago was the excursion to the Aalsmeer Flower Auction. It was unbelievable! Don't know how you could arrange it on your own (it was included on our GCT trip) but you might check an Amsterdam visitors website. Hope you are not too early to see the tulips!

Dorothy

I found this in a member review from their 2007 trip with Avalon.

Laundry was outrageously priced (around $7 for a pair of pants) but properly and nicely done. There is no dry cleaning. A pair of socks cost 1.50 euros to clean, so pack instant-dry items when possible. My wife did a few loads of wash in the sink, a messy and time-consuming process.

Hope it helps,

MSEM2

One, I would like to pack half of the clothing I will need for this trip.. and let them do laundry for some items so that I can considerably cut down on my packing.

Does anyone know the prices of the laundry service ? I don't mind doing this and paying normal fees- but I won't plan on doing this if the fee's are ridiculously expensive ?

Does anyone know what the optional tours are onboard this cruise (and if they are worth it / what shouldn't be missed)? I have not received any paperwork yet for this sailing.

Is there a whirlpool or anything on this cruise? If so I will need to pack a bathing suit.

Anything else I should know about or pack to make my trip more enjoyable ? I've cruised (Ocean Cruising over 20+ times)- but River Crusing is completely new to me (and I know it is a completely different experience).

Thank you in advance...

Gina

Hi Gina:

I hate to break the very bad news to you. Whatever you have to pay for in Euros is going to be very, very expensive, if you convert it into the good (OK, not so good anymore, ole' US Dollars). At present rate of exchange, for most people, everything is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive.

Including your laundry. If you can afford to pay for their service, do so. If you must wash on the spot or pack up more... you're getting the message.

One more cultural thing: Europeans are as saving as everyone else. They save day in and day out in order to afford a vacation that is at least one notch above their usual standing. Many of them go by the rule, 'if you cannot afford it, do not do it'. So, if you encounter lesser smiles, once your laundry lines are discovered, be prepared for it.

MS AVALON Traquility does not have a whirlpool.

At the published USD $ prices, AVALON excursions are at a bargain. They are troublefree and well-organized and always fully-guided. Time is always a major asset, when you are cruising in Europe. Waiting in line for the public transportation in Amsterdam rain, while the clock is ticking and possibly missing greatest sights and relevant explanations simply because you do not have a qualified guide at your side is not worth the little saving you may or may not make, if you try to do the things on your own.

Last but not least: river cruising is a laid-back experience. Packing formal clothes is really not recommendable. One set of smart-casual for the Captain's Gala and possibly a concert evening will usually do.

Enjoy your cruise!

EURiverCruiser

• 9 months later...

U River Cruiser: Does smart casual refer to a sports coat and tie or open necked shirt or shirt with tie and no jacket. Thanks for clarifying that for us. We will be on the 20-day cruise so don't want to waste space with a jacket if not many wear them. Thanks again.

Sometimes it depends on the cruise line. DH hasn't taken a sport jacket since our first river cruise--never wore it. Our last one was a Christmas market cruise. We did see more dress up the on any other one. The summer cruises tend to be more casual. Sometimes you arrive back from being ashore with hardly any time to get to the pre-dinner breifing. If you are the type person who usually wears a jacket, then do so. Summer in Europe can be quite warm-read down right hot. Pat

Archived