I am starting to freak out about having a balcony...

AJI2596

Good to see there are other parents who are as paranoid as I am about balconies and toddlers. We booked AOS for 4/5/09 and chose two oceanview rooms on Deck 3. We were offered the opportunity to upgrade to balconies but I was scared about having my 5 and 3 yr old DD's on that balcony.

But judging from the pics from Cruisinmama06, the balcony has a solid sheet of glass instead of metal railings. It loooks to be almost 4 feet high. As long as we keep them from standing on the chairs (which they don't typically do) we should be fine. That makes me feel a lot better. This would be our first balcony and have already called TA to see if the same deal still exists.

Now if I could just get my wife to relax....

Thanks for the info.

Good to see there are other parents who are as paranoid as I am about balconies and toddlers. We booked AOS for 4/5/09 and chose two oceanview rooms on Deck 3. We were offered the opportunity to upgrade to balconies but I was scared about having my 5 and 3 yr old DD's on that balcony.

But judging from the pics from Cruisinmama06, the balcony has a solid sheet of glass instead of metal railings. It loooks to be almost 4 feet high. As long as we keep them from standing on the chairs (which they don't typically do) we should be fine. That makes me feel a lot better. This would be our first balcony and have already called TA to see if the same deal still exists.

Now if I could just get my wife to relax....

Thanks for the info.

Yes the glass on the AOS balconies are almost 4 feet high but in the Voyager class there is actually a metal border enclosing it all. I'll go grab a pic I saw yesterday and link it here....

Ok, right here, halfway down the page is a picture posted by Sue (post #7)...that is a picture of an Explorer balcony but Adventure looks the same.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=748184

So as long as it's not an aft balcony (posted at the bottom of that link) there are no metal bars, it's glass.

While I am not worried about the balcony, my DH is. He is so worried that he has said he do not feel like he can take another cruise if we are with the kids in a balcony cabin-

We sailed on NCL in a Jr suite with balcony and since he was nervous he was always checking on the kids to make sure they were ok- it was kinda not worth it.

We sailed on Golden and had a porthole and I thought I would hate it- but it was nto really bad a t all-

and I figure, with more cruise if we get an outside cabin:)

Here's a picture of my DD, then age 6, on the Diamond Princess a year ago. We had a Caribe deck balcony. As you can see, the rail is pretty high, plus below are the uncovered balconies for the minisuites on Dolphin deck. I felt she was quite safe.

--Junglejane

1423516308_DiamondPrincessCaribeBalcony.jpg.b3908e5eaa4dc734059565594bb280db.jpg

• 8 months later...
If your kids tend NOT to fall off your porch or deck at home, they won't fall off the balcony!

we don't own either, so don't know.

But when she was 11 months old, she wandered onto the balcony of a 5th floor Maui hotel room and was reaching through the railing before we realized where she was. So you'll understand our concern.

are all lines and ships glass-enclosed balconies? Are there any that still have metal slats?

I replied to you on your other thread...the answer to this question is - it depends.

Some older Carnival ships still have metal with no plastic behind it.

The newer ships are usually glass. I posted pictures of each on your other thread.

• 4 months later...
Cruisinmama! thanks for posting pics of the balcony..I am considering getting a suite balcony with a 3 year old and a 18 month old...do you have a pic of the balcony on Explorer of the seas?

Yep, just did a search on web shots and found this...

It's Explorer of the Seas

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2480674250096448286uuYuuT

The AFT balconies - the ones at the very back of the ship have metal railings not glass. All of the side balconies have glass.

My Mom is making me paranoid that my 2 yr old son is going to try and go over board. And it is making me nuts. Are the railings high? Are they all the way to the ground?

Thanks in advance:(

Maybe I am missing something here, but the following photo is from your collection and seems to answer your own questions ...

2561178710100827055S600x600Q85.jpg

Maybe I am missing something here, but the following photo is from your collection and seems to answer your own questions ...

HAHAHAHAHAHA yeah you are missing that the OP posted this thread over a year ago and has already completed her cruise. ;)

The thread was revived by someone asking a new question. (see a few posts above yours) :D

HAHAHAHAHAHA yeah you are missing that the OP posted this thread over a year ago and has already completed her cruise. ;)

The thread was revived by someone asking a new question. (see a few posts above yours) :D

Oh. :)

Archived