America to Australia - Half Price

Aussie Cruisers

I think Virgin is trying to match the Qantas Aussie pass promotion that is being advertised on television in Canada and the US. You can fly from LA or San Francisco for $850 return which includes 2 domestic flights within Australia. The $850 is in May or August but $1350 in other months.

Here is the link to the Qantas Aussie pass, I just noticed it said for exclusive for Canada but I'm sure if you call they can link to the US site:

http://www.australia.com/centric/trade/canada/promotions/campaign_canada_qantas_aussie_airpass/campaign_canada_qantas_airpass_more_info_en.htm

I remember reading about a month ago that a new "Open Skies" agreement between the US & Australia will allow more carriers will be able to fly between the US & Australia.
And the official launch of V Australia is the first concrete step that's been taken following the new agreement.

I think (although this is just from memory) that Jetstar, Qantas' low-fare subsidiary, is also intending to operate flights between Australia and the US. So there may be more yet to come. But I've got no idea about likely timescales.

Archived