Walk to caves?

In2why

From what I understand....Belize is HOT, muggy, and HOT. :)

Is the walk to the beginning of the caves a leisurely stroll, or is it a hike? I am one of those people that can not handle heat and a lot of activity. But if it is a nice walk and you cross the river enough to cool off, then I guess it would be fine?

From what I understand....Belize is HOT, muggy, and HOT. :)

Is the walk to the beginning of the caves a leisurely stroll, or is it a hike? I am one of those people that can not handle heat and a lot of activity. But if it is a nice walk and you cross the river enough to cool off, then I guess it would be fine?

Depends when you are going. I have been there in the summer as well as the Winter.... either way I was by no means too hot, but it does get warm. The hike is apporx. 30 - 45 minutes...many parts are level ground but some uphill. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes or water shoes that can get messyy as you are in a rain fiorest and things do get a little messy and slippery. Also remember to bring insect repellant with "Deet" to keep those mosquitoes from nibbling at ya ! Have a GREAT time.... it is a tour you will always remember.

I'd say it is between a leisurely stroll and a hike. Not too difficult, but as the previous poster said, it is on dirt paths with a few rocks, roots, ups and downs, etc. For me, since I walk often, it seemed pretty easy.

We went in Dec. and it was about 80. I didn't get warm from the walk; it's very shady most of the way, and we weren't going very fast. But it might be much, much different as to heat if you are going in the summer.

We found it to be a easy walk even in the rain. We all wore water shoes. I am sure it can get muggy, but definitely not sunny as you are walking through a canopy of trees at all time. In fact our guide, Major Tom, told us not to bring hats or sunglasses as we would not need them.

You finish the tubing basically right back where the walk started, so you only have maybe a minute or 2 walk from the end back to the parking lot. The walk on the way in to start tubing isn't a demanding walk at all, but took us about 35 minutes walking at a decent clip (though our guide, Vitalino Reyes) did stop often to pass on information about different plants and their uses, as well as show us things like termite nests.

Just curious....I am going here in June and wondered........is there a walk involved after the tubing???? Or do you end near where the transportation is?

Thanks!

Holly

I was just coming to ask this one too.

• 1 month later...

I went in may last year, it was hot but that THAT hot, the walk isnt bad, to me the problem was, since im only 5feet tall...carrying the tube was rather tiring.

and just to clear it up..at no point, during the walk, do you cross the river until u actually get to the river to start the tubing but my guide let us get in the river and swim around for a while and relax before we started the tubing so we were fine.

regardless, it was worth it, i think u should really do it, it has been my favorite excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad walk at all. But, wear proper footwear! Can be slippery in places. I bought the land n sea water sneaker from Lands End for my entire family - they were perfect, good traction and drained water out quickly.

We used cave-tubing.com - Yhonny. We had a ball!

The walk wasn't too bad. Once your under the jungle canopy it does get a little more muggy (we went in April). My daughter, age 7, who went on us strike during our walk from the pier in Cozumel to downtown was able to do the walk without any problems; she said it was nice.

We had booked with Yhony and his people and all I can say is, they were awesome!

Regards,

Tom in Connecticut

U.S. Navy Retired

• 4 weeks later...

It was hot (we were there 5/21), but I didn't think it was a difficult walk at all (I'm mid 50s and not in the best of shape). Wore water shoes and still didn't have any problems. I think our guide said it was about 1-1/2 miles.

Someone did a review on the Carnival board and complained about the horrible hot, difficult walk. She was on the same excursion, same group as us.

Just another example of how two people on the same cruise, on the same excursion, can interpret their cruise experiences very differently.

One thing, though. I found that I was staring at the ground, as it is mostly loose river rock and didn't really get to enjoy the beautiful scenery other than when we stopped to look at something specific.

Archived