traveling with child across border

fundayz

I was hoping someone on this board could help me. I am driving into Canada with my daughter. Her father and I are divorced. She is only 6 and doesn't have a passport. What do I need to take with me?

Also, as she has sever food allergies, can I take food for her to eat for the weekend such as hot dogs and snacks - or is it not allowed.

Hope someone can help. I hope you don't mind my posting this here since it is not a true cruise or Alaska question, but you all seem so full of knowledge about traveling.

Hi,

Try this link, not sure which crossing you're going to use

http://www.bellingham.org/wp-content/uploads/file/Border_Crossing(1).pdf

It has a list of food items, i know for a fact no apples can travel from usa to canada (even if they're canadian apples to start with)

I don't have kids but I'm pretty sure even parents that aren't divorced have to carry a note from the other parent saying the child is allowed to cross the border (my gfriend just had a baby and said that she has to carry one with her from her husband if she goes to the states for the day)

Not sure if that applies if you have sole custody.

Notorized letter. A few years back my (then 14 yo) daughter came out to visit me in Seattle. We were turned away at the border because I had no proof that mom knew about our day trip to Canada.

I was hoping someone on this board could help me. I am driving into Canada with my daughter. Her father and I are divorced. She is only 6 and doesn't have a passport. What do I need to take with me?

Also, as she has sever food allergies, can I take food for her to eat for the weekend such as hot dogs and snacks - or is it not allowed.

Hope someone can help. I hope you don't mind my posting this here since it is not a true cruise or Alaska question, but you all seem so full of knowledge about traveling.

Here is the link to the Canadian Border Services Agency (Customs) concerning documention required for entry into Canada with a section relating to children. You certainly can bring snacks into Canada but you shouldn't be bringing in meat products. I think this link will answer your questions and I hope you and your daughter enjoy your visit.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/061-eng.html

Okay,

I found my list for Agriculture Prohibited Items (entering Canada) that they gave me when I got my Nexus (trusted traveller pass for usa/canada border).

Its dated 08/24/05 but was handed out Jan 08 so should be the latest (one would hope).

Prohibited Items

Fresh - apples, apricots, nectarines, plums, peaches, quince, fruit of the hawthorn, blueberries, cherries, corn on the cob, potatoes

Pet food containing beef

No firewood

Quantity Restrictions

Turkeys 1 whole or parts 22lbs

Margarine 6.6lbs

Dairy $20 cdn

Eggs - 2 dozen

Fluid Milk 20 kilos

Meat / Meat Prod (port - 20kgs, chicken 20kg (veal, beef, farmed bison, mutton, lamb, goat - 5kg or less)

Regards,

Joanne

Thank you so much for the information. You guys always know so much!

I can't wait to take her on her first real vacation and knowing that I can take along her food is a great relief. I will get the letter from her dad tomorrow.

Thanks for helping a worried mom! Have a nice day!

I've taken my son on several international trips and so has my ex. We always have a travel letter, but have never been asked to show it. Most single-parent travel websites have boilerplate you can use. Be general as far as place (e.g. Washington and British Columbia) and give a few extra days just in case your itenerary changes. Include a phone number where Dad can be reached in case Immigration needs to call him. Also don't have him sign and notarize the letter too far in advance.

You will need your daughter's birth certificate since she doesn't have a passport http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/ I'm guessing it has to be the original or a certified copy w/ a raised seal; a photocopy won't be acceptable. (That's the usual standard in banking transactions). This assumes she was born in the US and the birth cert makes it obvious she's a US citizen.

The reason I mentioned Washington in the example is you also may need the letter re-entering the US. Don't worry, enjoy the quality time with your daughter! (and get her a passport for her next adventure!) :)

Thanks for all the help. I have been a single mom and haven't had the $$ to travel, so she never needed her passport. But the wonderful man I am marrying loves to travel, so a passport will be a must. I am looking forward to traveling the world as a family! This board has been so helpful with all of our traveling plans. Thanks to all!!

Archived