When Ship is Docked is the Front Facing Left

ionsys

as you look at the ship standing on the pier

or would the ship's front be facing to your right

I'm not good with the technical naval terms of right and left but that description made me a little seasick!!! lol

Ships are generally assigned docks by the harbormaster and if the dock has 2 sides he will also dictate which side the ship will tie up to. Depending on wind, tides and currents at the time of arrival or departure the captain may request to tie up with the bow facing in or bow facing out out.

as you look at the ship standing on the pier

or would the ship's front be facing to your right

Ummmm, can i buy a vowel?......

No, seriously though, the ships can dock however need be. Some of these needs could be due to weather, ships already being docked, ease of entering/leaving the port. A lot of different variables can come into play as to ho the ship docks.

Pointy end is forward on all ships. Easy way to remember port (left) from starboard (right) is port has 4 letters-same as left.

Thanks! I can never remember either and this will help!

Now what is the better side to get a cabin on?

Starboard

The Vikings called the side of their ship its board, and they placed the steering oar, the "star" on the right side of the ship, thus that side became known as the "star board." It's been that way ever since. And, because the oar was in the right side, the ship was tied to the dock at the left side. This was known as the loading side or "larboard". Later, it was decided that "larboard" and "starboard" were too similar, especially when trying to be heard over the roar of a heavy sea, so the phrase became the "side at which you tied up to in port" or the "port" side.

Starboard

The Vikings called the side of their ship its board, and they placed the steering oar, the "star" on the right side of the ship, thus that side became known as the "star board." It's been that way ever since. And, because the oar was in the right side, the ship was tied to the dock at the left side. This was known as the loading side or "larboard". Later, it was decided that "larboard" and "starboard" were too similar, especially when trying to be heard over the roar of a heavy sea, so the phrase became the "side at which you tied up to in port" or the "port" side.

Well, since being raised around my uncle's yacht harbor, the terms have been emblazened in me, but I really enjoyed hearing as to how these terms came to be. Thank you for sharing!

Archived