Pay for CruiseCal.com?

cuestic66

Well DUH!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the Carnival board and not Silversea. Can you read? I also have my doubts that you are a Silverseas customer either. Hey, you want to pay knock yourself out by paying for a site. Go for it. Still find it amusing that you joined Cruise Critic today to post on the Carnival board about Cruise Cal. Who are you really behind the screen? Bet we don't see you back here posting on any other subject which tells me that you are more than likely someone joined at the hip with Cruise Cal.:rolleyes: Oh by the way, not bitter at all. I just call a spade as what they are. Nothing more or less. I don't mince my words.

I'm a loyal CCL guy and I have sailed Silversea many of times - I can read thank you. Wish you the very best onboard CCL and hope you sail again and again.

Cheers

You have to pay for cruisecal now? That really bites!! I like checking out where the ships are and checking out the ports, but I'm not gonna pay just to look on the computer. Call me cheap but thats just the way I am. Any comments on this?

I was shocked & confused when I visited the site this AM. Thought maybe my cookies had been deactivated or something. I'm disappointed but would never pay for that info.

I actually tried to "register" and the button just kept re-loading the first page .. so I gave up. I couldn't even get to a page that told me how much etc. Brian if you are reading this what gives ?

Brian,

Isn’t it rewarding watching how people are expressing their thanks for the work you’ve been donating over the years.

Truly inspiring.

A VAST majority of the information we seek out on the internet is FREE.

The ONLY site I pay any $ to (annually) is SMUGMUG, and I post pictures (here on CC) several times a week linking to my SMUGMUG page. I use it a lot, thus I can easily justify the expense.

Tom

I likewise would not pay, but then I am cheap. He indicated above that people are signing up, so I suppose he knows his business better than us. Perhaps travel agents are providing this info to clients, to help them choose cruises - for them the cost would be very reasonable, and they would get faster access when all of us are not acessing the info for the umpteenth time.

I wish him well on his new business model.

A VAST majority of the information we seek out on the internet is FREE.

The ONLY site I pay any $ to (annually) is SMUGMUG, and I post pictures (here on CC) several times a week linking to my SMUGMUG page. I use it a lot, thus I can easily justify the expense.

Tom

I agree. I also use Smugmug and the main purpose is to share photos with others on this and other cruise related sites. Cruise Cal was free for four years while the site was built up. Now that there is a good flow of traffic, he wants to charge. I actually would pay for that site but not fifty bucks a year.

I pretty much agree with everyone who posted. As I only use cruisecal once or twice a year, I won't spend the money on it. I wish the site well, and hope Brian hangs in there thru this storm. And Cheryl - (Sea-U-Onboard) ignore the barb being sent your way by Cruisegolfer. Seems like a fishy post to me. You have a great site, and I enjoy stopping by now and then to see the updates, and check out whatever Carnival ship I am sailing on. Hang in there!

Good luck with your site improvements, I hope it works out for you. I know that I cannot justify the expense when I am only going on one or two cruises a year, but I am sure others will be glad to continue to use the site.

While you are here, do you have any plans on updating cruise dailies.com? I know I personally sent you some compasses to post that were never posted, and I know that some others here have emailed you some that were never posted, so I just assumed you decided to stop working on that site.

Thanks for the work you did on both sites while they were free, I enjoyed using both of them to help with planning, but just not worth paying per year when I dont cruise that often. Again, good luck to you.

Sincerely,

Kelli

Sorry but it my opinion the information on your Web site was helpful (although not always accurate) but not essential. Therefore, it does not justify the high fee when there are other sites offering similar information on the WEB.

progress.gif

Maybe for those of us who sail only once or twice a year might be willing to pay $5/30 days or something similar to check out in preparation for our trip.

I'm one of those who see both sides. It's a lot of work to maintain and while useful, probably not worth $25/year to the casual cruiser. A shorter, less expensive subscription, might make it more palatible. (But perhaps it is more difficult to implement a multi-tiered pricing scheme.)

Just a thought. Good luck either way.

..... And Cheryl - (Sea-U-Onboard) ignore the barb being sent your way by Cruisegolfer. Seems like a fishy post to me. You have a great site, and I enjoy stopping by now and then to see the updates, and check out whatever Carnival ship I am sailing on. Hang in there!

Nah I just let those kind of comments roll off my back. I can't post the link to my site here at CC but people can find it if they google my user name (no underscores).

Brian-

Why not a one time fee of $20 or something? I can see more people being willing to pay a one time fee, than the prices you are charging right now. Some TAs might, but you're going to lose all of your occasional cruisers, especially when CCers are telling people that you can find almost the same information in multiple places.

This is a good suggestion which I would support. Cruisedeckplans.com did this for a nominal fee which I paid. Yes, most of their information can be found on the cruise lines web sites but that site combines all the data in one place. Very handy and worth the one-time fee (for me anyway).

Yeah, but that is only like $11.00 lifetime and they pay you money back if you submit pictures for the website. Big difference.

Almost every picture on the site was stolen from other websites like Webshots, so it's real cheap to operate. :rolleyes:

Can you tell me what your avatar is????:confused:

I hope I'm not stepping on H82seaUgo's toes by chipping in here, but that is the cover of the first Led Zeppelin album, commonly known as Led Zeppelin 1.

41OcFfdvCML._AA240_.jpg

Brian,

Best of luck with the new setup.

I've used your site several times and the info is handy to have for several reasons; it's nice to know what ships we'll get to see that we haevn't seen before and nice to have an idea of how crowded it might be for the excursions / beaches etc. The info will be difficult to come by without your site.

I'll likely be one of your paying customers, but I'm not sure about the yearly amount. Perhaps as a one time fee.....

I used the site one time to check my cruise last November. I probably would have used it again this fall to check for my next cruise, but not at the going rate. It is his site and he can charge whatever he likes for it; we as consumers can choose to not pay it though and find the info elsewhere. We had pictures taken at church two weeks ago for the directory. Of course they try to sell you pictures in addition to your free one. The price for 4 sheets - $300. I about fell of my chair as I kindly thanked the lady, but no thanks. As we were leaving, my 10 year old son told the lady, "Mam, we sold stuff at school last year for an economics project and when we didn't sell any, we finally figured we had them priced to high."

Brian,

I really llike your website and have appreciated it being free for the last couple of years. I understand how time consuming it must be. With the cost of everything going up, im sorry to say I cant pay the fee but did enjoy using it when I had a cruised planned.

Archived