Alcohol on Mariner of the Seas

My husband and I are traveling with my parents on the Mariner of the Seas this month. My parents want to take alcohol on board. This is only our second cruise and while we had no problems on Carnival Glory last October, haven't seen much about RCI and the Mariner. Two questions here:

1. Can you take wine, liquor etc initially when boarding?

2. If you buy in port during the cruise, can you get it on the ship?

We are headed to PR, St. Thomas and St. Marteen.

Thanks!

My husband and I are traveling with my parents on the Mariner of the Seas this month. My parents want to take alcohol on board. This is only our second cruise and while we had no problems on Carnival Glory last October, haven't seen much about RCI and the Mariner. Two questions here:

Thanks!

RC does not permit you to carry ANY alcohol on board.

Anything that you buy in port will be taken and stored until the end of the cruise.

No, you can't buy it on the ship and partake of it in your cabin. You can't buy it in port and take it to your cabin.

RCI will not let you bring any spirits on board from home.

However, there are ways of doing it. Here are methods I have read. Put it in your checked bag and hope they don't happen to x-ray yours. The worse that will happen is they will call you down to the "naughty room" and take it up to be returned at the end of the cruise. If they return it the night before debarkation, then you can have a nice last night (lol). Put it in another container (and they are wise to mouth wash, shampoo, soda/water bottles, any large "innocent" liquid containers) and hope the x-ray won't pick it up. If they do, then they will/can take it up and not return it because you "disguised" it. Buy rumrunnerflasks.com and use those. To date, I have never heard of anyone being busted with them. Pack some water/soda in the checked suitcase and hope if you get called down to the "naughty room" they will see it is just water/soda and not "dig deeper." The right hand might not know what the left hand saw on the x-ray machine. This may require an hour in the "naughty room" line to reclaim your luggage. Put it in another container, wrap it in a box with foil wrap as a gift, slap a "card" on it, and put it in your checked luggage. If a small bottle and you smoke, wrap it in foil, put it in a carton cigarette box and put it in your luggage. All cigarette packs have foil so that may put them off. Or, suck it up and pay $7.50 for a half glass of box wine on the ship or the same for a weak drink (lol). If you go that route, find a bar tender you like, tip him out a few times and your drinks will become stronger and some might not even make your sign 'n sail card.

No flaming please, I am just passing along information.

Tucker in tExas

On Monarch last weekend you couldn't claim any alcohol until disembarkation morning. If you purchased in the shop onboard you picked it up there. If you bought it in a port and turned it in, then you picked it up in the terminal. If your alcohol was confiscated you picked up in the terminal as well. This may have been because it was spring break time.

By the way, I haven't ever had a watered-down drink on RCI.:) Princess is another story.

Royal Caribbean has a wine package which you can purchase before boarding by going to their website.

We bought this in Feb when we sailed on the Radiance. It was great.

You might want to consider this option instead of taking any chances.

or you can do the drink of the day, it changes from day to day, is relativly cheap 2-3bucks if i remember right, and everyone we had was poured with a very heavy hand. in fact every drink i had on the mariner was very strong, and i am from south carolina which used to be the land of the mini-bottle and when you would get a drink in a bar here you got the whole mini bottle and then whatever mixer the drink called for in a rocks glass, this means that that if there is ice in the glass you would end up with a drink mixed close to half and half. the drinks on the mariner were at least that strong, when my wife wanted one i would have to make a point to tell the bartender to make it weak or she couldnt drink it

or you can do the drink of the day, it changes from day to day, is relativly cheap 2-3bucks if i remember right, and everyone we had was poured with a very heavy hand. in fact every drink i had on the mariner was very strong, and i am from south carolina which used to be the land of the mini-bottle and when you would get a drink in a bar here you got the whole mini bottle and then whatever mixer the drink called for in a rocks glass, this means that that if there is ice in the glass you would end up with a drink mixed close to half and half. the drinks on the mariner were at least that strong, when my wife wanted one i would have to make a point to tell the bartender to make it weak or she couldnt drink it

They must have poured with a heavy hand if you recall the price being $2-3, LOL! On Monarch last weekend they had a drink of the day for $5.95 (keep the souvenir glass) and a shooter of the day for $4.95 (I think you kept that glass, too, never ordered any). Plus a 15% gratuity.

They must have poured with a heavy hand if you recall the price being $2-3, LOL! On Monarch last weekend they had a drink of the day for $5.95 (keep the souvenir glass) and a shooter of the day for $4.95 (I think you kept that glass, too, never ordered any). Plus a 15% gratuity.

lol, it was may of 05, the fact that that is going on 3 yrs ago prob has more to do with it but i sure dont remember it being that much, i believe we tried one or two each day except for one day(it was some kind of melon drink and i dont like those) but that was after i started cutting back on my drinking, so i wasnt really concerned with drink prices anyway. i am sure if you went on a cruise with the plans to keep a good buzz/drunk going on most of the day and into the night it wouldnt take long to get expensive...

Anything that you buy in port will be taken and stored until the end of the cruise.

I always purchase several mini bottles in ports. It is easier to get on the ship with these. They have never taken these from me. Also, take a lil mini with ya to one of the shows, order a coke, pour in your own liquor!

I bought a bottle of over proof rum in Jamaica and no one took it. I put the bag through the x-ray machine and picked it up on the other side of the machine. No problems. ( I didn't drink any of it as it was a gift for a friend)

Thanks!

I'm going on the same cruise, 24 days seems like forever doesn't it?! If you really want to take it, put it in your checked luggage, the worst that happens is they take it and give it back to you at the end of your cruise.

I do not recall seeing you two on our very active roll call thread. Stop in and say Hi! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=532745&page=133

True enough. The drinks were pretty weak on board last week. BUT I think I would much rather have reasonably weak drinks served (esp. for people like me who never have occassion to drink at home) than try to enjoy a cruise on a ship with folks who have had too much to drink. Especially on a moving vessel. What a mess that would be. :rolleyes:

We were on the Mariner OS 3-23 thru 3-30. To me, anyway, it looked like RCL put A LOT of money in her (marble floors, very expensive wood, beautiful tile, expensive carpet, incredible design, etc). I feel the experience was more fun with a ship full of (what seemed to me, anyway) people who were not drunk and not tearing up the joint!:D

Plus the RCL administration was very firm regarding the subject of underage drinking (for which I, as a parent of a 20 year old, have great respect).

Besides, dang, HOW MUCH liquor do we need to put in a glass to have a good time, anyway? :) Just askin'...

Every case was x-rayed last week on the Mariner 03/24 and HUNDREDS of bottles were removed from suitcases and a letter was put into the suitcase explaining the RULES, many friends of ours( we were in a large group) had theirs removed (we were unaware they had brought drink on until they showed us the letter) and they had to go and collect it late in the evening prior to disembarking, they were told that would probably be the norm now until the end of April due to the amount of Spring Breakers cruising in that time and they are very aware of the negative publicity of under age drinking.

Every case was x-rayed last week on the Mariner 03/24 and HUNDREDS of bottles were removed from suitcases and a letter was put into the suitcase explaining the RULES, many friends of ours( we were in a large group) had theirs removed (we were unaware they had brought drink on until they showed us the letter) and they had to go and collect it late in the evening prior to disembarking, they were told that would probably be the norm now until the end of April due to the amount of Spring Breakers cruising in that time and they are very aware of the negative publicity of under age drinking.

Thanks for telling us of what happened on your last trip, John.

Some cruises such as this one that happened over a holiday here, RCCL is going to make sure that what happened on another holiday........does not repeat itself. I applaud RCCL for that.

Now......for those that have chastised Merion Mom for her statement of NO..........for the newtimers...........that's those of you that have spent under 2 months with Cruise Critic.........and don't know Carol, and all of the help that she has given this website over the years........I think that after the 410th time that another question about liquor being brought aboard an RCCl ship...........she just gave the same answer that RCCL would give anyone...........NO LIQUOR allowed aboard.

Carol is not perfect......as none of us are. But to jump on her for her honesty........well...........let's just say that for the most part, she is 99 percent wit........and 1% downright truthful.........and her NO statement was her truth coming out!! :)

Rick

Thanks!

Thanks for the defense, guys. :)

I knew when I was typing that post that there would likely be a negative backlash, so before I hit submit, I re-read Post #1 and Post #2 a dozen times.

It simply couldn't be clearer.

Question: Can you take wine, liquor etc initially when boarding?

Answer: RC does not permit you to carry ANY alcohol on board.

There is just no ambiguity there. No use of the word "liquor", which confuses some. ALCOHOL pretty much covers whatever form you have in mind.

I'm a big proponent of literacy. :D

Thanks for the defense, guys. :)

It simply couldn't be clearer.

Question: Can you take wine, liquor etc initially when boarding?

Answer: RC does not permit you to carry ANY alcohol on board.

There is just no ambiguity there. No use of the word "liquor", which confuses some. ALCOHOL pretty much covers whatever form you have in mind.

I'm a big proponent of literacy. :D

Ok, for alcohol and wine, but does this mean that I can't bring beer onboard?....;)

Ok, for alcohol and wine, but does this mean that I can't bring beer onboard?....;)

Watch it, Merion_Mom will get upset with you.

Beer contains alcohol and also is not allowed by RC's rules. Maybe you could get the non-alcohol or 0.5% beer onboard as you can bring on soda and water.

I always purchase several mini bottles in ports. It is easier to get on the ship with these. They have never taken these from me. Also, take a lil mini with ya to one of the shows, order a coke, pour in your own liquor!

Doing what you do, taking a mini to the show, is one of the reasons the rest of us aren't allowed to bring liquor on the ship. It wasn't bad when people brought their own and drank it in their cabins, but to take it out of their cabins and mix their own in various locations throughout the ship, reeks of being tacky. Sorry, JMO.

I think the cruiselines (and not just RCI) invite a little of this on themselves. When people who have never cruised ask me what a cruise is like I often tell them it is like being on a floating hotel/resort. And, hotels and resorts don't confiscate alcohol when you stay there. As long as your aren't obvious and/or obnoxious they are fine with it. Yes, a cruise is somewhat different, but as soon as you tell people they CAN'T do something, it just makes them want to do it. Those of us with children can understand this idea. :D

Bottom line is that there will always be people who sneak alcohol on board and feel completely justified in doing so. And there will always be those who don't agree with that activity. It's just human nature.

Personally, I like bringing a little something along with me to supplement whatever drinks I buy from the cruiseline. :p

Archived