Cruise/Travel Insurance - Any recommendations pro or con?

Hal from Ohio

Just booked Solstice for March 2009 and interested in securing travel insurance coverage. Anyone know of a helpful web site that compares companies and coverages? Or, have you had a personal claims experience, favorable or otherwise, that you could share? Thanks!

We purchase all the time from insuremytrip.com.

We always get Travelex Travel Lite policy for a few reasons. The first time we had to submit a claim, they were absolutely wonderful to work with. They have the best customer service. Also, they are primary insurers, meaning you don't have to submit medical claims to your own insurance, wait to be denied or whatever, and then submit to Travelex. You simply submit to Travelex and they pay. Thirdly, they have extremely competitive rates. They also give you 21 days from date of original cruise deposit to purchase insurance and they will still cover any pre-existing conditions (very important issue, even if it doesn't apply to you, it may to your family members, business partner, traveling companions, etc.). They are very good about transferring the policy over to new travel plans should your plans change (and ours do frequently). If the new travel plans are less expensive, they will refund the difference.

And lastly, put in different amounts and see what the premium amount comes up. Generally speaking, for every $500 increment, the policy premium increases. So if your trip is 1,999.00 pp, don't round it up to $2,000 because that extra dollar protection may cost you $30 in premium increase. We usually estimate our air so that is included.

Good luck!

Just booked Solstice for March 2009 and interested in securing travel insurance coverage. Anyone know of a helpful web site that compares companies and coverages? Or, have you had a personal claims experience, favorable or otherwise, that you could share? Thanks!

I had a medical situation on our Constellation New England/Canada cruise this last Fall that amounted to over $600. I had Travelex insurance and they reviewed my receipts/bills and paid the claim with no hassle or problem. We have been very pleased with them and have used them for all of our cruises. I hope this is helpful.

Hi Hal:) I have been using TravelGuard and their customer

service is wonderful. Thankfully I have not needed the insurance

but the folks I have spoken with everytime have been cordial,

friendly, knowledgable, and overall very professional.

I will be using them again in the future. Oh, and the price

for me is very good as well:)

We normally use CSA but have also used Travel Guard based on price. We just came back from Constellation and we do need to file a claim because we had airline issues and were unable to get to Florida the day before and it was too late to cancel our room. CSA is sending me the information I need to file the claim. In addition to not getting to Ft. Lauderdale the day before, we had to rent a car one-way from Cleveland to Columbus because there were no flights out of Cleveland that could get us to Ft. Lauderdale before the cruise. I'll know more once I file the claim how well it goes with CSA. I would like the money back for my room in Florida, as well as the cost of the rental car.

Archived