A 19 year old HAS to be directly across the hall from adults now?

They had one Jr suite that fits 5. They will have to put a roll-a-way in it.

I am really really really really really surprised.

But it will save you money...........you are paying far less for three of them, and no fuel surcharge. :D

See? There's your silver lining.

Have a fantastic time "going home". :)

I shared a balcony cabin with my 2 kids (17 and 23) on Adventure of the Seas the week before Easter. It was my son's (the 17-year-old) first cruise. I was very happy that RCI had a 1 a.m. curfew for those under 18, they were strict about not allowing alcohol to be brought onboard (to the point of having me shake my water bottle to prove there was no booze in it), and security asked if my son was with me when we got off the ship midday in one port. I do think minors who have their own cabin ought to be within spitting distance of their parent(s)' cabin.

I just tried to book my Alaska cruise, and was told my 19 year old HAS to be directly across the hall from me, or in a cabin next door.

Is this true? He refused to book a cabin 4 cabins down from me...

He said this was implemented 1 week ago, and they are very strict on this.

Just got back from AOS. Our two 17 year olds and one 12 year old had a cabin 5 doors dwon from us . No problem.

My TA made our April 09 reservation today. My husabnd and I are in a D1 and our sons (18 and 14 by the time fo the cruise ) are across and 3 cabins down. I questioned her after reading this post this morning but she assured me that RCI only insisted they be in the same quadrant. I would prefer they were directly across from us but there was not much available.

My TA made our April 09 reservation today. My husabnd and I are in a D1 and our sons (18 and 14 by the time fo the cruise ) are across and 3 cabins down. I questioned her after reading this post this morning but she assured me that RCI only insisted they be in the same quadrant. I would prefer they were directly across from us but there was not much available.

She must have booked an adult in each cabin. I have called a zillion times today talking to different agents, and there was no way around it for me as a single parent. As soon as the ages were put into the computer, it refused a booking.

I just tried to book my Alaska cruise, and was told my 19 year old HAS to be directly across the hall from me, or in a cabin next door.

That's exactly where I would want my 19 year old. :)

She must have booked an adult in each cabin. I have called a zillion times today talking to different agents, and there was no way around it for me as a single parent. As soon as the ages were put into the computer, it refused a booking.

I don't know how she did it but my confirmation has my husband and I in our balcony cabin and the boys down the hall.

I know you are trying to book directly with RCCL but what about trying with a TA. It seems that for whatever reason they are being lenient with TA bookings and not enforcing the new rule.

That's exactly where I would want my 19 year old. :)

You know, a lady I work with (hi Teresa!), brought up a good point today when I explained this new policy. Her response in her words:

"Why is it that we deem a man old enough at 18 to fight a war, but too young at 19 to have his own cabin on a cruise ship?".

I don't know what your 19 year old is like, but mine is a responsible young man. He does not drink, does not gamble, does not party. He is a great help with my 3 younger kids and way more responsible than my ex ever was. To put an age on responsible behavior only shows how irresponsible and irrational adults can be.

Who is "he" & "they"... never heard before..

You know, a lady I work with (hi Teresa!), brought up a good point today when I explained this new policy. Her response in her words:

"Why is it that we deem a man old enough at 18 to fight a war, but too young at 19 to have his own cabin on a cruise ship?".

I don't know what your 19 year old is like, but mine is a responsible young man. He does not drink, does not gamble, does not party. He is a great help with my 3 younger kids and way more responsible than my ex ever was. To put an age on responsible behavior only shows how irresponsible and irrational adults can be.

Oooh jeeez.... what ??? huh ?? i now dont believe you... :p

I know you are trying to book directly with RCCL but what about trying with a TA. It seems that for whatever reason they are being lenient with TA bookings and not enforcing the new rule.

this is a good suggestion. Why not go to a TA, and have them try and book the cabins for you? Then you can transfer your existing reservation for the JS over to the TA, who make the change for you, so the deposit you already made would transfer over? It's worth a try!

this is a good suggestion. Why not go to a TA, and have them try and book the cabins for you? Then you can transfer your existing reservation for the JS over to the TA, who make the change for you, so the deposit you already made would transfer over? It's worth a try!

Worth a try. :)

No I bet the incident with those "kids" on the Norwegian has something to do with it - they too were apparently down the hall from mom & dad..... Fact of the matter will be that a small number of "others" have ruined it for the rest and RCCL only sees one way to protect itself from moneygrabbing parents - making everyone abide by the rules.

Perhaps they believe some parents need to be reminded to keep an eye on their kids...

###

That was the first thing I thought of too. I have never thought it would be a good idea for teens (and sometimes even younger kids with the teens) to be far away from their parents and even on another deck. I don't care how "mature" or "well behaved" they are, they are teens. It's the parents responsibility to make sure their kids are both safe and well behaved. Doesn't mean I don't want them to have fun. Of course I do! Does mean that some of the stories we've heard should make us realize that maybe the cruise line didn't just pull this policy out of their...well, you know...but have dealt with issues caused by being lax in their own stated policy. Frankly, I don't think it's appropriate for anyone under 18 to be in a cabin far away from their parents. The 18 to 20 age group is a tougher call. I'd say that parents know their own kids and should make that choice, but unfortunately, some of those parents seem not to have a clue about their kids behavior. RCI may have decided that it's like alcohol and other issues: A few bad apples spoil it for everyone and necessitate a blanket rule for all. It may even be a liability concern. If RCI allows parents to book their kids on the other end of the ship and/or on another deck, and then something happens to the kids (or the kids themselves cause problems), the parents could say, "Well, you let us book that way, so it's RCI's fault." Another thought is that perhaps RCI wants parents close to the kids so that if there are any incidents (say, loud partying at 3 am or other disturbances to the neighbors) that security can easily get the parents involved, rather than having to schlep all over the ship to take care of the issue.

beachchick

I think its a good policy too.

###

Maybe they could also prohibit couples that are not married from sharing the same cabin and also raising the age limit to cruise and drinking alcohol to 30? That way they wouldn't be guilty for condoning immoral behaviour :D

It couldn't be harder to bring a marriage license to the ship than a passport? ;)

Maybe they could also prohibit couples that are not married from sharing the same cabin and also raising the age limit to cruise and drinking alcohol to 30? That way they wouldn't be guilty for condoning immoral behaviour :D

It couldn't be harder to bring a marriage license to the ship than a passport? ;)

Well, the thing I struggle with is the whole concept that bad behavior can be eliminated by having the kids one door down from the parents. I may be wrong and only have my own kids to go by, but once my kids are in the cabin they are usually asleep. Trouble can be raised anywhere on the ship, not just in the cabin. And I dare say most parents allow their kids free to roam the ship anyway.

I have to admit though that I truly and honestly prefer my kids with me in a connecting cabin. Not because I worry about their behavior, but because I worry about a fire, etc. and I would want to be close if something were to happen.

Unfortunately, that is not always possible.

Well, the thing I struggle with is the whole concept that bad behavior can be eliminated by having the kids one door down from the parents. I may be wrong and only have my own kids to go by, but once my kids are in the cabin they are usually asleep. Trouble can be raised anywhere on the ship, not just in the cabin. And I dare say most parents allow their kids free to roam the ship anyway.

I have to admit though that I truly and honestly prefer my kids with me in a connecting cabin. Not because I worry about their behavior, but because I worry about a fire, etc. and I would want to be close if something were to happen.

Unfortunately, that is not always possible.

I wrote my post in a ironic way, it was a little reaction to many posters IMHO very conservative suggestions and views... Maybe it didnt show clearly, then I appologize.

I totally agree with you 100% and I also belive that many posters here are not seeing 18-20 year old people as adult, which they are in my opinion. Just look at some of the alcohol threads, then you will undestand what my point was in my post :) I hope everything works out for you and your sons, have a great trip!:D

I have one question - what difference does it make if they have to be either in the cabin next to you, or across the hall? Maybe if some parents would take responsibility for their children, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

Archived