Golden mini-suite hide-a-bed question

2Oregonians

Are the hide-a-beds comfortable enough? My husband snores something awful and a lot of times we end up in separate beds at home. I do bring ear plugs on trips, but sometimes it gets bad. (Yes, yes, I know he should go for a sleep test, etc.) If this happens on the cruise, do you think he'd be comfortable enough on the hide-a-bed in our mini on the Golden? He's 5'11" and about 250 lbs. Actually... are we ABLE to use the hide-a-bed since we're only paying for 2 people in this room??? Just thought of that! :confused:

You can have the couch pulled out and made into a bed but he's not going to be that far away to help with the snoring. The sitting area in a mini-suite isn't a separate room but an extension of the cabin.

You're right, I've seen the pictures. I know how close it is, but it's a matter of someone snoring right in your ear, or snoring 6 feet away with a desk as a slight buffer. Know what I mean? ;)

2113913280055645931S200x200Q85.jpg

Why not have them just keep the beds in a twin configuration? At least this will put about 3 feet between you? You might also bring along some of the 'Breathe Right" strips for him (and earplugs for you!). I'm sure they will open up the sofasleeper if you want them to. Just ask the steward when he introduces himself on the first day.

It is not that comfortable. It is ok, but not as comfortable as the other beds.

What the heck am I saying, the other beds are not comfortable!!!!

It can't be any worse than the regular twins, I totally agree.

To the OP-Trust me, the few feet away he or you will be on the sofa bed will not make much of a difference, the desk is not anywhere near enough of a buffer zone. Even though these rooms are larger, without a door between you and him, it isn't going to help much. :(

On one cruise, my DH slept on the balcony, just so I could get some sleep away from his horrible snoring. He ended up catching a cold, which made the snoring even worse. :( Back then, I had even thought of trying to sleep in the bath tub with the door closed, but never could manage it. Ear plugs help some, but they don't take care of it completely, and I am a very light sleeper. I also found that when I used them on a cruise, when I returned home, I became land sick as they did something to my inner ear when using them too often.

Since then, cruising has been wonderful. Yep, you guessed it, I finally convinced him after years of heated discussions, for his own health, to have the sleep study done. I would loose my luggage, I would loose my credit card, but never ever would I consider loosing his C-Pap machine. It is like starting our cruising adventures all over again. Only this time, I can see everything without being so tired during the day from him keeping me awake at night. It has made such a difference, now he always reminds me that he should have done this years and years ago. It was like taking 20 years off his age, and mine also, in the way we both felt after only a couple of days of him actually sleeping.

Keep harping on your DH, not only for his sake, but for yours. :)

(I think what finally convinced my DH was after a cruise, I told him NO MORE VACATIONS of any kind until he did something about this snoring problem. It worked like a charm. ;))

Thanks for the advice. I've been with him for 16 years and many, many weekend trips and vacations. With all due respect, (I'm not trying to sound b*tchy here, honest!:)) I wasn't asking for snoring advice, just wondering #1, if the sofa bed was comfortable enough and #2, if we were allowed to use it since we only paid for 2 people in the room, not 3 or 4. I do realize how close the sofa is to the bed, but it's a matter of snoring right in my ear or 5 ft away from me. In motels, we get 2 queens. I ALWAYS wear earplugs either way, and if he's in the same bed I can still hear him, but being even 3 feet away in another bed makes all the difference. That's enough distance to make the earplugs do the trick. Thanks again for the advice! :D

So does anyone know for sure if it's kosher to open up the sofa bed a few nights if we need to? I don't really want to ask the steward to make it up for us because then it's in the way for us walking around in the evening. We'd rather just open it up ourselves if need be. He's good with just a blanket to throw over him, as I assume there wouldn't automatically be sheets on it. Thanks, everyone! :p

No problem I guess what I was trying to do is to tell you, I feel your pain here. ;)

As for the sofa bed, I am not sure if I would want to sleep on one not made up after hundreds of passengers have done who knows what directly on the sofa. It won't be a problem to use it, but I would still ask the steward to make it up in the evening. If you feel comfortable just thowing a blanket over it though, just go ahead. There are no rules telling you that you can't use the third accomodation if only two are booked in the stateroom.

Best of Luck!

No problem I guess what I was trying to do is to tell you, I feel your pain here. ;)

As for the sofa bed, I am not sure if I would want to sleep on one not made up after hundreds of passengers have done who knows what directly on the sofa. It won't be a problem to use it, but I would still ask the steward to make it up in the evening. If you feel comfortable just thowing a blanket over it though, just go ahead. There are no rules telling you that you can't use the third accomodation if only two are booked in the stateroom.

Best of Luck!

Ok, you just gave me the "ick" factor! LOL. Good point. After I posted, I thought of the fact that we could ask him to make it up and then just push it back to the closed position. Guess that would work.. :rolleyes: Then it's not in the way all evening.

To OP 2Oregonians:

Me too, in exact situation, and yes, we did mini. I actually sleep well hearing him snore, just NOT IN MY EAR!:mad: Although, I snore too, so we might be trading spaces off and on:rolleyes: .

I do like to hear him snore, as it helps me sleep better; but we have MUCH different sleep patterns/habits. But, after almost 11 yrs, we have learned to live with it, and still get along!:p

Mine is also 5'11" and 225lbs. When do you cruise, so we can compare notes?

I might not have my ducks in a row, but I think I have already been in some of the minis where they have the berth that lowers from the ceiling. You might check to see if your cabin is one of these. If so, the steward will lower it down (you can't do this yourself, it requires a key) and make it up for you while you are at dinner. I believe it would be much more comfortable than the sofa sleeper, plus it would also put you on two different levels (since you need a ladder to get into it), perhaps muffling the noise a bit more. I have always found the stewards to be very helpful. We sailed with friends who had a son with a broken collarbone. They actually brought in a deck chair for him and outfitted it with cushions, sheets, blankets, because it was much more comfortable for him. Good luck!

Hey Toto2Kansas:

My DH has a C-Pap machine too. The BEST thing we ever did. I knew he had sleep apnea even before he was tested for it..

What a difference it made in BOTH of our sleeping.. We NEVER leave home without it. When I hear others who say their spouses snore, I just thank heavens mine did something about it...

So do you bring your own long extention cord, or do you rent them on the ship. I always feel a little funny packing a 20 long cord with us. But if you need it and you can't reach the plug, it would be bad....

Hey Toto2Kansas:

My DH has a C-Pap machine too. The BEST thing we ever did. I knew he had sleep apnea even before he was tested for it..

What a difference it made in BOTH of our sleeping.. We NEVER leave home without it. When I hear others who say their spouses snore, I just thank heavens mine did something about it...

So do you bring your own long extention cord, or do you rent them on the ship. I always feel a little funny packing a 20 long cord with us. But if you need it and you can't reach the plug, it would be bad....

Since we always get at least a mini suite, there is a plug reachable without the use of an extension cord on one side of the bed. The little machine fits neatly on the shelf under the nitestand and the cord attached is plenty long enough.

I agree, even though it has improved my quality of life, I know that it has so improved his. As the doctor said, this is something that effects both partners, the one affected with it and their spouse.

After hearing of all the damage this can do to his heart, it sure made a lot of sense to easily take care of this problem. And, I am glad to hear I might just have him around a bit longer now that the problem has been fixed and no more damage will be done to him because of it.

To OP 2Oregonians:

Me too, in exact situation, and yes, we did mini. I actually sleep well hearing him snore, just NOT IN MY EAR!:mad: Although, I snore too, so we might be trading spaces off and on:rolleyes: .

I do like to hear him snore, as it helps me sleep better; but we have MUCH different sleep patterns/habits. But, after almost 11 yrs, we have learned to live with it, and still get along!:p

Mine is also 5'11" and 225lbs. When do you cruise, so we can compare notes?

July 19th Alaska Inside Passage on the Golden.

I might not have my ducks in a row, but I think I have already been in some of the minis where they have the berth that lowers from the ceiling. You might check to see if your cabin is one of these. If so, the steward will lower it down (you can't do this yourself, it requires a key) and make it up for you while you are at dinner. I believe it would be much more comfortable than the sofa sleeper, plus it would also put you on two different levels (since you need a ladder to get into it), perhaps muffling the noise a bit more. I have always found the stewards to be very helpful. We sailed with friends who had a son with a broken collarbone. They actually brought in a deck chair for him and outfitted it with cushions, sheets, blankets, because it was much more comfortable for him. Good luck!

The overhead bunk briefly crossed my mind, but the description for our room says it will accommodate a third person. If the overhead bunk exists, it says it will accommodate and third and fourth person. At least that's my understanding.

We get a mini on Princess and our teenage daughter sleeps on the pull out couch. The matress is very thin and she is five six and one fifteen and it is barely long enough for her. She had a backache a few days from the bed. I do not think it would be ok for your dh...jmho:o

I'm glad you asked this question, OP. I was wondering the same thing.

My preference would be to have an extra sheet and blanket AVAILABLE, and to pull out and make up the sofa bed myself if/when I need to use it.

Or I might just wake up a few hours earlier than husband and want to recline on the sofa (not made up into bed), with a blanket tossed over me. Often do this at home because of different sleeping patterns. I would rather get up and snooze with the TV on quietly than stay in bed until DH wakes up.

Bilyeu5

do this at home because of different sleeping patterns. I would rather get up and snooze with the TV on quietly than stay in bed until DH wakes up.

That's what I was trying to spit out earlier. Seems to never fail, only one of us sleeps in, other one is up at crack of dawn! Usually, though, we're both up at crack of dawn.

I'm glad you asked this question, OP. I was wondering the same thing.

My preference would be to have an extra sheet and blanket AVAILABLE, and to pull out and make up the sofa bed myself if/when I need to use it.

Or I might just wake up a few hours earlier than husband and want to recline on the sofa (not made up into bed), with a blanket tossed over me. Often do this at home because of different sleeping patterns. I would rather get up and snooze with the TV on quietly than stay in bed until DH wakes up.

That's how I am too!! :)

We have only had 1 mini on Diamond - the sofa had a blanket inside which I removed to use while sitting on the balcony when it was cold. I bet they would put the sheets on for you and then you could open it if you wanted anytime.

Just for your info, the Golden received new mattresses in December and January. I was on in November..mattress was awful, but I was told that by the time we came back in January, we would have new ones. When we got to our mini in late January, the first thing I did was check the mattress. It was not yet replaced. I called in the steward and told him to get me a new mattress. By the time we got back from dinner, we had brand new mattresses on the bed. We saw them offloading a pile of old mattresses in Mazatlan. So, hopefully by now, all the cabins have new ones. Believe me, it was really a necessity and we slept much, much better in January. I will never hesitate again to ask for anything!

We just disembarked the Golden this a.m. This was our 1st time on the Golden and as is our custom, we had a Dolphin deck mini. I thought it strange that our sofa was smaller than the longer ones we've always had on the Grand, Diamond and Sapphire. Is this usual for the Golden?

Since my DH also snores, I always ask the steward to make the beds into twins. I find that helps a lot. Occasionally, I end up on the sofa in the middle of the night. I don't bother pulling out the bed, just take a sheet and blanket and stretch out on the sofa. But, because the sofa was so short this time, there was no way I could use it as an alternate sleeping space. I sure hope Princess isn't replacing the long mini-suite sofas with shorter ones.

Archived