Chef's Table on Golden - week of 3/29

Sandy R

WOW... everything everyone has reported about the dinner is right on! We phoned the dining room the minute we entered our cabin after boarding. We were told to meet the next day at 11 am, to speak directly to the Matri 'de. Info about the dinner was in the Patter when we boarded. It was in a small blue box on the 1st page. At the 11 am meeting, the Matri 'de spoke to each couple or person, individually about the event. We were then asked to sign for the $150. There were 2 dinners, one after Puerto Vallarta and one the next evening after Mazatlan. There were 8 people at each dinner. We started out in the kitchen and we were served champagne and 5 different canapes. Everyone took photos. Then we were led to a table in the Bernini Dining room, set with flowers, candles and beautiful china. It was an experience we will remember.

Both DH and I feel the food overall on this cruise has definitely been excellent, thanks to the head chef, whose name I'll provide later.

As I write this DH and I are on our last full day aboard the Golden. At noon we will be attending the "Most traveled Lunch" with Captain Nick Nash. We live in SoCal, so sometime tomorrow, I will give details on each course of the Captain's Table and do the same for the lunch today.

The cruise itself has been delightful. About 500 kids on board were well-behaved and polite. The weather has been great, including the 1st sea day going down. Today is cool but we expected as much.

Any questions... I'll do my best to answer them over the week-end.

Sandy

Sandy, thanks for the information. I will be on the Golden in 3 weeks and am very interested in the Chief's Table. Any additional information you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Also, any other suggestions on the cruise will also be appreciated.

Well, we're back home after a marvelous 7 days on the Golden. Sorry for the confusion... the price for the Chef's Table is $75 pp. Since there were 2 of us, the cost was $150. BTW... the items below weren't choices, every item was an included course. My favorite was the baked camembert! Okay, the Risotto was a close 2nd with huge chunks of lobster. And, the blue crab with avocado and mango was delicious. I could go on but I guess you've got the picture.

Talking of pictures, each couple received 2 complimentary photos, one of the table, which included the 8 passengers participating in the dinner, Chef Jean Peter, the pastry chef, Maitre 'd and Head Waiter, plus another photo of each couple. Each couple also received beautiful hard cover "A Culinary Courses Journey" recipe book. And, each female received a long-stem red rose.

Menu

Aboard Golden Princess

Tuesday April 1, 2008

Blue Crab Margarita with Avocado and Mango

Beef Tenderloin Tartar with Traditional Condiments

Bistro-Mini Cheese Quiche with White Truffle and Cherry Tomatoes

Roasted New Potatoes with Sour Cream and Caviar

Risotto Italian Carnaroli Rice with Lobster and Asparagus

Lip-Smackin’ Bloody Mary Sorbet

Trio of Beef, Veal and Pork Tenderloin

Served on a Medieval Spiked Flambe Roaster

Jus, Salsa Verde, Bearnaise Sauce and Café de Paris Butter

Fresh Premium Market Vegetables, Creamy Mousseline Potatoes

Baked Camembert with Pine Nuts, Port Wine Reduction,

Walnut Bread

Iced Cointreau Parfait, French Vanilla Apple Compote

And Brandy Snap Tuile

Coffee and Tea

With Jean Peter’s Homemade Amaretti Biscotti

My husband and I were at the Chef's Table with Sandy and her husband last week and I can tell you everything she said is exactly true! The Chef's Table exceeded all of our expectations and made us feel even more special as we sat at our beautifully decorated table and were served beautiful and delicious foods. Everyone around us was watching and wondering why they weren't having the same foods.

I'd have to say that the lobster risotto was my favorite food; it was absolutely delicious. While Sandy was careful to leave some over so she'd have room, I wasn't able to! Her wonderful husband leaned over and asked me if I'd liked it, as I practically licked the plate clean!!

I have some pictures I took, which I will upload in the next few days and I will come back to post the link.

I highly recommend this experience if you like to be pampered!

In fact, overall I'd say the staff of the Golden pamper everyone! The week was, in a word, wonderful!

• 4 weeks later...

Although Chef's Tables were originally planned for both the PV and Mazatlan nights, the Mazatlan night only had 1 couple sign up so they moved them to the PV night - thus we had a table of 10.

Our menu was a little different and we were served 4 different wines: champaigne, pinot grigio, italian red (can't remember name), and late harvest sauvignon blanc

Menu

Aboard Golden Princess

Tuesday April 22, 2008

Blue Crab Margarita with Avocado and Mango

Steak Tartar with Traditional Condiments

Braised Escargots in Vol-au-Vent

Buckwheat Blinis with Caviar and Creme Fraiche

Risotto with Lobster and Asparagus

Lip-Smackin’ Bloody Mary Sorbet

Trio of Beef, Veal and Pork Tenderloin

Served on a Medieval Spiked Flambe Roaster

Jus, Salsa Verde, Bearnaise Sauce and Café de Paris Butter

Fresh Premium Market Vegetables, Creamy Mousseline Potatoes

Stilton with Port Wine and Walnuts, Rosemary Biscotti

Tartufo in Gold Cafanetto

Coffee or Tea

With Jean Peter’s Homemade Gourmandises

This was definitely a dining experience to remember!

The Chef's Table menu sounds great, but every person who has reviewed this meal/experience seems to have had the exact same meal. No matter which ship, the main course is the same....meat on flaming skewers. Is this the standard Chef's Table dinner throughout the fleet or has someone had something different?

It seems like the things that may change are the hors'doevres you are served in the kitchen. These are purchased fresh by the chef that day, from what I remember.

Not sure what you mean exactly by the Hors D'ouerves being purchased by the Chef that day. 99% of the food onboard is made fresh, from your morning toast to whatever. The only items that they purchase are; Kosher and baby food. I'm not being mean or snotty, I'd just like a little more info on your statement.

For others, the menu does change a bit from ship to ship but stays basically the same. I read a post about the meat being just one type, ie Pork Tenderloin, or whatever.

Archived