Live from the Noordam - Transatlantic - NY to Rome

cruiserking

What a joy it is to read your blogs, Jonathan. I feel as though I'm there...almost! Funchal sounds like a lovely place that we'd love to visit.

BTW, did you find out if the man with the heart attack was on the Noordam? :confused:

Really enjoying reading about everything-- you do make it seem as though we are there with you! Enjoy Portugal!

I

agree!

Can't

wait

for

the

next

installment!

Sorry...

my

space

bar

isn't

working.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Excellent report about Madeira! I need to find out whether a Reid-type old hotel exists in the Azores, because that's going to be a stop on our westbound trans-Atlantic in October.

I love old hotels. There was one in New Delhi in the 1980s called The Imperial, not far from Connaught Circle. It was like stepping into the 1930s. I had similar experiences throughout East and South Africa, including a hunting lodge in Kenya that had belonged to Lord Baden Powell.

In the early 1970s I and then-girlfriend experienced a magical moment at a mountain-top restaurant near Lisbon. It was part of a hotel and we had stopped there for a sunset dinner. While we were dining, the weather changed and we were hit by a thunder storm. The lights went out. Within moments the wait staff produced candles for all tables. How romantic! (However, our romance did not last).

Excellent report about Madeira! I need to find out whether a Reid-type old hotel exists in the Azores, because that's going to be a stop on our westbound trans-Atlantic in October.

I love old hotels. There was one in New Delhi in the 1980s called The Imperial, not far from Connaught Circle. It was like stepping into the 1930s. I had similar experiences throughout East and South Africa, including a hunting lodge in Kenya that had belonged to Lord Baden Powell.

In the early 1970s I and then-girlfriend experienced a magical moment at a mountain-top restaurant near Lisbon. It was part of a hotel and we had stopped there for a sunset dinner. While we were dining, the weather changed and we were hit by a thunder storm. The lights went out. Within moments the wait staff produced candles for all tables. How romantic! (However, our romance did not last).

Hi Barante,

Loved your old hotel post and the night in the Lisbon when the lights went out, great tale, sorry the romance didn't work out, great memory though.

It is 5:15 am in Portugal, I, as usual, am to excited to sleep. I bounded out of bed went straight to the front desk to make copies of our passports. Other passengers have done this and it seems like a good precaution even though we are only booked on HAL excursions.

There isn't a soul around except for a few sparse deck workers continuing to keep the Noordam sparkling like she just rolled out of the Fincantieri Ship Yard.

From the port side window the twinkling lights of Lisbon are just now materializing, there are some good tunes playing in the Explorations Cafe and I am thrilled to embark on our epic 7 and 1/2 hour odyssey through Lisbon.

Last night we attended a really lovely cocktail party at the port side of the Crows Nest. It was held by our friends Liz and Earl of Lizb1 fame. What a lovely affair, all of the guests sparkled in their finery, it was a throwback to the grand days of sailing the high seas on Holland America Line, the hors doeuvres, white uniform clad officers to mingle with and oh...that tray of giant chocolate covered strawberries. By the time dinner time arrived I felt as if I had just ingested a chocalate Gibraltar. Thank you Liz and Earl for creating that very special interlude for us to enjoy.

I am poised and ready to descend on the Lido to fetch an early breakfast for Elene and I so we can enjoy the scenic arrival in Lisbon. We are due to pick up the pilot at 6:00 am. We are 15 miles from port and are expected to pull into our berth at 8:00 am. For the first time since we left New York the seas are so still, slight according to the navigational screen adjacent to this lounge. It is almost as if we are not moving.

Sheryl Crow is crooning about "her favorite mistake" ... with a long day ahead perhaps only four hours of sleep is one, but, our beautiful ship is slipping into the harbor, past chugging tugs, bobbing buoys, We're in Europe Baby!

Jonathan

Hi Innlady,

Yes uncle Pete was on board the Noordam and Jonathon has been fantastic, Uncle Pete is now safely in ITU at local hosptal in Funchal and i am intouch with my cousin. fingers crossed for speedy recovery. Thanks for asking and all of you being so kind especially Jonathon and yourself

Sara x

BTW, did you find out if the man with the heart attack was on the Noordam? :confused:

Hi Innlady,

Yes uncle Pete was on board the Noordam and Jonathon has been fantastic, Uncle Pete is now safely in ITU at local hosptal in Funchal and i am intouch with my cousin. fingers crossed for speedy recovery. Thanks for asking and all of you being so kind especially Jonathon and yourself

Sara x

A speedy recovery for your Uncle Pete!

Rochelle

Hi Innlady,

Sara x

Sara...

I'm..glad..Uncle..Pete..is..being..well-taken..care..of..in..Funchal!

Sorry..my..spacebar..isn't..working..this..is..the..best..I..can..do....Frustrating.:rolleyes:

cruiserking,

Thank you so much for sharing you wonderful trip with us. But most of all thanks for sharing you beautiful wedding with us. The wedding picture was very beautiful. May God bless the two of you. And many happy years together.

PS. Table 147

I lived in Staten Island for 45 years. I first lived in Tomskinville, then Tottenville and last in Great Kills.

Then I moved to upstate NY

Thank you Rochelle_S and Geocruiser.

Clutching my binoculars I watched excitedly from our balcony as the Noordam gracefully steamed into Lisbon Harbor. In the pre-dawn light I was spellbound as we passed a collection of buildings and cathedrals, these famous landmarks I had read about suddenly leapt from the pages of my travel books and stood majestically before me. Just ahead this ornate structure stood, a dark monolith silhouetted against the sky, The Tower of Belem, a one time observation point to watch for enemy ships.

A hundred feet further a cluster of street lamps cast a glow over a fleet of famous explorers who gained purchase aboard an ancient ship. The Monument to the Discoverers, a stone sculpture which stands proudly welcoming visitors to Lisbon and pays tribute to bold adventurers like Magellan, Vasco Di Gamma and Henry the Navigator, the latter who stands powerfully at the ship’s prow.

Up on a hill the turrets and parapets of an ancient castle punctuated the architectural topography of this stunning city. Soon after the towering steel spans of the April 25 Bridge came into view. Not surprisingly it bears an uncanny resemblance to San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge, it was in fact designed by the same engineering firm. As we slip beneath the criss crossing girders of this magnificent structure, the tumultuous hum from morning commuters echoes from above like squadrons of bees. Nearby a long white building comes into view, it is the Monastery Saint Jerome.

Soon the first gleams of morning light puncture the overcast sky and leave bright pink trails in their wake. The Noordam swivels 180 degrees and nestles against the pier. The Lido is a hive of activity as our fellow passengers attempt to swiftly accomplish the breakfast ritual. Shortly thereafter we descend to one deck and board our streamlined tour bus for our full day tour of Lisbon, Sintra & Cascais.

We leave the port behind, the Tagus River on our left as we make our way to town of Cascais. I had been pronouncing this town as if it were a French word, but, pronounced correctly it has a much more exotic flair and it’s fun to say. K-eye-SH – K-eye-SH is how the locals say it. A group of passengers behind us delighted in repeating this word frequently along with just about every name on the billboards and sign posts we passed.

We drove by several new condiminiums whose curved features echoed a very space age feel. We sped by parks, smaller building and soon the sandy bluffs on our right and the ocean on our left reminded me a bit of the route to Montauk, New York.

Within forty minute of our departure we arrived in Cascais. It wasn’t quite what I had expected. Travel books made this town appear to have a beach resort feel. While there was definitely a commercial flavor to it, Cascais was still a very appealing spot. We had forty-five minutes to wander around. Our Cruise Critic friend Bonnie was also on this tour and the three of us had a lovely day together.

A building we passed on the way in caught my attention and we retraced our steps to find it. Our jaunt brought us passed a beautiful park, the sidewalk of which was detailed with hundreds of white and black tiles swiveling in different shapes and designs. A few shops later we arrived at our destination, the local pastry store. Lisbon is well known for these treats and my sweet tooth was immediately aroused upon gazing at these tantalizing cakes in their glass cases. From cream puffs to chocolate cones, sugared cakes, some glazed, others still sprinkled with sugar. We ordered a trio of these baked goods and washed them down with a cup of the strongest and richest coffee we’ve had since leaving the states.

Our favorite was the travesseros, miniature custard cakes, with a baked sugar top, a very popular repast of the Lisbon faithful. Strolling around the village we saw alleyways, shuttered windows, pastel colored buildings and every where those swirling black and white tiles flowed to and fro across the sidewalk. Near the beach while waiting for the bus we browsed at several of the touristy shopping stalls. One such kiosk offered dozens of multi-colored shell necklaces, when the breeze rustled this display the most melodious sound could be heard.

Shortly after noon we arrived at Sintra. The glorious drive here included some beautiful vistas of the countryside, several winding passes, lush greenery and many stands of noble pine trees. Lord Byron fell in love with this mountain village and it’s easy to see why. This delightful town was rich in atmosphere and oozed with characteristic European charm. Behind us stood the palace an old building in slight disrepair with two large cones upon its roof. In the vicinity of the town square there were several cafes, local shops with tourist items and lovely pottery, linens and leather goods.

Several of the cobblestone streets climbed steeply upwards, many windows bestowed flower pots and colored shutters. The clip clop sound of hoofs echoed as two policeman trotted by on their steeds. Local children pranced and laughed all of them wearing little blue smocks and white caps. On a nearby hill a lavender colored house seems right out of the pages of a storybook. Many of the walls of homes and buildings are decorated with beautiful tiles.

I am in search of another pastry shop, this one is reputed to among the best in Portugal. Just beyond an arch that leads to the old Jewish Quarter, we find it, Periquitas. Here we buy three pillows, they are a flaky pastry with a sweet almond paste interior. Our lunch this today is included with the tour at a local Sintra Restaurant. Two busloads are squeezed into the upstairs level and treated to a delicious meal of fresh salad with a flavorful Portuguese Olive Oil Dressing, a hot carrot soup and stuffed chicken breast. The waiters and waitresses liberally poured both red and white wine throughout. By the time the chocolate cake with drizzled chocolate sauce arrived, it was most certain that our sojourn in Sintra would forever hold a special place in our hearts.

We completed our day by returning to Lisbon and driving along one of the major boulevards. This is a truly beautiful city with many impressive buildings and spotless streets. We stopped for pictures of the Tower of Belem and Monument to the Discoverers and briefly explored the Monastery de Gerominos. We adored our day in Lisbon and savored the memories of our adventures as we enjoyed a hot coffee and our Periquita Pastries in our cabin aboard the Noordam.

Jonathan

Sara...

I'm..glad..Uncle..Pete..is..being..well-taken..care..of..in..Funchal!

Sorry..my..spacebar..isn't..working..this..is..the..best..I..can..do....Frustrating.:rolleyes:

To type a space without the space bar.... make sure Num Lock is on, then hold the Alt key down and enter '32' on the numeric pad (right hand of keyboard). :)

cruiserking -- You truly are a royal and so was your report from Lisbon. Particularly the dawn entry to the port. I can hardly wait for seeing it myself in October.

We, too, will do a tour, arranged by one of our fellow passengers. I've been to Lisbon before. What a magnificent city! In fact, one of the reasons we'll go to Brazil only three months after our trans-Atlantic is to witness the continuation of the Portuguese saga and see for ourselves what the colonials did in the New World.

Back to Lisbon.The only regret I have is that because we'll be there during the day only we'll miss a performance of fado. Fado is the mournful soul music of the Portuguese speaking world -- wailing songs about the loved ones lost at sea or in the embrace of some one else. Some songs have Arabic influence, others don't.

Amalia Rodriguez is the queen (for those who want to google for a sample).

To type a space without the space bar.... make sure Num Lock is on, then hold the Alt key down and enter '32' on the numeric pad (right hand of keyboard). :)

Thanks, Boytjie. I have a Dell laptop...and it's been determined by Dell that my keyboard has died. I have hooked up an external keyboard...waiting for Dell to replace my keyboard tomorrow or Friday. Thank goodness for an on-site warrantee! ;)

cruiserking -- You truly are a royal and so was your report from Lisbon. Particularly the dawn entry to the port. I can hardly wait for seeing it myself in October.

We, too, will do a tour, arranged by one of our fellow passengers. I've been to Lisbon before. What a magnificent city! In fact, one of the reasons we'll go to Brazil only three months after our trans-Atlantic is to witness the continuation of the Portuguese saga and see for ourselves what the colonials did in the New World.

Back to Lisbon.The only regret I have is that because we'll be there during the day only we'll miss a performance of fado. Fado is the mournful soul music of the Portuguese speaking world -- wailing songs about the loved ones lost at sea or in the embrace of some one else. Some songs have Arabic influence, others don't.

Amalia Rodriguez is the queen (for those who want to google for a sample).

Thank you very much Barante, I appreciate it. Will have to Google Fado, sometime when the internet isn't so pricey as it is aboard ship.

We've just arrived in Casablanca, Morocco. It is pitch black outside and the only lights are those from the armada and enormous oil tankers berthed alongside the pier.

There are many monstrous cranes, some in the process of depositing goods into nearby ships. A giant mosque towers over the surroundings. The gleaming, neon lights of two nearby hotels shine in the distance.

We have just enjoyed a delicious breakfast via room service, the only way to go when you have an early excursion. We are moments away from boarding a tour bus that will whisk us away to Rabat. We are exicted to be in the exotic locale. Will return at 1pm and write about our day in Cadiz, Spain.

Jonathan

Jonathan, if you're not a professional writer, you should be. You write with a grace and style not often seen. I'm loving hearing about your trip!

I agree, lawyerrose. Jonathan defintely has a way with words! :cool:

Thank you very much Lawyer Rose, Cris and Innlady1 for your very kind comments, I really appreciate it.

I was a beat writer for several news papers and have written several plays, but, this type of feature writing particularly travel is my favorite.

The clouds that had been blanketing our morning have been kicked back and a bright sun is scorching a warm patch through the puffy white background. We have a following sea today as we make our way to Barcelona, Spain. At noon we had traveled 318 nautical miles at an average speed of 22.6 knots, we have 388 miles until we pick up the pilot tomorrow morning at 6:30 am.

Several marshmallow cloud puffs are hovering over the horizon like distant mountain tops, they seem to blend perfectly with the hundreds of cresting waves that look like snow covered peaks. It is a ship lover’s paradise beyond our balcony as the dark stripes of ship hulls suddenly materialize. Several large container ships have passed us, an abundance of freighters and a few cruise ships as well. It is quite thrilling to look up and see that big swath of steel suddenly appear on the faraway sea as these vessels navigate the invisible shipping lanes.

At 5:30 am we sailed through the Straits of Gibraltar. We could just barely see the faint outline of the giant rock. The white hull of some cruise ship sailed passed us in the opposite direction her pyramid decks a glow with lights like a floating candelabra.

This morning just after 10:30 am the Bloody Marys were mixed to perfection at a lovely party thrown by our Cruise Critic friends, Gayle and Joe, or GayleArc to those who peruse the boards. Amid their cozy suite we chatted about our voyage with the engaging company and gazed at the phantoms of ships that lazily traversed the far reaches of the ocean. The appetizing selection of cheese and hors doeuvres was perfect partners to our potent morning beverages. We see this fine bunch nightly in the Ocean Bar and will always treasure the memories of sailing with them aboard the Noordam.

Cadiz, Spain.

On Wednesday Morning I awoke to find Cadiz, Spain magically stretched out before me. Having bolted from our cabin in the wee hours for our Lisbon arrival the previous day, a good night’s sleep had been scribbled into my agenda and I was happy for it.

A thick layer of grey clouds draped the skies over Cadiz. Then quite magically after Elene sang a few bars of her “Mr. Sun” song, the golden orb burrowed through the thick covering above. As we gazed at our corner of Cadiz the cityscape was a merge of both old and new as gold cathedral domes and Moorish influenced buildings shared the cosmopolitan landscape of this Spanish City.

Debarking the Noordam we strolled a short distance and happened upon a tourist kiosk where we picked up a map. A hop on hop off bus stood idling near the corner but, we decided to see the town on foot. A few moments later we arrived at a large statue celebrating Cadiz, several stray cats preened themselves on the grass of the surrounding park. A row of townhouses flanked the outer portion of the park, we decided to follow the narrow swarm of people that curved around the block and so began our adventures in Spain.

Cadiz is a web of interconnecting streets that snake maze-like throughout the town. Along one such narrow alley we stopped in one of the plentiful array of sweet shops and peered at the colorful selection of candies neatly displayed. Every few feet another canyon would appear and bestow its whimsical European charm with hand shaped door knobs and people scurrying about. One almost expects to see a hobbit emerge from around the corner in this ancient history steeped fantasy world.

We arrived at large square where street side café tables and umbrellas beckon weary travelers to sample some hot coffee or a glass of wine. Looming nearby is the giant dome of a cathedral, a lone guitarist sings a Spanish ode in the center of the square. We feel as if we are caught amongst the frames of a film by Pedro Almodovar and that Penelope Cruz will come racing by at any moment.

Up ahead we spy the green stalls of the town market jutting out and decide to delve further. It is a busy tangle of locals and merchants selling their wares; fresh fish, some still squirming, meat, cheese, hand bags. My heart breaks at the sight of a box of snails, their tiny heads gently surveying their strange confines. On each block of the low rise buildings local shops purvey their goods in a language we can’t quite understand. Then like the popped string of a violin this discordant note ruffles the landscape as the large marquee of a Ben & Jerry’s infiltrates the order of things.

We pause at a corner side bistro for coffee and hot chocolate. The latter in Spain is far different from the cocoa drink we enjoy back home. This luscious chocolate offering is served thick and warm like hot fudge. It is accompanied by a plate of sizzling churros for dipping; to taste it is to be in another land, far away. We are reminded of our dog Binky when we see a small, fluffy pooch lifting his leg on a nearby scooter.

We call out to him and he looks at us uncertainly, cocks his head, gives us a quick smile and then trots happily off home.

Having tasted the pastries of Lisbon it only seems fair to show the same support for the local Boulangerie in Cadiz. Inside the tiny shop, a crème filled, flaky cake catches my eye. We wait patiently while the pinched faced, store owner finishes a sale with a local Spanish Lady. He is a small man with a walnut like face, in his apron; he suddenly summons the image of Mr. Hooper of Sesame Street. Though the jolly countenance took a sharp U-turn when he learned from where we hailed. “We don’t like Hilary!”

We finished our sublime afternoon in Cadiz with a glass of wine at a nearby café. We drank in the flavor and character of this splendid town. The sun was shining brightly now and had been for the better part of the day.

Right now we are sailing the Swiss Alps as the snowy waves dance to and fro. In the hazy distance the curved mountain of some corner of Spain welcomes us to the Mediterranean and we will celebrate this night ablaze in formal attire as we steam toward Barcelona.

Jonathan

Jonathan, I love reading your posts. How ,ong is your cruise? Seems like you guys have been gone forever. In case you miss u back here in NYC, it's 80 degrees today. Everything is in bloom and it's looking great. Have fun.:)