Live from the Noordam - Transatlantic - NY to Rome

cruiserking

First of all, our congratulations. Elene has undoubtedly snagged a good guy since he likes cold soups. I sampled one every night on March 8-19 Noordam cruise. My favorite was mango with ginger. (My wife didn't touch any cold soups, but that was her loss since she kept complaining about the hot ones).

We are following these reports with bated breath since we'll be taking the Emerald Princess westbound trans-Atlantic from Venice to Fort Lauderdale in October.

First of all, our congratulations. Elene has undoubtedly snagged a good guy since he likes cold soups. I sampled one every night on March 8-19 Noordam cruise. My favorite was mango with ginger. (My wife didn't touch any cold soups, but that was her loss since she kept complaining about the hot ones).

We are following these reports with bated breath since we'll be taking the Emerald Princess westbound trans-Atlantic from Venice to Fort Lauderdale in October.

Its funny but Mango and Ginger was the only one I didn't like! LOL

Different strokes!

Thanks very much Barante, your post gave me a chuckle. :D

We continue to be immersed in cloud cover. At the start of our transatlantic odyssey Captain Mateboer said we would be running paralell to a weather trough, it has proved correct. Earlier today the sun burst through in spots, but only as a seering white circle behind the inpenatrable cloud fortress that has been holding us at bay from blue skies since we left Bermuda.

Yesterday, our speed dropped down to 17 knots yet it remained rocky because we continued to encounter swells for the duration of the day. The view last night from the Crows Nest of the ocean swells rising and falling under us and the fading light of day was completely captivating. The pale blue of the distant horizon coupled with the undulating water was like a set piece from a Broadway show.

Today the water is rough with waves rising to 12 feet. We have journeyed 1901 miles since leaving New York City on April 5. At 1 pm today we were 799 nautical miles from the Azores. We have 1222.8 miles to cover until we arrive in Funchal, Madeira on Sunday morning at 8:00 am. There are numerous white caps cresting and breaking all around us. The wind has kicked up and it is extremely fierce along sections of the promenade particularly across the forward bow.

In fact earlier today there were several loud metallic bangs that continued to echo through the Lido Pool. It seemed a portion of the partially opened magrodome pool cover was lurching back, then throttling forward and colliding with the steel frame work of the cover. Each time the ship rose and pitched the cover would crash with a crescendo of ringing steel. Eventually they closed the cover and passengers continued their laconic pratices of dozing, reading, splashing and gazing into the great blue distance of the Atlantic.

Today at 1 pm we had an extremely successful Cruise Critic Cabin Crawl. Our group numbered at least 30 as we participated in a carefree cavalcade of 7 different cabins. We visited Gaylearc's suite an impromptu add in. We stopped off at Bonnie's partially obstructed cabin on deck 4, Patrick's oceanview on 1 deck, Fred and Sherry furnished grapes and gold fish at their VF cabin on deck 7. Thanks also to Suzie and Ruth for featuring their deck six abode. The highlight of the tour was a splendid corner aft suite volunteered by Andrew and Noel, a lovely stateroom with a wrap around deck. We will be meeting here frequently even if there is no Cruise Critic function planned.

A pot luck wrinkle suggested by Barbara saw each interested participant placing $5 in the pot and receive a playing card at each cabin. Somehow depsite the crush of cruise critics piling into cabins like a Marx Brothers Movie, we managed to dole out the correct amount of cards per person. At the final cabin the best card hand was determined and that person walked away with money. Congratulations to Fred of Joy1 fame for his victorious three of a kind hand. Fred will be renting out the Prince Rainier's Palace in Monaco for a Cruise Critic Function and Palace Crawl later in April.

We had a rousing finish to our Crawl at mine and Elene's S cabin on deck 8. The champagne flowed, we laughed and chatted and attempted to figure out some of the stranger towel animal creations, particularly last night's offering which appeared to be part ram, elephant and space creature. Adam Dyer the Cruise Director is including some very old school games in his daily program of events. Yesterday Elene and I joined a fun-filled game of charades, today's game was hide and seek, personally this game choice doesn't appeal to me. You could have a swell hiding spot and one turn around the Lido by your would be captor might result in you remaining concealed till shortly before we arrive in Lisbon.

Some Cruise Critic greetings from those on our April 5, 2008 Noordam Roll Call. BethanyL - Ann sends hello's to all, PatrickC sends his greetings to his friends and family. Ann is a talented crafts designer and made some beautiful gift cards and presented them to Elene and I at our initial Meet and Greet on April 6.

In the Separated at Birth Department - There are several passengers sailing aboard the Noordam with us who bear a striking resemblance to certain celebrities and political figures. At this time our cruise pals and I have encountered - Rudy Giuliani, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Thomas Jefferson and Groucho Marx.

The Holland America crew as I have mentioned previously are truly the amassadors of this historic shipping line. They are consistently bursting with warmth and good humor. Nino and Drasse in the Lido radiate high spirits on a daily basis. While the sun above has not blessed us with warmth, there is no doubt that the friendly, outgoing and beaming smiles of this HAL crew have provided us with every ounce of sunshine from their souls.

Jonathan

Adam Dyer the Cruise Director is including some very old school games in his daily program of events. Yesterday Elene and I joined a fun-filled game of charades, today's game was hide and seek, personally this game choice doesn't appeal to me. You could have a swell hiding spot and one turn around the Lido by your would be captor might result in you remaining concealed till shortly before we arrive in Lisbon.

hide and seek on the Noordam? The mind boggles . . . and then drifts off into very amusing if slightly less family-friendly territory. Give me a moment while I relish the inner vision that brings to mind.

*pauses to relish*:rolleyes:

Goodness me! If only I'd thought of it whilst I was onboard. Our Illustrious Photographer would NOT have been safe, poor lad.:D

Sorry that the sun isn't cooperating, CruiserKing. Hopefully tomorrow...

I've always been intrigued by a Cabin Crawl...but they've not been done on our cruises. I think it's an awesome way to see all the cabin options while on board!

Not that you need any advise from me but I think the Noordam's Exploration Cafe is superb. Unfortunately I realized only on the morning of our arrival in New York that Internet access to the New York Times web site is free. So if you want to know what the land lubbers are up to, that's an option.

The book selection is terrific as well, even though HAL hasn't seemingly been updating the library. I read a terrific book, "Ghost Wars," by Steve Coll. And amazing book by the author whose latest is a tome about the Bin Laden family.

cruiserking- You're writing is so eloquent! I am enjoying this thread. :)

Today at 1 pm we had an extremely successful Cruise Critic Cabin Crawl. Our group numbered at least 30 as we participated in a carefree cavalcade of 7 different cabins. We visited Gaylearc's suite an impromptu add in. We stopped off at Bonnie's partially obstructed cabin on deck 4, Patrick's oceanview on 1 deck, Fred and Sherry furnished grapes and gold fish at their VF cabin on deck 7. Thanks also to Suzie and Ruth for featuring their deck six abode. The highlight of the tour was a splendid corner aft suite volunteered by Andrew and Noel, a lovely stateroom with a wrap around deck. We will be meeting here frequently even if there is no Cruise Critic function planned.

I got excited when you mentioned the VF (that's what I will be in on the Noordam ;) ), however there are no VF's on deck 7. :confused:

I got excited when you mentioned the VF (that's what I will be in on the Noordam ;) ), however there are no VF's on deck 7. :confused:

I thought VF's were only on decks 4 and 5?

I'm really enjoying this thread. Thank you Jonathan. And, my wishes for much happiness to you and Elene!

We had a VF (4010) on the March 8-19 cruise. I would take it again. The balcony was huge, never mind the steel railing. And even though it was close to the bow and seas were rough, none of that bothered us after we got accustomed to the occasional creaks and thumps after the first night.

Thank you very much Sea Island Lady.

I'm really enjoying this thread. Thank you Jonathan. And, my wishes for much happiness to you and Elene!

Thank you very much for your kind wishes and comments Jrzebird.

As we gradually inch closer to our European destination we are experiencing our most pleasant weather since we left Bermuda on Monday April 7. Early this morning the giant popcorn puffs of clouds perched above the horizon have given way to hazy whisps of white and grand welcome expanses of blue skies.

As of noon today we were traveling at 19.8 knots over moderate seas. We have covered 2278 nautical miles since leaving New York City and 1572.4 since leaving Bermuda. In a mere 845.9 miles we will pull up alongside the pier at Funchal, Madeira.

This morning I stood memsmerized staring at the Promenade Deck which stretched before me into oblivion. It is such a quintessential sea going experience to behold. The sun cascaded across the sea like glistening pearls and the wind buffeted against my jacket causing it to ripple and twist like Old Glory on a blustery fall morning.

Strolling along the promenade I stare at the great suspended keels of tenders and lifeboats. A blurry, glittery ocean is reflected in their curved fiberglass hulls. The racing stripe straight hand rail frames the deck, its wooden top polished to a high luster that glistens with beads of light. Just ahead adjacent to the steel hull cut outs the sun reflects in perfect half moon smiles. Throughout the day, particularly at night there is the everpresent symphony of creeks, shudders, rubbing metal, clicking, the sounds of an ocean liner powering across the sea.

The sudden appearance of throngs of curious onlookers at this mornings Galley Tour was a testament to the bold and ingenious engineers who designed this ship. Throughout our journey there is hardly a time when there are hordes of people in one spot, it is a credit to the layout and construction of this vessel.

The tour was very quick but, interesting. The spotless kitchen interiors and appliances shimmered silver. We passed Eco folding napkins. Another station featured a chef sculpting marzipan flowers. Around the corner a sous chef put the finishing touches on fresh baked frog, alligator and lizard shaped breads. Some of the items consumed each week on the Noordam include 23,040 eggs, 300 galons of ice cream and 450 bottles of wines and champagnes.

After lunch I added another three loops on the promenade deck before catching a cat nap on one of the wooden deck chairs. I was awoken from my slumber by the frantic cries of an elderly woman who sounded as if she had gone overboard. A moment later I discovered there had not been a lady in peril at all, instead however, some clown of a man sauntering along the decks shrieking along with his Ipod. His singing voice is a high pitched squeal not unlike an upset piglet.

We have a really wonderful group of Cruise Critics on this journey. We frequently bump into each other throughout the ship and are thouroughly enjoying each others company.

Jonathan

We are thoroughly enjoying your LIVE FROM posts! We will be doing the reverse trip-Rome to Ft Lauderdale in October. Your eloquent descriptions make us feel like we are already sailing. Congratulations on your wedding and the most unusual wedding cake ever:)

Hi Jonathan,

I'm really enjoying reading your posts to see how my day went. You have a great way with words and I can't wait to read your report on last night's bozoman and the sunset activity.

So far I agree with everything you've said. I am really enjoying the "table treats" we are getting at dinner that allow us to sample several starters and desserts. The Chocolate Bombe is my favorite dessert so far.

See you at dinner.

I apologise for intruding such happy news but Could anyone on the noordam please tell me if they know if Peter gibson is aboard.

or heard of a man having a serious heart attack??

Again sorry but am trying to get a message of love and support to him from the family.

I apologise for intruding such happy news but Could anyone on the noordam please tell me if they know if Peter gibson is aboard.

or heard of a man having a serious heart attack??

Again sorry but am trying to get a message of love and support to him from the family.

I see that Jonathan (CruiserKing) is on-line now...perhaps he will see your question and answer you. The next best thing you could do is to call Holland America in Seattle on Monday when they open. Or, if you are thinking you've narrowed it down to the Noordam, you could do a post of your own on the main HAL board.

Perhaps someone will come on with another suggestion.

Best of luck, and sorry for your distress.

Thank you for your kindness. keeping fingers crossed jonathon sees this. Trouble is the ship is docking soon and my uncle is being transferred to a hospital on the island so my search will then be for the hospital!

Thank you very much Cruisun, Innlady1 & Bath.

We are closing in on Europe and there is a great sense of anticipation and excitement amongst the passengers of the ms Noordam. While most of us have enjoyed the easy going pace of these days at sea, others still myself included are longing to arrive in port.

Today was the first bonafide beautiful day, a gift bestowed upon us from the Cruise Gods as we reached for the last baton of our relay across the seas. For the first time we woke to calm seas gently lapping the ships's hull as we cut a swath across the Atlantic. The sky was adorned in her finest brilliant blue and the clouds which had so recently thwarted us were finally relegated to mere sculpted shapes floating powerlessly in the distance.

In order to absorb every ounce of glorious sunshine today I traded in my usual promenade jaunt and instead walked sentry up and back along the starboard side. As the day waned the heavens were reminiscent of those big skies of the American West as clusters of cotton candy like clouds contorted above us.

We have covered 2969 nautical miles since sailing under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge at the mouth of the Hudson River in New York. Since sailing from King's Wharft we have logged 2263 miles. As we steam along at 19.7 knots we are just 154 nautical miles from landfall in Portugal.

We received our Mariner Pins yesterday and proudly affixed them to our clothes. Today we attended a special Mariner luncheon at the Vista and received our new tile, which artfully features one of the classic ships in the Holland America Line Fleet. The very tasty meal consisted of a selection of a delicate sampling of seafood, that was sweet and very satisfying. We followed that with a lovely cheddar quiche, perfectly baked with a soft cheese interior. The finale was flaky, wispy strawberry Napolean very rich in flavor, it's taste and texture enhanced by a dollop of fresh cream and a sprig of mint. ....It's good to a Mariner!

Over the last two evenings we have enjoyed very dramatic sunsets from our beautiful vantage point of table 26 in the upper vista. As the dynamic fireball sun fades into the abyss, it is obscured by a rather strange pantomime. Each night this mute Abbott and Costello Ballet unfolds as we watch a series of camera clutching folk pose before us, pause, try a more profound look, imagine themselves a great explorer like Magellan, snap, chat and move on. We have discussed putting on a similar performance for the early seating patrons. But, for now we simply enjoy each dazzling sunset and the zany floor show prelude.

I am very excited to wake up early tomorrow, grab my binoculars and watch as our ship glides into Madeira. I shared two separate elevator rides today with the gentleman who books future HAL cruises. Is there any hope of a HAL ship gracing the pier at New York Harbor in the near future I asked. "We're hopeful for a return to New York in 2010". There is a chance HAL would sail Caribbean runs from New York on one of their older, smaller ships, where they can hike the prices and sell out quickly.

All is calm aboard the Noordam tonight.There is nary a twitch or shudder as we hurtle through space and across the sea to port in Madeira in 8 hours time.

Jonathan

Thank you for your kindness. keeping fingers crossed jonathon sees this. Trouble is the ship is docking soon and my uncle is being transferred to a hospital on the island so my search will then be for the hospital!

I am so sorry to hear about your uncle. I will do what I can to get any information, but, my guess is thefront office will be tight lipped about the circumstance. If you email me at jpptrs@aol.com

Tell me your name and I will try to put you in touch with the appropriate person.

Regards,

Jonathan

I am so sorry to hear about your uncle. I will do what I can to get any information, but, my guess is thefront office will be tight lipped about the circumstance. If you email me at jpptrs@aol.com

Tell me your name and I will try to put you in touch with the appropriate person.

Regards,

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan...I'm so glad you saw his post. I feel badly for the family...trying to track down their uncle.

Hi All,

Well last night was the big one. The "Midnight Chocolate Extravaganza" at the covered Lido pool occurred at 10:15pm, and was a wonderful sight to behold. All of that chocolate that we'd seen being done in the galley tour was on display. A dark chocolate castle and white chocolate Eiffel towers were amongst the items being highlited. All of the fanciest of pastries, cakes, pies, cookies, cream puffs, puddings, mousses, etc. etc. etc., made for a fantastic display.

We sampled many but either we were still too full from dinner to appreciate them or we were all so giddy from the sugar high that resulted that none of them were standouts in the delicious department. The best were actually the simplest - the strawberries and pineapple kabobs that were run under the chocolate fountains were the best.

Yesterday was our first port on this side of the Atlantic - it was Madiera and it's a beautiful island. We'd like to come back for a longer visit. Today is another sea day and tomorrow is Lisbon. Looking forward to it.

Sunday morning we awoke to a soft, blue light diffusing through the sky as we sailed toward Portugal. A small bobbing light morphed into a modest sized cutter which circled to the right and hugged the Noordam’s hull as the pilot came aboard.

At 7:30 am as we drifted along the lights of Madeira shimmered like crystals in the morning mist. The gargantuan mountain that was Funchal lay before us like a prehistoric beast in repose. An hour later we were easing into our berth alongside the pier in Funchal, Madeira. On this day we opted for room service to expedite our day. After a pleasing meal of cereal, sausage links, eggs and coffee we grabbed our cameras and set off for the gangway to explore the first European Port of our voyage. The long sea wall that borders the pier is tattooed with the images of ships who have previously called at Funchal, Madeira. The logos and colors of ships like Navigator of the Seas and Prinsendam, proudly embossed across the wall for all to see.

A small convoy of blue buses with tear drop shaped driver’s windows like an Alien’s gaze, sits idle waiting for their passenger cargo to arrive. It is 7.50 Euros for a taxi to the center of town, but, we decide to hit the bricks. We make the brisk stroll out of the terminal, though a short tunnel in the ancient sea wall. The day gradually warms to around 64 degrees, a mixture of sun and clouds. It is a perfect day with many moments of bright sunlight without the oppressive heat of a summer day. At the port entrance we make a right turn and our jaunt takes us to the outskirts of the downtown area. On this early Sunday morning many of the local shops are closed. We pass several tourist stores featuring post cards, Portuguese linens and hand painted pottery.

We feel a great enthusiasm and zeal as we stroll through the narrow clean streets and pass fountains, beautiful old pastel colored buildings. Sighting a taxi stand ahead we jump in and head toward what turns out be the highlight of our visit to Portugal. A 15-minute car ride drops us off at the red walled and iron gated entrance of the magnificent Reid’s Palace Hotel. This spectacular resort hotel sits nestled on a cliff and oozes sophistication and old world charm. The elegant hallways are painted in soothing lemons and calming shades of lime. The carpeting is soft underfoot and everywhere the bright clear picture windows look out on the most dazzling and dramatic views of Funchal, Madeira.

We enjoy a lovely cappuccino in the cozy lounge and sit with rapt attention staring at the lush palm trees, assorted fauna and the rolling building dotted landscape sprawling before us. We strike a conversation with a lovely quartet of British tourists who have newly arrived aboard the P&O Ship Oriana which is docked adjacent to our floating palace, the Noordam.

At one time Holland America offered an afternoon tea excursion to this fabled hotel where Winston Churchill, the Duke of Windsor and a who’s Who of elite and famous figures have visited. Before our arrival upon ascertaining the afternoon tea was formal and rather steep I decided on morning coffee instead. Following our coffee break we set out to explore the surrounding grounds. We decided there must be a battalion of groundskeepers on call to prune and care for the trees and plants as there was nary a leaf or palm frond out of place. We sauntered along a path and stared with wonder at the gorgeously manicured gardens. A host of specimen trees stood guard some dangling bizarre fruits like oblong kiwis. A shroud of foliage spread out above us, our walk took us beneath an enchanting trellis where the delicate and pink blossoms of a massive Bougainvillea spilled from above. As we walked upward along the curving trail there were several look out points with immaculately painted cement walls, and stunning vistas of the ocean, cliffs and Funchal. A pair of rectangular swimming pools could be seen from one of the terraced vantage points, the tranquil, azure waters gentling rippling in the afternoon sun.

Quitting Reid’s Palace we made our way back to port and walked down the hill stopping briefly in a local market to pick up some goose pate. It was a restful afternoon in Funchal, I spend some time on the observation deck perusing the scenery with my binoculars. A bit later I returned to the pier and after a tip from some friends visited a series of kiosks housed within the ship’s terminal. Here a variety of small stores offered liquor, post cards, one busy spot in particular sells phone cards. For a thrifty purchase of only 3 euros I was able to call my father back home in New York and speak for as long as eighteen minutes. At a nearby internet café users were able to go online for as little as a single euro, a much better option than the exorbitant sum charged by HAL.

I bought some stamps, water and a bag of maltesers and made my way back aboard. It was a perfect day in Funchal, Madeira, there were moments of gorgeous sunshine amid floating clouds. About a week ago a terrific storm buffeted the Funchal and the treacherous waves breached the 15 foot sea walls. From our balcony we watched windsurfers coast along the calm harbor water. From time to time a local fishing boat or tourist catamaran sailed into view. We sailed at 6 pm, a small band of onlookers graced the upper sea wall and waved as the Noordam eased out toward the outer harbor. Among the small crowd was a fluffy, brown dog, lazily gazing at the ship and sniffing the wall, he reminded made me long for our two dogs back home. A mustached Venetian Beagle, cuddly toy, in the Noordam Gift Shop frequently summons thoughts of my beloved and friendly pal Rebel back home.

Last night we marveled at the myriad of confectionary creations of the talented Noordam bakers at the Chocolate Extravaganza. There were trays of colorful pastries set amongst ice sculptures and several Eiffel Towers carved from white chocolate. A milk chocolate castle was the showstopper, complete with majestic spires and parapets. Unfortunately, however the cakes and desserts looked much better than they tasted. Though we thoroughly enjoyed our evening seated at a nearby table, laughing and regaling with our table mates Brett, Paul and Barbara. It seemed like a good idea to purchase the Italian Stallion drink of the night which was served in a keepsake Holland America shot glass. The cordial however, a mixture of crème de cacao, crème de menthe and Bailey’s Irish Crème was rather ghastly tasting and had the appearance of Nyquil with a layer of milk.

All in all it was an extremely pleasurable day in Madeira, Portugal. During dinner we watched the burning orb of a sun quietly descend and illuminate the sky with wands of pink, orange and brilliant reds. Today we are making only 14 knots as we coast upon a calm sea toward Lisbon. We have a full day tomorrow and can hardly wait to continue our adventures in Portugal with visits to Lisbon, Sintra and Cascais.

Jonathan