Cruising the Panama Canal

I booked a cruise on the Jewel for the holidays (12/19 departure) that spends one day "cruising the canal". What does this mean? Can anyone provide a description of this day as it doesn't seem the ship stops anywhere in Panama. Is this pretty much like another sea day?

Thanks!

Not exactly considered a sea day, you will be going through the locks and it is very interesting, we stopped for a short time and were able to get off the ship to watch some dancers and visit the vendors set up there.

It will start as a very early start to the day. We went up top to the front of the ship at about 5:30am, and watched as we entered the locks. It takes a couple of hours to enter and navigate through the locks and then you enter Lake Gatun. Those who have booked a tour ONLY through the ship are tendered off. The ship will remain in Lake Gatun until it's scheduled time to turn around and reenter the locks that you came through in the morning. We you get to the other side you will go and dock at Cristobel Pier where there is a wonderful craft market with many native crafts. The tours will meet the ship back at this point.

Click on the link for the Brilliance to see pictures.

Yes--it is a bit like a sea day, only much hotter--as the ship isn't moving much! Wear sunscreen!

As the above poster said, you will enter the locks, stop in the lake for awhile, and then go back through the locks.

What's really nice, is the navigator will give a running commentary about the canal, its history, mechanics, etc....

Do plan on moving about the ship for the passage---the locks look entirely different from different vantage points! Don't stay in one place! Check it out from the promenade deck, each side, the helicopter pad, etc..... ROAM!!!!

Very interesting! And, you'll get so much info, that a formal excursion really isn't necessary!

The shopping area at the Colon Pier is ok--typical "hand-made" stuff--t-shirts galore.....Nice place to wander for awhile.

You are not allowed to go off on your own in Panama. Check out the town that is visible from the pier with binoculars---you'll see why you're restricted to the ship!

The shopping area at the Colon Pier is ok--typical "hand-made" stuff--t-shirts galore.....Nice place to wander for awhile.

Thanks to all for their information. Does everyone get the opportunity to get off the ship at the pier or just those on shore excursions? It's nice to get off for a bit.

Thanks to all for their information. Does everyone get the opportunity to get off the ship at the pier or just those on shore excursions? It's nice to get off for a bit.

Everyone can get off, those on excursions will already be off and meet the ship there. I loved all the handmade crafts at the market.

Not exactly considered a sea day, you will be going through the locks and it is very interesting, we stopped for a short time and were able to get off the ship to watch some dancers and visit the vendors set up there.

Hey BJ. This question really makes me want to be back on Rhaspody going though the Canal.

How was your cruise on the Voyager? We are heading to Galveston tomorrow and sailing on Sunday.

Send me a email and let me know how you are doing.

luther@gvtc.com

Everyone can get off, those on excursions will already be off and meet the ship there. I loved all the handmade crafts at the market.

Great. It looks like this will be an interesting day regardless of whether stays on the ship or takes an excursion.

We did this cruise just this past Christmas and New Year's. It was fabulous! Christmas and New Year's were so special.

We just stayed on board that day and had a very relaxing day! I loved it. We wandered all around the ship to see the locks from different perspectives. We got up very early to watch the first lock from the helipad. So we had a nice nap that afternoon.

I hope we can do this again sometime soon!

Archived