Cruiseing and The Happy Father of the Bride

babyher

Just talking with my old boss last night.

His daughter is getting married sometime in September. He told me his daughter just told him the other day that her and the groom just want a small reception with just immediate family at the clubhouse at their condo complex , married by a JP and that they would pay for all that.

She then said for their honeymoon they wanted to go on a cruise . He was a litlle fuzzy about what line and itinerary and all that, but he said it was like a 21 day cruise and one of the more exotic ones. Its some trip they have really wanted to go on.

The girl asked that the only wedding gift she wanted was that both sets of parents pay half . It was going to come out to $12,000 so 6 grand a piece . I know both parents can afford this.

Knowing I have been on several cruises , (I guess in his eyes that makes me an expert *LOL) he wondered if that was a little steep.

Of course not knowing many details I couldn't say for sure. But I assumed a 21 day cruise, depending on ship, time of year , cabin class ( i know this girl, she is a "suite" girl if ever there was one) and itinerary. That this would be pretty much right.

Plus I added $6000 is a drop in the bucket when planning a wedding, and he doesn't have all the drama of planning a wedding, and his wife going nuts getting a dress, and agonizeing over the guest list and who sits where , all the meltdowns that will occur when three weeks before the wedding you find out the brides maid dresses have been discontinued from stock. All that other fun stuff.

We walked away a very happy man :)

I smiled when I read this. DD just got married 6 months ago. I tried talking her into something like this with minor variations (we would be on the cruise too LOL!!) She would have none of it, can you believe it? :eek:

Instead she and her new husband spent 4 weeks diving in Palau.

I tried.

I smiled when I read this. DD just got married 6 months ago. I tried talking her into something like this with minor variations (we would be on the cruise too LOL!!) She would have none of it, can you believe it? :eek:

Instead she and her new husband spent 4 weeks diving in Palau.

I tried.

*LOL*

My DD would rather stay home than have her parents on her honeymoon with her :) Please !!!! She freaks out when God Forbid I have the nerve to go into my own den and say Hi when she has friends over :)

A 21 day cruise sounds like a wonderful honeymoon.

We always stay in Delux verandah suites and I can assure you that we spent over $12000 on our recent 23 day Ryndam cruise. And that didn't include excursions, auto tips, hotels before and after cruise, air fare, Pinnacle Grill and drinks.

A 21 day cruise sounds like a wonderful honeymoon.

We always stay in Delux verandah suites and I can assure you that we spent over $12000 on our recent 23 day Ryndam cruise. And that didn't include excursions, auto tips, hotels before and after cruise, air fare, Pinnacle Grill and drinks.

Does sound pretty good doesn't it ? :)

Like I said the father wasn't too sure of all the details of the cruise , I will have to find out more info.

But it sounded pretty good to me *LOL*

My parents offered a similar deal to DH and myself when we married 28 years ago.

They offered to give us straight cash, in lieu of having a fancy wedding and reception. Being a young girl with thoughts of a lavish wedding, we declined the offer. Oh, how I wish we had taken them up on it! :(

I barely remember my wedding and reception. It was so stressful, and many things went wrong (that's all I remember...the bad), including the bride (me) almost getting electrocuted! :eek:

My DH and I will offer the same deal to our daughters, but by the stack of Brides magazines on my DD's bedside table, I doubt she will take the offer, either. :(

LOL - our daughter was married this past June and if she had taken this route it would have saved us a nice piece of change. Sea Isle Lady - like your case...our daughter wanted the whole ka-bang and she got it. Now they just purchased their first home and I think they would've rather had the $$$ to put toward that. Oh well....live and learn!

My parents offered a similar deal to DH and myself when we married 28 years ago.

They offered to give us straight cash, in lieu of having a fancy wedding and reception. Being a young girl with thoughts of a lavish wedding, we declined the offer. Oh, how I wish we had taken them up on it! :(

I barely remember my wedding and reception. It was so stressful, and many things went wrong (that's all I remember...the bad), including the bride (me) almost getting electrocuted! :eek:

My DH and I will offer the same deal to our daughters, but by the stack of Brides magazines on my DD's bedside table, I doubt she will take the offer, either. :(

Same here , I would have jumped at such an offer .

Archived