I am SO bummed! I'm supposed to be in Hawaii right now

80sGurl

Some bad news to pass on. My family and I will probably have to cancel our cruise. We had 10.00 tickets from skybus and everybody knows what happen to skybus. We have been on-line all night trying to get a new flight but everything is so expensive. The cheapest has been Southwest and that is still 900 dollars we didn't expect to pay. Anybody else affected by this. We are traveling from Columbus,oh. We have tried every route from flying into other airports in the Florida but with no luck. To expensive. We have even thought of driving there and flying back but still would have to pay over 500 dollars. We are going to loose all of our on-board credit which totals around 300 dollars. All other airlines all over priced.

My problem dosen't come close to ompare to yours. I hope for the best and I hope your travel agent will help you. Sometimes life has a way for working these things out. Sometimes it seems like all is lost and the odds are against you but something may pop up to help soften the blow.Keep positive. Mean while I'm still looking.

Did you check Amtrak? I know it is a long ride but it will get you there with someone else driving...

Obviously travel insurance won't prevent problems such as these, but the difference between myself and the OP is that if I were in her shoes, I would have been on this ship right now and my insurance would have reimbursed me for any additional out-of-pocket expenses to get there.

ATA folded days ago. It was not impossible - or even difficult - to reach Honolulu in time to make the ship. Sorry.

Amen!

Travel Insurance, Travel Insurance, Travel Insurance...we never book without it!

lojill- wow, sounds like you are doing exactly what I did. It's astounding that when you're looking, there's nothing out there. Where was your cruise going to? Was it leaving out of FL? Sorry about your vacation too :(

Tina

Some bad news to pass on. My family and I will probably have to cancel our cruise. We had 10.00 tickets from skybus and everybody knows what happen to skybus. We have been on-line all night trying to get a new flight but everything is so expensive. The cheapest has been Southwest and that is still 900 dollars we didn't expect to pay. Anybody else affected by this. We are traveling from Columbus,oh. We have tried every route from flying into other airports in the Florida but with no luck. To expensive. We have even thought of driving there and flying back but still would have to pay over 500 dollars. We are going to loose all of our on-board credit which totals around 300 dollars. All other airlines all over priced.

My problem dosen't come close to ompare to yours. I hope for the best and I hope your travel agent will help you. Sometimes life has a way for working these things out. Sometimes it seems like all is lost and the odds are against you but something may pop up to help soften the blow.Keep positive. Mean while I'm still looking.

Rick,

thanks! That's very nice. I have always declined insurance, sort of took the gamble and I can see where that wasn't the smartest now. It's worth the extra $300 or so because you really never know. I thought in my mind there is nothing that is going to stop us from going on this cruise to Hawaii. I would never have thought an airline would go bankrupt! You just never know what might happen...

I am sure something else good will come my way. There's always good travel opportunites out there.

Tina

Tina.......you seem to be one terrific mom and person. I truly believes what goes around, comes around. You may be dissapointed at your loss today, but with your attitude, something good will be happening....maybe just around the corner.

Keep telling your story with your positive attitude. Someone, somewhere, will be there to see that this does not happen again.

For many years we declined insurance for travel, and just started purchasing it a couple of years ago. We have been very fortunate in the past that something like is happening to you did not happen to us.

Rick

brunolvr- the cruise left last night at 8pm. I did try finding flights into Hilo or Maui as well as a last ditch effort but either there was nothing available, or the prices were SO high, we just couldn't do it x 4

I was thinking the same thing about the $10 tickets. Especially with the crazy cost of fuel. Here in San Diego, the super unleaded gas is nearly $4.00 a gallon now. The jet fuel issue has affected many people & industries.

I don't mean to be cruel or unfeeling, but I don't see how any airline could make it if they charge only $10 for tickets! And you can't really say that "all other airlines are over priced". They have to charge enough to pay expenses.

If they would all charge a reasonable amount for an airline ticket and not give such drastic discounts, maybe service would be better and there would be fewer airlines going bankrupt.

When does your cruise leave? I do hope that something comes up and you're able to take your much anticipated cruise. Good Luck!:)

We leave on April 26th on Mariner. The fuel cost is what is driving the cost of flights. You are right everything looks expensive now after having 10.00 dollar tickets. The close we get to the date the more the tickets are costing. We will keep looking and keep you updated. Thanks for your input

I guess I am confused :confused: I know $900 extra is a lot of money to get to the ship. But for that money you get your vacation. It seems better then throwing away 50% of what you paid for the cruise in cancellation fees plus the $300 OBC that covers 1/3 of the airfare.

If you have insurance then the delta in airfare may well be covered. If you booked insurance with the cruiseline and it does not cover the air you bought on your own I am not certain they will cover you not being willing to pay more to get to the ship unless you have cancel for any reason coverage.

I do hope you find something reasonable :)

Tina, My best wishes to you and your family. I admire how well you are responding to this problem. My daughter's college tennis team just flew ATA to Hawaii over Easter. I feel so lucky that her group of 20 people didn't get stranded.

I'm sure most people on this board know this, but just in case, I want to note that not all travel insurance covers financial default. Also, some cover it only for selected carriers. When you view a policy at insuremytrip.com, there are details under "Financial Default."

Tina,

I'm sure most people on this board know this, but just in case, I want to note that not all travel insurance covers financial default. Also, some cover it only for selected carriers. When you view a policy at insuremytrip.com, there are details under "Financial Default."

Those that cover more have restrictions as well

AIG Travel Gaurd

Financial Default occurring on or before the Insured's coverage effective date or less than fourteen days after the Insured's coverage effective date will not be covered. This coverage applies only if insurance was purchased within fifteen calendar days of Initial Trip payment

Access America

Your tour operator, airline or cruise line ceases operations due to financial default.

Specific requirements (all must apply)

• You purchased this insurance within 14 days of making your first trip deposit or first trip payment.
  • The financial default happens more than seven days after your plan's effective date.
  • The tour operator, airline or cruise line isn't the entity you purchased your plan or your travel services from, or an affiliate of that entity, and was included in our List of covered suppliers on your plan's effective date.

Tina....so sorry for your situation.

I applaud your attitude! You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

IMHO your TA is a real bummer, a good TA would of been working to get you there or at the very least talking to NCL for you.

I am wondering if you can dispute through your credit card where you had your miles and get some kind of refund or like you said maybe get your miles back.

AZCruiser- I tried that angle. I called my credit card company about at least reversing the $600 upgrade fee that just posted to my account and they said they couldn't do anything, since it was still a viable service being offered. I am going to try to contact the Sea Miles department and see if they can re-instate my miles I lost. I really doubt that they will, they will take the stance that it's not their fault, and it's true, it's not their fault, but I guess it's worth just asking... the 88,000 cruise miles took a long time to accumulate! :(

Tina....so sorry for your situation.

I applaud your attitude! You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

IMHO your TA is a real bummer, a good TA would of been working to get you there or at the very least talking to NCL for you.

I am wondering if you can dispute through your credit card where you had your miles and get some kind of refund or like you said maybe get your miles back.

Why can't you drive there and then drive back? My husband and I drive from Georgia to Michigan a few times a year. It is a pain in the butt, but much cheaper than flying. That way you can still go on your cruise.

Why don't you just drive both ways? I can understand that you are upset about Skybus going under but you that plenty of time and other options.

I feel sorry for the OP. She had very little time to try to arrange other flights and had no option to drive.

I agree, getting from Columbus,OH to Florida is not gonna be that difficult. You can drive the whole way. You can drive to another city and get tickets. Pull up southwest route maps to get some ideas. Also look at Airtran. You could fly into Orlando, W. Palm, Ft Lauderdale or Miami and drive the rest of the way.

It suck$, but there are plenty of ways to get from Columbus to Florida. I would not give up unless the cruise was really cheap and it is not too bad to let the $$ go.

Getting to Hawaii is of course another story.

Obviously travel insurance won't prevent problems such as these, but the difference between myself and the OP is that if I were in her shoes, I would have been on this ship right now and my insurance would have reimbursed me for any additional out-of-pocket expenses to get there.

ATA folded days ago. It was not impossible - or even difficult - to reach Honolulu in time to make the ship. Sorry.

Hmmm. I have TravelInsured, one of the better insurance companies out there. Their policy is as follows:

The insurer will pay a benefit, up to the maximun shown on the Schedule of Coverage and Services, if You are prevented from taking or continuing Your covered Trip due to the following Unforseen Events:

f) Bankruptcy or Default of Your Travel Supplier which occurs more than 14 days following Your Effective Date... Benefits will be paid due to Bankruptcy or Default of an airline only if no alternate transportation is available. If alternate transportation is available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow the Insured to transfer to another airline in order to get to the Insured's intended destination.

I don't know for certain that "the change fee" includes the increased costs of new airfare, what would be considered reasonable, or if the sky's the limit. "Change fee" isn't specified in the definitions. So unless yours says something more specific, maybe you wouldn't be going in this situation either.

Friends of mine who are going on the same cruise as mine in August were also affected by ATA's demise, and alternate arrangements were scarce even four months out. With or without insurance. He was on the phone at 9am eastern time Thursday morning.

Thank you 80sGurl, my daughter is fully recovered now.

We leave on April 26th on Mariner. The fuel cost is what is driving the cost of flights. You are right everything looks expensive now after having 10.00 dollar tickets. The close we get to the date the more the tickets are costing. We will keep looking and keep you updated. Thanks for your input

I did a quick search flying out on the 26th back on the 4th $ 274 - CMH-FLL. You get in late on the 26th but planty of time to make the return since it leaves after 7 pm. For $291 you can leave at 1:30.

http://www.kayak.com/

f) Bankruptcy or Default of Your Travel Supplier which occurs more than 14 days following Your Effective Date... Benefits will be paid due to Bankruptcy or Default of an airline only if no alternate transportation is available. If alternate transportation is available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow the Insured to transfer to another airline in order to get to the Insured's intended destination.

Similiar to my policy and as long as you are going coach to coach they will cover all the cost of change keeping in mind the limit of the policy is the total cost of the trip.

So in Tina's case with a tolat cost of the cruise less then $3000 she still would not have been able to get to HI even if she had insurance without spending 1000s more. She can stop kicking herself now :)

lojill on the other hand would have no coverage if she doesnot spend more money to get to FL. :(

But wouldn't the travel insurance have covered the cost of my cruise fare? I was fortunate enough that US Air is refunding my credit card for our airfare of $2,000.

I am just wondering if the Travel Insurance would have covered the cruise fee? I'm sorta confused about that.

I also had booked $1,200 in excursions directly from NCL, but they said I won't be charged, they will just fall off because I'm a 'no show'

I guess it really could be worse, I could be out way more money for the cruise. $2,600 is a pittance compared to what you can pay for a family of 4 if you pay for a really upgraded room

Tina

Similiar to my policy and as long as you are going coach to coach they will cover all the cost of change keeping in mind the limit of the policy is the total cost of the trip.

So in Tina's case with a tolat cost of the cruise less then $3000 she still would not have been able to get to HI even if she had insurance without spending 1000s more. She can stop kicking herself now :)

lojill on the other hand would have no coverage if she doesnot spend more money to get to FL. :(

I also had booked $1,200 in excursions directly from NCL, but they said I won't be charged, they will just fall off because I'm a 'no show'

I wouldn't take this to the bank Tina (no pun intended). Maybe it's different since you are a no show for the entire cruise, but it's my understanding that you have to cancel shore excursions 48 hours prior to arriving at that port or you will be charged. Of course, excursions are put on your sign and sail card, which is backed by the credit card you present when boarding, so I don't know how they could charge you.

BUT:

I'd call NCL back and make darned sure that they have cancelled you on all shore excursions. After all you've been through, and all you have lost, you don't need more charges showing up somewhere/somehow. I've found when it comes to corporations and money, where there's a will theres a way.

But wouldn't the travel insurance have covered the cost of my cruise fare? I was fortunate enough that US Air is refunding my credit card for our airfare of $2,000.

I am just wondering if the Travel Insurance would have covered the cruise fee? I'm sorta confused about that.

I guess it really could be worse, I could be out way more money for the cruise. $2,600 is a pittance compared to what you can pay for a family of 4 if you pay for a really upgraded room

Tina

It would have covered the cruise cost but you would have still missed your vacation. In fact if you had a policy that covered the $3000 for the cruise and $2000 for air they would have paid up to a max $5000 (total price of the trip you took out the policy for) in additional airfare to get you to HI. As you stated that cost was as much as $12,000. One other thing most of those companies unlike your TA would have helped to find new air. It is to their advantage to find the best deal. After all in most cases they are paying for it.

Because you were unable to get alternate flights to you destination, then yes, your cruise fare should have been covered.

Hi all,

I have a really depressing story... We were supposed to leave on a plane yesterday for Hawaii. Our cruise leaves this evening. I saw the ATA Airlines Bankruptcy announcement on Thursday, 1 day before we were supposed to leave.

I freaked! My tickets were no good.

So I literally spent from 10:15am Thursday till about 9:30pm trying to get alternate tickets. I also spent a good 4 hours on Friday making attempts to get tix... NOTHING. I went back and forth to the airport three times total and spent all day on the phone or internet with ALL the carriers.

I had an AMAZING deal on this cruise. I booked it with my Carnival Sea Miles credit card miles. I used up 88,000 points and basically got the lowest level room for $2099 for our family of 4.

The real kicker here and huge bummer?? About 3 days ago, the travel agent called and said Norwegian was trying to get rid of a Family Suite, so for $150 more per person, for the whole week, we could be upgraded. I jumped on that!! 3x the size of our original room, 2 bedrooms, a living room, large floor to ceiling french windows. We have never been to Hawaii, so we were all totally excited and I worked long and hard to make this happen.

It appears ALL the airlines are completely booked because of the bankruptcy of Aloha Airlines too. People are scrambling to get alternate tickets, hence I had no luck. I tried SO hard. I tried every angle, believe me. If you can find a flight, it's like $2000-$3500 round trip. That would be $8,000 plus and we just can't afford that. The soonest flights are Monday too, which is really too late.

So to make a long story short, we are here and not going. I am able to get a refund on the tickets because the first leg was thru US Air and they are going to refund me, which I'm thankful for.

Unfortunately I did not get Trip Insurance and I see where that was a huge mistake... you just never know what might happen. I am hoping that my travel agent can at least get the $600 upgrade back or even some kind of voucher to get a discount on another cruise... something! Even my 88,000 miles back?

Am I being unreasonable? I don't know, I guess I'm just emotional and sad about the whole thing.

If my agent doesn't get anywhere (and I really don't think he's trying too hard to be honest, because he'll lose a commission, I'm not happy with his response and lack of emotion at all) I have the Customer Relations number for Norwegian and I'm going to fax a letter and go from there. There's really not much else I can do.

That's my unfortunate story!! Thx for listening!!

Tina M

San Diego CA

I am sure you have had lots of advice on what to do but here is something and I don't know if it will work. If your TA can't get you on another cruise (doubt you would get the money back) then I would call the cruise line and try and get a sympathetic ear. Call, write the President of the Cruise line they will not take your birthday away from you for trying and all they can say bad is NO. I would try anything. You would be surprised what they may come up with. I would even resort to doing a little crying and sniffling. Sometimes it will work. Good luck

CruisnGram-

when I called NCL yesterday to say I couldn't come because of lack of flights, I asked about Shore Excursions and they said don't worry, I won't be charged. I asked the same thing a few days ago directly to the NCL's Excursion Center and she said the same. I wonder if I should call NCL's excursion people just to be sure? Maybe I better, now that you mention it.

Tina

I wouldn't take this to the bank Tina (no pun intended). Maybe it's different since you are a no show for the entire cruise, but it's my understanding that you have to cancel shore excursions 48 hours prior to arriving at that port or you will be charged. Of course, excursions are put on your sign and sail card, which is backed by the credit card you present when boarding, so I don't know how they could charge you.

BUT:

I'd call NCL back and make darned sure that they have cancelled you on all shore excursions. After all you've been through, and all you have lost, you don't need more charges showing up somewhere/somehow. I've found when it comes to corporations and money, where there's a will theres a way.

Lucky99- When I tried talking to NCL about it yesterday, they pretty much turned a deaf ear on me and said, "speak to the hand" - They need to talk to my TA. It's hard since I have such a lame TA. However, I do have the fax number for NCL's Customer Relations dept. I am going to write them a letter and I'm also going to write a letter to the president of NCL. I have their corporate address in Miami. It can't hurt... Most likely I'll get a "too bad, so sad, why didn't you have travel ins?" response but it's the last thing I can do to put it all to rest. Even a voucher for a discount on another cruise as a good faith response from NCL would be nice. It would be good PR for them because I'm good at spreading the news ;) I will probably do the letters tomorrow.

Tina

I am sure you have had lots of advice on what to do but here is something and I don't know if it will work. If your TA can't get you on another cruise (doubt you would get the money back) then I would call the cruise line and try and get a sympathetic ear. Call, write the President of the Cruise line they will not take your birthday away from you for trying and all they can say bad is NO. I would try anything. You would be surprised what they may come up with. I would even resort to doing a little crying and sniffling. Sometimes it will work. Good luck

Archived