Captain's Table Invitation

kpoppa

It has been over 20 years since our last cruise. My first, of many, questions involve how to obtain an invitation to the Captain's Table for dinner.

We are sailing on 8-17-08 to Alaska on the Celebrity Mecury and will be occupying a Sky Suite.

How can we manage to get an invitation to dine with the Captain??

kpoppa

It has been over 20 years since our last cruise. My first, of many, questions involve how to obtain an invitation to the Captain's Table for dinner.

We are sailing on 8-17-08 to Alaska on the Celebrity Mecury and will be occupying a Sky Suite.

How can we manage to get an invitation to dine with the Captain??

kpoppa

It will be tough because you are competing with people in more expensive suites, people who cruise frequently and who are rewarded for their return business. Others get invited because they're great lookers, have an important contact with head office and others who are just plain lucky.

You cant "manage to get an invitation to dine with the Captain" For one thing, today's captains seldom dine in the dining room even though there is a table designated for him and his party - in the course of a 7day cruise, he might dine there once. And also, even in a Sky Suite, you are still down in the pecking order for those who might be invited. And lastly, because you obviously do not have a number of cruises already sailed with X, pushes you further down the pecking order. It is considered rude and gauche to ask for an invitation, but you might just luck out. No big deal, no big honor either IMO:)

We just returned from Galaxy - 11 night cruise. It was our first Celebrity cruise, however we are Diamond Members on Royal Caribbean, so therefore Elite with Celebrity. We were invited to dinner at the Captains table, it was a wonderful experience, and we feel honored to have been invited.

For one thing, today's captains seldom dine in the dining room even though there is a table designated for him and his party - in the course of a 7day cruise, he might dine there once.

The Captain's Table is used twice (early and late seating) on formal nights. So during a 7 night cruise with 2 formal nights, there are 4 chances to get invited. The Master (Captain) hosts only one out of those 4 seatings. Other Officers, like the Staff Captain, Hotel Director, Chief Engineer, etc. host the other seatings. Asking for an invitation is "not done", but casually introducing yourself to the Captain's Club Hostess on embarkation day never hurts... He/she prepares the invitation list during the very first night of the cruise!

Floris

We had our first invitation to the Captain's table on last year's Alaska cruise on the Infinity. There were people at the table that had not cruised very much as well as frequent cruisers. I don't know what the criteria is, but glad we finally got to enjoy it.

We've been invited and I honestly don't know why. Yes we were in a sky suite, but 2 other couples at the table were not. At the time it was our second cruise on celebrity. I would like to say it was because we are a dashing couple, but that doesn't hold water either.

I agree that those who sail often are aforded the chance and those in the high rent district are on the short list. Shmooshing with the hostess might help, it is something I did naturally when we checked in and who knows maybe that was the key.

Good Luck, you never know and it will be fun. They serve wine and we had brandy after dinner. It was fun.

The best part was that we met another couple at the captains table and we have since sailed with them and they are joining us on the January cruise.

we have been invited twice and twice we turned down the invitation...have no idea why we have been invited...and didnt think it was a big deal...but the last cruise our table mates insisted we give it a go...

nothing special...same food...but if you like attention then it is the thing to do...they wait till all are seated, then you walk down the staircase and of course sit with all being able to see you....

so now we have done it...and can say we have...but have no idea why we were invited....maybe because everyone else turned it down...

We have been asked twice. Since we eat at the early seating, the Staff Captain was the Host. As for the food. We had lots of free wine, a special dessert, flowers for the ladies and a group photo.

The last time, on the Mercury, I got to know the hostess fairly well. She said the first or second night she tries to meet some possible candidates for the dinner. She said she looks for people who "would be compatible" and certain amount of that means your attire. So don't dress up for dinner that first night, but don't wear blue jeans either.

BTW... at the other Captains dinner we sat with the Head Environmental engineer. Yes, the guy in charge of sewage and garbage. Needless to say our toilets worked the entire cruise :)

Although it is the same food, it is a nice opportunity to meet other people and to be able to talk with the ship staff. The picture was quite nice too.

Fblack,

I think you hit it on the getting to know the hostess. We did do several things with her starting with the CC gathering and running into her regularly on that cruise

We stayed in a Royal Suite on our last sailing on the Summit. Turned it down. Did not want to dine with the help. I don't dine with the cabin steward so why dine with the guy driving the bus.

The guy driving the bus does not provide the wine.:rolleyes: The guy "driving" the ship can also provide a special invitation to visit the bridge at better opportunities than the average bridge tour. The captain can provide insights into the operation of a company a little beyond the average "employee"... and I have never found a captain as condescending as certain Royal Suite occupants seem to be.:cool:

For those not familiar with the story, it was Lady Astor sailing on Cunard during its heyday of transAtlantic travel who was quoted as saying she would never consider dining with the "help" so the above thread smacks somewhat of plagiarism:)

I would never dine with the President, I mean he serves the people ,right.

How about a movie star,or a star athlete,or a famous author,or doctor?We pay their salaries,so I guess they're the hired help,and consequently below us.

I would dine with anyone who I thought might be an interesting person, regardless of how they earn their living. I like most people, but try to avoid those who think they are better than anybody else...people like that bore me to tears.

We have been on seven cruises and invited to the Captain's Table twice, including the most recent. And as a bonus, the whole table was invited to the bridge as we sailed from Tortola. Oh, always an inside cabin.

We stayed in a Royal Suite on our last sailing on the Summit. Turned it down. Did not want to dine with the help. I don't dine with the cabin steward so why dine with the guy driving the bus.

and the captain was heard to say, "I am sure happy that I didn't have to dine with that person in the Royal Suite".

This was an April Fool's joke, right?

Surely someone who "stayed" in a suite (interesting choice of words) should know how to have a tad more panache . . . or is it esprit de corps . . . or maybe they are just plain narcissistic?

Money doesn't buy class or common sense.

p.s. there is therapy and treatment for NPD.

Again I want to thank all those who have replay, and given great advice. I guess just about any group has a few 'smart alecs', just hope I don't run into many 'snobs' on our cruise.

You won't - because as on any plane, train or automobile . . . they will be far too busy with themselves. Just ignore them - they need the attention and will do their best to get it. You have much more important matters - your own vacation!

Have a great cruise and I hope you get invited to dine with the Captain - he (or she!) would be lucky.

I work with a children's charity and when our kids happen to be traveling on Celebrity - they always get an invitation to dine with the Captain. It is a great honor and I am sure the Captain is delighted when the guests are real people. I've heard outstanding reports.

Have a terrific trip!

Cruiseguy, that was funny, I have exactly the same sense of humour as you (and I'm a Brit!).

A shame others take you so lterally.

:)

Archived