Captain's Table Invitation

kpoppa

Do you dine with your valet too? Or your Dry cleaner? We all put importance on different things. He is the help. Now maybe those who judged me feel a bit sensitive because I ruined their image of how wonderful it is

I thought he was being funny too until he followed up with this post.

We have been on seven cruises and invited to the Captain's Table twice, including the most recent. And as a bonus, the whole table was invited to the bridge as we sailed from Tortola. Oh, always an inside cabin.

To quote a TV bus driver "How sweet it is."

We recently made our sixth visit to the Captain's table on the Constellation (six of twelve Celebrity cruises). We usually have an inside cabin and were just given Elite status with the Captain's Club a couple of years ago.

Here is my take on this:

--we always sit at a table for two; which makes it easy to invite us without making others at the table feel left out.

--we do early seating, so all our invites have been with officers other than the captain.

--we are usually having a good time when people (CC hostess, Maitre' d...,) drop by our table.

--my wife is tall, blond and cute; she usually is seated next to the officer during the dinner. :rolleyes:

--I'm just a lucky guy!:)

Enjoy!

Kel

Enjoy!

Kel

To quote a TV bus driver "How sweet it is."

Arno........speaking of Captains Tables.........I was looking at some pictures the other day.........and I guess that we were fortunate enough to join the two of you at a captains table on the Mercury.

It's been awhile.....hope you both are in great health!!

Rick

Not sure but I'm a bit of an outgoing person and like to talk to everyone. I always introduce myself and my partner/husband ( In Canada ).

We have never actually had dinner with the Captain, but always one of the senior officers. One our last Zenith cruise there was a leggy bleached blonde pouring out of her top falling all over the Captain. It was quite a sight as he was trying to pay attention to the whole table. At the Captains Club party I approached him ( donning my tux ) and asked him if he had a nice time with the 'blonde', he turned beet red, the hotel manager and Captains club hostess both BURST out laughing...he just said " Don't tell my wife" and smiled. The next day when we came back into the cabin...the invites were sitting on the bed waiting for us. We've also simply been asked before getting the invite. Once on Mercury at the Senior officers cocktail party we had our favorite waiter and he kept them coming:) . We were making a point of walking around and talking to everyone....for some reason the group just seperated into couples or small groups and people weren't interacting...so I did. The Captains Club hostess asked if I was after her job, I smiled and said 'no' I just like to talk. She smiled and asked if I'd like to talk at the Captains table....Of course I was speechless at the verbal invite.....She said some of the officers had enjoyed our conversations and they liked the way we socialized. Low and behold the next day.....actually next afternoon, as she called to let us know the printer was down but still wanted to confirm.

And there are other stories.....

So I think it does depend on what room you are in, or your personality, or the # of cruises you have taken, or if you know a senior staff member, or any combination of the above.

Its great to get the picture, the wine and beverages are amazing, and the service outstanding. Being said its the exact same food everyone else is eating.

The fun part is after desert when they bring the roses around......the server always looks confused when he gets to me and John, so one of us ususally holds up our hand and exclaims " I'll be the woman tonight" which gets a big laugh out of the table and puts the poor guy handing out roses at ease:D .

Dave:eek:

Dave, thanks for making me laugh:D that was a great story.

15 cruises, twice invited. Both times accepted. I sail solo

and 95% of the time have an inside cabin.

Enoyed myself, though the 2nd time I did miss my tablemates

and went over to see them after dinner:) (we had late seating)

and they were still there when the Capt's table finished.

Not sure but I'm a bit of an outgoing person and like to talk to everyone. I always introduce myself and my partner/husband ( In Canada ).

Its great to get the picture, the wine and beverages are amazing, and the service outstanding. Being said its the exact same food everyone else is eating.

Dave:eek:

Dave......great post. I can tell that you have had the honor of dining with the Captain. The only thing that can change, at the captains descression is that he may elect to have something other than what everyone else in the dining room is eating.......as it is his menu that we all choose from. I have had some very interesting dishes that were not on the main menu for the rest of the dining room.:)

Rick

Dave, thanks for making me laugh:D that was a great story.

15 cruises, twice invited. Both times accepted. I sail solo

and 95% of the time have an inside cabin.

Enoyed myself, though the 2nd time I did miss my tablemates

and went over to see them after dinner:) (we had late seating)

and they were still there when the Capt's table finished.

oops...I meant to say I enjoyed myself.

Have also been on 16 cruises and invited to the Captain's Table twice. It was wonderful and can't imagine anyone that wouldn't enjoy the invitation. This time we are saililng 6/20/08 to Alaska and that day is our 54th Anniversary. It would be wonderful to be invited and made to feel special.

Have also been on 16 cruises and invited to the Captain's Table twice. It was wonderful and can't imagine anyone that wouldn't enjoy the invitation. This time we are saililng 6/20/08 to Alaska and that day is our 54th Anniversary. It would be wonderful to be invited and made to feel special.

Nannie:

If you have been married 54 years you are special! Congrats and have a wonderful cruise!

We stayed in a Royal Suite on our last sailing on the Summit. Turned it down. Did not want to dine with the help. I don't dine with the cabin steward so why dine with the guy driving the bus.

Oh Pahleeze!!!

We have dined once at the Captain's table on the Infinity in 2006. It was on the first formal night and for us a nice treat in a number of ways:

1) met our tablemates early with a complementary drink. Afterwards, met our tablemates on several occasions for a drink. Also we had new friends to say hi to during the remaining cruise.

2) had the experience of sitting there and seeing first hand how dinner was ordered, etc. Martha sat next to the Staff Captain.

3) Received a group photo. They took the picture from the upper level of the whole table. I still like to look at the picture and enjoy a nice memory.

I personally like the concept. It would be nice to allow as many people to try it. I personally also hope they do NOT have a set methodology so people could then try to beat the system. We had a first time couple and we were Elite due to our Diamond status on RCL. We do not know why we were picked, but it was a nice perk.

I was also glad it was on the first formal night as it did not look like it would have been appropriate to ask for a second lobster. :)

As to eating with the 'help' only one person was the help and he in business parlance would be the boss. It was difficult to understand him though. Martha did have his ear... :)

It is a great deal of fun, and a wonderful evening being invited to dine at the Captain's Table. Don't let anyone try to tell you anything different.

Whether it is the Captain, or one of the other officers hosting the table, it is a very special evening.

We have been invited to dine at the Captain's Table twice (in six cruises) and both times it was one of the highlights of the cruise.

I don't have a cute, blonde wife, but my partner, Joe, and I are outgoing, we clean up pretty well, and make it a point to have a good time while on our cruises.

Paul

If you turn down an invitation to dine at the Captains table then, that's your choice, but I think it would be nice to enjoy the experience of the tradition of dining with the Officers.

We've never had that pleasure, but we have been invited to the Bridge on many occasions and loved it. I respect and admire 'the driver' and 'the help' as 'cruiseguy2223' sadly refers to them. I feel it is a privilege to be invited to his 'office', the Bridge. Anyone who thinks they're above these people to even associate with them probably sit alone at their dining table at night.;)

Jillybean:)

We were invited to the "Hotel Manager's table" on our Panama Canal cruise about a year ago. I think we were invited because we had had a very minor problem with not getting a free "martini recipe cd" that was supposed to come with a martini tasting.

The captains club hostess found out that the real reason we didn't receive it was because they were out of them. She was very nice about it, we were very nice right back, and completely understood.

A few hours later we got an invite for the next evening, I assume due to a cancellation. I think sometimes you just end up making the right impression on the right person, at the right time.

Other than ourselves, the rest of the table was obviously well heeled, and all in suites. The brand new Hotel manager, who had just come from Crystal Cruise lines was extremely nice, and if I was ever invited again I'd go in a second.

Garrick

We were invited to the "Hotel Manager's table" on our Panama Canal cruise about a year ago... The brand new Hotel manager, who had just come from Crystal Cruise lines was extremely nice, and if I was ever invited again I'd go in a second.

Garrick

Philip Herbert on Summit perhaps?

Do you dine with your valet too? Or your Dry cleaner? We all put importance on different things. He is the help. Now maybe those who judged me feel a bit sensitive because I ruined their image of how wonderful it is

Not sure why he thinks he's 'ruined' anything....NPD methinks.

Congratulations! 54 years...that's great! May you have many more!:)

We get an invitation to the officers' table on every cruise. (Who cares why?????)

We always go; it's a TON of fun, and you never know who else you're going to meet, but you ALWAYS know your drinks are gonna be free.:D

It's a win-win kinda thing, and you even get a picture of yourselves next to the officer!!!!!!:)

Archived