What to do now?

I recently booked 3 rooms for our cruise on Liberty for April 4, 2009. 2 promenade rooms for the four kids and one balcony room across the hall for my husband and I. We originally didn't think my oldest daughter was going to be able to join us because of her college schedule. But as it turns out she will be able to go. I called RCCL today to add her on to the booking and they said they don't have any 3 person rooms left. I asked about a family promenade room for all the kids and she said there was nothing there either. I asked for a suite for all 7 of us and she said still nothing was left.

Do I really need a 3 person balcony room if I just need a crib the room? The balcony room that we have booked is big enough for us, we really don't need to have the pullman bed because the little guy can just sleep in a pack n play. He is my daughters son, but could we just book him in our room and put the two oldest girls together. Then if there was room in the promenade room for a pack n play he would sleep in there with the two girls. (but would be booked in our room)

So I guess I have a 2 part question.

Why do I see rooms for 3 people on the website yet when I call she says there are none available? My first guess was that they didn't have any 3 person balcony rooms open with rooms directly across the hall. I've read that RCCL changed there policy recently so that kids needed to be directly across the hall from the parents. That is fine with me, that is how I want it anyway I'm just curious if that might be the reason I see rooms available online yet RCCL says none are available.

Secondly, IF I do manage to get a room for 3 and then the other kids are across the hall. Would it work to book the baby (my granson) in my room as the 3rd person but actually have him sleep in the room across the hall with my 2 daughters? Is there some sort of fire code, or is it just that it might be too crowded.

Please don't anybody flame me. I'm not trying to get around any RCCL rules, I just want to know if that would work or if there is a safety reason or other "law" why we couldn't do it.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I would love to hear your suggestions or advice.

After re-reading this post let me just explain the booking as it stands.

1 promenade room for my daughter (18) and her son (2)

1 promenade room for my son (14) and son (12)

1 balcony room for my husband and I

I need to add my other daughter (19) to the booking some how.

We ran into this once before and most likely it is a lifeboat issue. Although they have the bed space listed, they may only take on as many passengers as the lifeboats will hold. When you book, it is best to book for the highest possible of passengers, pay the deposit and take them off later if they can't make it. If they are the third or forth in the cabin, then RCCL will apply the deposit to the end total if you let them know by their deadline, which we were told was only several days before. (Always verify this with the cruise line). As long as the "basic" price of the room is paid for, they usually can do this.

That is not the problem. It is the occupancy in each cabin. With or without the pack and play it does count and if the cabin can only hold 2 it can only hold 2. Yes , I think if you book the baby in with you and then move him into the other cabin, no one will be the wiser I guess. The better solution is to find cabins somewhere that fit into the numbers. Maybe a ov family cabin that holds 5 and then a balcony near for you . That would be the best solution in my book.

Gosh, your cruise is a year away.....I would think there would be something

How about trying to find 2 connecting staterooms for the kids and switch yours somehow.

I noticed on RCL you could get interior connecting rooms on deck 9 across from some balconies (That way the kids can keep an eye on each other)

That is not the problem. It is the occupancy in each cabin. With or without the pack and play it does count and if the cabin can only hold 2 it can only hold 2. Yes , I think if you book the baby in with you and then move him into the other cabin, no one will be the wiser I guess. The better solution is to find cabins somewhere that fit into the numbers. Maybe a ov family cabin that holds 5 and then a balcony near for you . That would be the best solution in my book.

OP stated that she saw cabins listed for 3 available, but they would not book her into one, I believe. A cabin can hold 3 pax, but if they don't have the lifeboat space, it can only be sold for 2. At least that's what my RCCL rep told me just yesterday, which is why you have to start with the max the room will hold (including lifeboat space)and then subtract later, and then another 3 person cabin can open up for 3, if needed, which is why she should keep trying for a cancellation.

I've run into this as well on NCL, which is where I was first told of the lifeboat space issue. It was a new ship and listed plenty of 3 person cabins, but I was not allowed to book one due and they stated that they didn't have the lifeboat space. In other words, when a ship is filled to capacity, it doesn't necessarily mean all of the beds are filled, just the lifeboats.

Maybe someone in the industry can confirm this.

Right now as it stands, the main problem, as I read it is that she can only find space for those already booked and wants to add one more.

I'd try and get a balcony that holds 3, then I'd put one of the younger kids on the floor in the promenade and let the older daughter have the bed in the promenade.* Kids don't really care where they sleep, and they can sleep anywhere!* I certainly would NOT give up my privacy because my daughter couldn't make up her mind!As long as you have booked the correct number of berths, it really won't matter WHERE anyone sleeps.

If you can't get her booked, have her stay with a friend--Hard lesson, but one worth learning!

I would call and talk to someone else. I just checked your sailing on Travelocity and many cabins came up for 3. There were inside cabins, oceanview, D1, etc. Why not put your daughter that is joining you and the daughter with the baby in an inside or an oceanview? Then leave everyone else alone?

Thanks for all the advice.

I guess it is correct when people say just keep calling until you get the answer you want.

I called back today and the lady I talked to today said that the room we have can fit a crib in it just fine so there was no need to switch rooms. She added my grandson to my room, took him off the promenade room and added my daughter to the promenade room. As long as there is room in the promenade room we will move the pack and play to the promenade room with my two daughters.

The only problem I see at this point is figuring out the tips for my grandson. They didn't add them on to the reservation so I will have to pay them onboard, but our cabin attendant will be expecting them since my grandson will be booked in our room. However I think the tips should go to the cabin attendant for the promenade room where he will most likely be staying.

Maybe we will just pay both attendants the tips for my grandson and leave it at that. Or maybe we will get lucky and we will all have the same attendant and then I won't have to worry about it.

Anyways, my daughter is added to the reservation and now I can move on to worrying about other things!

Archived