Cruising the Conquest with a preschooler, a lreview

meatball77

Then hot husband took mini-meatball up to play mini-golf. It is difficult to play mini-golf when the ship is moving because it's very windy.

cruiseSaturday168.jpg

cruiseSaturday176.jpg

We then got ready for dinner. Mini-meatball wanted to eat at camp carnival so we dropped her off there. They were having a fairwell party after dinner with color your own bags.

We showed up at dinner and everyone asked us where mini-meatball was. The waiter, the people next to us, the old couple that complimented us everytime we saw them, the drink waiter.

Hot husband ordered the escargot and the quail.

cruiseSaturday179.jpg

cruiseSaturday180.jpg

I had the prime rib

cruiseSaturday181.jpg

Thanks so much for your review.

We are going on the Conquest in June for our very first cruise ever. We will be taking our 3 daughters with us 8,5, and 3. This has really helped us to get a feel for the goings on on the ship. I'm really starting to get excited.

We are going on our first cruise- also on the Conquest in June! I LOVE your review! Your daughter is so precious! It looks like you all had an amazing trip! Thanks so much for the great review. It has gotten me so excited for our cruise! Hi mini-meatball! :o

I have been following this thread since your first post. Thank you so much for taking time out of you busy lives to do this. Great fun reading this, and following your adventures. Your family is adorable - I hope you have many more years of cruising together.

Be thankful that she is taking time out of her cruise to post a review. No need to be rude!

Not to waste thread space defending a positive comment, but it as an excellent review that I did not want to stop reading.

Great job meatball!!!!!

We went back to our room to do some packing and then picked up mini-meatball from camp carnival. She'd had a terrific time.

cruiseSaturday182.jpg

When we came back to the room we finished packing our things to put out for the next night. They took the robes that night which was irritating as we'd packed as much as possible.

We then ordered room service. We got a few sandwiches (the roast beef was delicious). We also set our order out for the morning (adding some extra cereal for snacks on the plane).

We stayed in our room in the morning until we were kicked out. We were one of the last groups to exit the ship and the customs line was way to long, we were in line for about an hour.

We then went to the transfer booth. We were asked for documentation that we'd purchased the transfer. We then got on the bus which left right after we got on.

The bus stopped at Hobby which was annoying as we'd all been told that they didn't go to hobby. Not sure how much longer the detour took but we didn't have any risk of missing our flight.

When we got off the bus at the airport we realized that we'd left mini-meatballs favorite brand new monkey (a stuffed "towel monkey") on the bus :( she was heartbroken. We turned on the laptops in the airport and searched obsessively for one on the internet but couldn't find one. If anyone knows of where I can get one mini-meatball would be very happy.

We flew home and arrived home about 9:00pm. We were delighted by the work the contractor had done on the house but not happy that we had to be up early in the morning. Arriving home on a Saturday would have been better.

We enjoyed our trip on the conquest. I think a cruise is a great vacation for parents with young children because you get to do things that you usually can't do because of the kids. If we'd been traveling alone we would have liked a traditional vacation better. We did get a little stir crazy on the ship the last day although the itinerary may have been part of that. I would have loved a day to relax in between the ports.

Dining:

Breakfast was delicious in the dining room and the buffets were also good. I would have liked the dining rooms and buffets to be open earlier as we generally had to wait before we could eat breakfast.

Lunch was varied and there were quite a few options. However, lunch did not start till noon which is a problem when you're used to eating before noon or you're from an earlier time zone. This was an irritation; I wish they could have opened the lunch options at 11:00 leaving one line open for late breakfasters.

Dinner was delicious every night. More desert options would have been nice (just two non diet deserts plus the cake). There was a nice variety although by the end I'd had enough fancy food and just wanted some buffalo wings. Our waiter was a total mess but always polite, I think being at a single table was part of that.

Decor:

Man was the ship tacky. There were areas that were nice looking (the lobby) but generally the designer took everything about two steps too far. For example the carpet:

cruiseSaturday148.jpg

Cabins:

Our cabin was nice; they did a good job setting it up so that the space was used efficiently. We loved the window and it looked much nicer than the portholes we saw on the other ships. You can even set little ones in the windows to look outside. We were in room 1336 on the first deck and liked our location. While it took us a while to get places it was very quiet and we never had noise problems even though we went to bed early.

Camp Carnival:

Mini-meatball really loved camp carnival. She asked repeatedly to go back and was disappointed when she had to leave. The activities were perfect for a four year old. I did see some things that could have been done better. The art activities didn't generally allow the kids to participate as much as they should have. It seemed like the teachers made the projects and then allowed a little input from the kids. The younger kids often were not participating with the group and the councilors didn't like when that happened even though it was completely appropriate for their age. Having free play and an activity would have been more appropriate for the twos and threes. The fours and fives loved the activities though. The night time activities were also a problem because they were keeping them active. I would have used camp carnival in the evening if they'd had movie and rest time for the kiddos after 8:00. Kids in the 2-5's should be sleeping in the evening so they're not a terror the next day. All in all it was fantastic though.

Thanks for the compliment on mini-meatball. I too think she's adorable. :)

If anyone can figure out how I can get another of those stuffed towel monkeys I'd be forever in your debt.

If you haven't found one by August, let me know. We'll be on the Conquest & I'll see if I can't locate on on ship for you. My email is jensing317@aim.com

My DS left a toy I got him in Cozumel on the boat the last time we sailed so I understand about the trauma it causes!! :)

My DH and DD are traveling in 14 days on the Valor. What I great review to share with DD! I will try to do a similiar on for our trip, too. I wish I had know about the Race excursion in Cozumel before we booked our Dolphin Encounter. I am sure we will have a blast on that one.

Meatball, thanks for the great review. We are going on our first cruise, on the Conquest, in Jan 09 with our 5 year old son, so it is good to hear about cruising with a little one. You have a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

MM

p.s. would you recommend the catamaran cruise that you went on? I am considering booking it instead of Capt Marvins after seeing your pics.

• 1 month later...

Archived