XPF, Pacific Francs rates on board

spakman

Any feedback on what rates are like on board for XPF? Would I be better purchasing some (if I can) before we leave?

Rates are better at a bank, but they charge a bigger upfront fee so it will depend on how much cash you need. When I did my sums, for up to $200 it was better value to exchange at the pursers or withdraw from the ATM opposite the terminal in Noumea.

If you have a look on the Pacific Islands board (Ports of call) most suggest using ATM's as the best rate of exchange for XPF.

Geri and I plan on withdrawing in Noumea, our first port of call, and getting enough out for Papeete, Moorea, Raiatea and Bora Bora........then we need NZD for Cook Islands, FJD for Fiji, USD for Pago Pago, Samoan Tala for Apia and Pa'anga for Tonga:eek: :eek: ........and then we have the times zones to deal with:p

Chez

xx

Any feedback on what rates are like on board for XPF? Would I be better purchasing some (if I can) before we leave?

We investigated exchange rates before our cruise last February. We live in Brisbane, and the only bank we could find that had Pacific Francs was the main Commonwealth Bank in the centre of Brisbane. If we had the currency transferred to a local branch there was a $15 fee. We exchanged currency at the Purser's Office and the rate was not quite as good as at the Commonwealth Bank. We were only changing $60 so it it was worth it for the convenience. We will be doing the same thing on our next cruise in 10 days' time.:)

10 times in this hole, I have never exchanged, push come to to shove they take Aussie $ ... dont bother .. but do know the rate and take a calculator ( I never go away without one ) .

This depends on where you are going. In Vila, Suva, Savusavu everyone seems to take Aussie dollars, but in Noumea many places don't. We saw a taxi driver (politely) refuse a passenger who did not have francs, and the Tjibaou Cultural Centre will not take Aussie dollars. If you just want to walk around Noumea or buy the tours in the visitor centre you do not need francs.

With the fairly small amount of money that we will need to change (for a taxi and entry to Tjibaou centre) we will do it at the Purser's office. If we were buying something expensive we would use our credit card.:)

10 times in this hole, I have never exchanged, push come to to shove they take Aussie $ ... dont bother .. but do know the rate and take a calculator ( I never go away without one ) .

Hey tigerman couldnt have said it better myself. I have never changed any money for Noumea.There is nothing there that i want to spend any of my hard earned cash on.

Icy

not sure what ports you will be visiting but on our trips to fp it was our experience that US dollars were accepted everywhere so we used US currency

FP? If that is French Polynesia, as in Tahiti I guess that is true. Most of these ports are a long way east of there, and US dollars need converting the same as we need to convert our Aussie ones. Some Islands except AU, NZ and US, but others will only accept local currency.

When we hit Bora Bora last September all the ATMs were down and nobody could get money. If you went to the bank they were not very helpful and insisted you produce your original passport (colour copies were no good). In Papeete we had to search for a bank and it was also a difficult process with original passport required. My advice, do as I did and purchase some Francs before you leave home. I generally get at least $100AUD of each countries currency we are visiting and this has seen me through in the past.

When we hit Bora Bora last September all the ATMs were down and nobody could get money. If you went to the bank they were not very helpful and insisted you produce your original passport (colour copies were no good). In Papeete we had to search for a bank and it was also a difficult process with original passport required. My advice, do as I did and purchase some Francs before you leave home. I generally get at least $100AUD of each countries currency we are visiting and this has seen me through in the past.

Were the passengers on your cruise able to change currency at the Purser's Office?:)

Archived