Dining room seating requests

ehogan

One reason we like cruising with Carnival (at least we used to) is that they still have traditional dining; however, the last two cruises we had reserved at table for 8 or 10 and were assigned to a table for four. (which we really do not like).

Anyone else had this problem - is this becoming a trend for Carnival?

I think that in future, we will ask what our table configuration is before we approach the table and refuse it if it is not what we requested.

One reason we like cruising with Carnival (at least we used to) is that they still have traditional dining; however, the last two cruises we had reserved at table for 8 or 10 and were assigned to a table for four. (which we really do not like).

Anyone else had this problem - is this becoming a trend for Carnival?

I think that in future, we will ask what our table configuration is before we approach the table and refuse it if it is not what we requested.

Usually at 1:30 on the day of embarkation you can go to the dining room (you have to check which on if there are 2) and see where your table is. If you don't like it you can request a change at that time. There's no guarantee that the Maitre D' will change it, but it's better than waiting for dinner time.

I assume you mean as an opportunity to meet other folks?

The new trend is toward more and larger groups that want to sit together, and there really is only a limited number of large tables.

I am the opposite. I really want a table just for my cabin of two or three.

I work in fine dining and make small talk for a living. LOL...

Also my better half works in healthcare and is introverted on vacation.

And really wants it just to be us.

I really wish I could request a table ahead of time. I am always one of the first in line to get that small table, often the location is not the best but I do not care if I get my small table... I then tip the M.D. at the end of the cruise..

Tom in Long Beach

I am the opposite. I really want a table just for my cabin of two or three.

I work in fine dining and make small talk for a living. LOL...

Also my better half works in healthcare and is introverted on vacation.

And really wants it just to be us.

I really wish I could request a table ahead of time. I am always one of the first in line to get that small table, often the location is not the best but I do not care if I get my small table... I then tip the M.D. at the end of the cruise..

Tom in Long Beach

Same for us,my wife is the head RN on her shift and she gets home usually after midnight,too tired to talk, and on her days off she is either sleeping or out shopping.

Is there any method on how they assign table mates at a larger table? My parents, husband and myself are cruising and requested a table of 8. Does Carnival try to assign people of similar ages to the table or is everything just random?

Is there any method on how they assign table mates at a larger table? My parents, husband and myself are cruising and requested a table of 8. Does Carnival try to assign people of similar ages to the table or is everything just random?

They try to match alike parties as best they can. Couples with couples, singles with singles, families with families etc.

I have no problem meeting people and we're very social but for a nice dinner every night I'd like it to just be my party of 3. How readily is getting just a table for the 3 of us? I know if we get something bigger, we'll ask the M'D for a single table once we get on the ship if possible. But I want to see the odds of already having a sigle table with just us.

I'm in a similar quandry. I'd love to be at a smaller table with just DP. Last time, the MD tried to play matchmaker and sat us at a table with three sets of single people, hoping to pair us up with some men, I suppose (we're both women). It was awkward to say the least.

You cannot "reserve" a table with Carnival. Carnival does not even guarantee your dining time, much less table. You are assigned a table.

If you do not care for the dining assignment, you may speak with the Maitre D shortly after embarkation and see if he can move you. However, there is no guarantee that he can accomodate your request. Please keep in mind that there are usually about 2500 - 3000 passengers on any given cruise, and the Maitre D tries to accomodate ALL the requests as best as he can.

Refuse it if you wish. Refusing it will not get you another table, except on the Lido deck.

No where does Carnival promise to seat you at the table of your choice at the time of your choice. All dining is done on a request basis.

Best advice? Relax! You are on a cruise!

At my table, we had conversations going with about three other tables and helped a couple a bit further down take photos. (It was cute watching them take pictures of each other on formal night - so we offered to get a snapshot with both of them in it!)

Archived