Dress for dinner

alohaprincess

I am taking the

Diamond Princess to Hawaii in April. I like to get dressed up for dinner. Do cruisers generally get very dressed up on this trip?

When we go to the tropics/caribbean I like to take more silk or light weight clothes for some reason:) . Now that there is that extra charge for a second piece of luggage I think silk & polyester along with Chico's travel wear will be the way to go. I also take only black bottoms (pants, shorts, capris) white bottome (same as before) and tops that will match those colors. Sure helps on cutting down on extras. I am going to take only one bag next cruise...I am only going to take one bag next cruise...Well you get where I am going...;)

Jan

I am taking the Diamond Princess to Hawaii in April. I like to get dressed up for dinner. Do cruisers generally get very dressed up on this trip?
Yes; passengers dress up as much on the HI cruises as elsewhere. However, you'll see a whole lot more Hawaiian shirts on non-formal nights going back to LA than to HI. :)

We were on the Diamond cruise to Hawaii in December over the holidays and people really dressed up. I don't know if was just because it was the holidays, but I saw more tuxes and long gowns on this cruise than any of our past cruises. I do think even on a non-holiday sailing this seems like a cruise where people really do observe the formal evenings.

I bought along my tux and DW brought 3 formal dresses for the formal nights when we were on the DP over Christmas & New Years. We feel that dressing for dinner is part of the traditon and magic of cruising and look forward to it.

We just disembarked the Diamond 8 days ago. (Boo Hoo!)

Formal nights were quite dressy for the majority of the passengers. Lots of Tuxes, at least one guy in a kilt, many in suits. The ladies wore evening gowns, cocktail dresses, flowing pants and fancy tops. Saw a few in nice, but not cocktail-type, dresses. Overall, I think it's a very "dressy" cruise on formal nights.

Formal nights make Princess special to us. Love them.

Thanks so much for your info on evening attire. I love to dress up and have always done that on other cruises. This is my first Princess cruise, but with all the comments I have received here, I am definitely packing my formal dresses. I always think that dressing up makes any event more memorable and am glad to hear that this is the Princess tradition.

I always think that dressing up makes any event more memorable and am glad to hear that this is the Princess tradition.

Another Princess tradition is for the ship's photographers to set up at various spots and take formal pictures which you can buy (if you wish) a day or two later for about $25 each.

I used to take a dark suit for formal nights. The last cruise we were on I rented a tux and just took summer things. Best thing I ever did. Less packing, less clothes to take along. My wife takes pants suits (a couple of pairs) for formal night. I recommend pants suits for the women and the guys to rent a tux for about $80-$90. We had a ball, and, we were formal.

Archived