Ties and short sleaved shirts

Hubby was an Air Force Officer for many years.

Winter uniform - Long sleeved shirt, tie, trousers and jumper (sweater).

Summer uniform - sort sleeved shirt, top button open, trousers and stable belt.

Flying uniform - tight green flying suit (made his bum look lovely):D :D

So, no tie with a short sleeve shirt please, unless you want to look like a geek.

Hubby was an Air Force Officer for many years.

Winter uniform - Long sleeved shirt, tie, trousers and jumper (sweater).

Summer uniform - sort sleeved shirt, top button open, trousers and stable belt.

Flying uniform - tight green flying suit (made his bum look lovely):D :D

So, no tie with a short sleeve shirt please, unless you want to look like a geek.

LOL!

I tried finding pics online of a guy with this get up that doesn't look like a nerd. I searched "short sleeves with tie" and this is what I come up with. They all look clean and groomed, doesn't take the nerd factor away tho', does it?? (sorry for all the links, I am clueless about posting actual images. Maybe I need a computer nerd to help me? LOL)

I have nothing against nerds, have a lot of nerd friends etc, but if you don't want to look like one or have your hub/son whatever look like one, then this is not the look you want to go for :)

http://www.mid.muohio.edu/computer/images/geek2.jpg

http://www.bearfamilygifts.com/bear/computer-geek-bear-large.jpg

http://i.fosfor.se/i07/071004_5.jpg

http://www.costumersnetwork.com/prodimages/FW90159.jpg

Curt, what in the heck are you talking about boy???

Get back to your regular office so you can post pics please. I have a good hunch that what you have in mind has nothing in common with what OP is talking about. And I think you might have gone mad.

:confused:

Geez...I was thinking the same thing. I didn't think the OP was talking about looking like the rad geek dummer in a rock band....but whatever.

My husband' date=' two adult sons and myself have been having a discussion on whether a tie could or should be worn with a short sleave shirt. I have always been under the impression that this is a fashion no no. What do others think? (I am asking this for any social occasion not just while cruising)[/quote']

IMO, I think it's a huge, big, fat, NO! I think they look ugly paired together and they remind me of a salesman or something.

Does that office environment look like it would even require a tie??:p Of course not but there are many offices nationwide which require their employees to wear ties and I can see why a guy wouldn't want to wear a long sleeve shirt in those situations especially in a warm climate. Formal wear or dress up is different.

Hey all...

You know I had to jump in here (those that know me know that I'm not at my home or office this week - on work location), so I don't have access to my array of picture backup support here...

But, the Original Poster's question is "whether a tie COULD or should be worn with a short sleeve shirt" "for any social occasion not just while cruising".

So where any dress shirt, or formal discussion came in I don't know.

For the original question, yes there are absolutely certain ways and certain styles that this can be done and appropriate.

(At least Desperate Heather jumped in with the ability to "funk it up" comment).

That being said, if you are just pairing a normal short sleeve dress shirt with a normal tie, might not work.

But, there are several ways, and established iconic styles of dressing where this works...

(New Wave, Ska, English Chav, Geek Chic, etc.)

It all depends on two things...

#1 Are you making a choice, and purposely owning this style or look (making sure to other people looking at you that - yes, I fully intended to do this, and am making a statement).

#2 It is your own iconic look or statement, that somehow "works" for you personally.

So, yes, this can work, if the man wearing it, is doing it on purpose and with knowledge.

It doesn't neccessarily work, if they are wearing it with no clue whatsoever...

You'll know it when you see it...

Trust.

I appreciate where you're trying to go with this because I know you've got some style going on yourself, but I'm not buying it. It would be one thing if the person wearing the aforementioned short sleeve shirt and tie had some kind of talent that would allow us to overlook the fashion statement or accept that it is his quirky "style" (a la Buddy Holly), but just your average Joe Shmoe in a short sleeve shirt and tie will never look like he was dressing like that on purpose and will always be looked upon as someone with the fashion sense of Milton. And when I say Milton, I mean Milton from Office Space (see MsDee23's post), not the author of Paradise Lost. That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth. :)

Does that office environment look like it would even require a tie??:p

Well, to be honest, Milton used to sit upstairs next to a window where he could see the squirrels but they moved him 4 times in one year (4 times!!!) and he finally ended up down in Storage B which is where the picture is taken that MsDee23 posted. BUT, even when Milton was upstairs he dressed like that...even on Hawaiian Shirt Day. :)

Well, It could work if the short sleeves and tie were accompanied by a sweater vest. I'm not being sarcastic, I had a hunky HS teacher who wore that combo and it was a lot hotter than just the shirt and tie.

If it were under a jacket, go for it, nobody will know anyway!!!!

For most social occasions a man could wear a short sleeve with a blazer and no tie, or a t-shirt under a blazer. For a formal night on the cruise make sure that there is a jacket involved (it's chilly in the dining room anyway) or that there is no tie.

Well, to be honest, Milton used to sit upstairs next to a window where he could see the squirrels but they moved him 4 times in one year (4 times!!!) and he finally ended up down in Storage B which is where the picture is taken that MsDee23 posted. BUT, even when Milton was upstairs he dressed like that...even on Hawaiian Shirt Day. :)

LOL To be fair, the short sleeve & tie look was worn by more than just Milton. (though the thread did remind me of him since that was all he wore)

Stripes

http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/1519/890/lo/co4.jpg

With suspenders

http://cache.valleywag.com/assets/resources/2007/08/bobs.jpg

LOL To be fair, the short sleeve & tie look was worn by more than just Milton. (though the thread did remind me of him since that was all he wore)

Stripes

http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/1519/890/lo/co4.jpg

With suspenders

http://cache.valleywag.com/assets/resources/2007/08/bobs.jpg

Ahhhh...yes...Michael Bolton and the Bobs. I'll tell you...if seeing THAT movie doesn't make you swear off the short sleeve and tie look, nothing will !! :D

A tie is a dressy garment. A short sleeve shirt is a casual garment. When dressy and casual garments are mixed they create a discordant appearance. Since harmony is the key to a stylish ensemble, the mixing of clashing formalities (or colours) is commonly associated with men that are lacking in style e.g. "nerds" and "geeks".

Short sleeves - and short pants - are something that are forced on the wearer by circumstances of climate. While the right colour, material and detailing can help make them very conservative they will never be able to substitute for proper dress shirts - and trousers - due to the amount of skin that they expose.

The same rule applies to short sleeves and jackets. In a casual setting you can get away with a golf shirt and a sports jacket but the exposed forearms resulting from extending one's hands make it impossible for this combination to be anything more than casual, even if a man upgraded to a short sleeve dress shirt and a dressy blazer.

And while we're on the topic, a man should avoid wearing a tie without a jacket unless he is working the counter at Hertz Rent-A-Car. If he wants something just a little less formal than a standard suit and tie he should skip the tie instead. A matching jacket and trousers creates uses a single colour (and pattern) to link the two halves of the body into one coherent whole with a little splash of white (or a complementary colour) being added by the shirt. Conversely, dressing like a rental clerk route divides the body into two halves by dressing the legs in one colour & pattern, the upper torso in another and then throwing in a necktie as a distracting focal point to boot.

A tie is a dressy garment. A short sleeve shirt is a casual garment. When dressy and casual garments are mixed they create a discordant appearance. Since harmony is the key to a stylish ensemble, the mixing of clashing formalities (or colours) is commonly associated with men that are lacking in style e.g. "nerds" and "geeks".

Short sleeves - and short pants - are something that are forced on the wearer by circumstances of climate. While the right colour, material and detailing can help make them very conservative they will never be able to substitute for proper dress shirts - and trousers - due to the amount of skin that they expose.

The same rule applies to short sleeves and jackets. In a casual setting you can get away with a golf shirt and a sports jacket but the exposed forearms resulting from extending one's hands make it impossible for this combination to be anything more than casual, even if a man upgraded to a short sleeve dress shirt and a dressy blazer.

And while we're on the topic, a man should avoid wearing a tie without a jacket unless he is working the counter at Hertz Rent-A-Car. If he wants something just a little less formal than a standard suit and tie he should skip the tie instead. A matching jacket and trousers creates uses a single colour (and pattern) to link the two halves of the body into one coherent whole with a little splash of white (or a complementary colour) being added by the shirt. Conversely, dressing like a rental clerk route divides the body into two halves by dressing the legs in one colour & pattern, the upper torso in another and then throwing in a necktie as a distracting focal point to boot.

meaty my man, I think I just fell in love with you :o

If it were under a jacket, go for it, nobody will know anyway!!!!

Oh course they would! The cuff of a man's shirt should be seen peeking out from the sleeve of the jacket by about a half inch to an inch.

For most social occasions a man could wear a short sleeve with a blazer and no tie, or a t-shirt under a blazer.

That would be a "country club casual" look and can also be worn with an elegant (ie. high end soft cotton or cashmere) "golf" shirt and a casual blazer. But certainly not with a traditional dressy suit jacket, ie typical grey pinstripe.

I appreciate where you're trying to go with this because I know you've got some style going on yourself, but I'm not buying it. It would be one thing if the person wearing the aforementioned short sleeve shirt and tie had some kind of talent that would allow us to overlook the fashion statement or accept that it is his quirky "style" (a la Buddy Holly), but just your average Joe Shmoe in a short sleeve shirt and tie will never look like he was dressing like that on purpose and will always be looked upon as someone with the fashion sense of Milton. And when I say Milton, I mean Milton from Office Space (see MsDee23's post), not the author of Paradise Lost. That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth. :)

Awww!

Thank you, I'm taking that as a big compliment...:D

And (still on work location until next week) if you all read back, I'm not disagreeing at all with Joe Schmoe, and the Office Space/Milton comments.

If the OP had said anything about that, or dress shirts specifically...

But, for sake of fashion, again the original question is COULD a short sleeve shirt be worn with a tie in any social situation?

So, I must stand by my knowledge, experience, and style, and say that Yes, it can, sometimes...

You all will just have to be patient, and I will show you some examples where the original question does have a yes answer...:p

Curt, what in the heck are you talking about boy???

Get back to your regular office so you can post pics please. I have a good hunch that what you have in mind has nothing in common with what OP is talking about. And I think you might have gone mad.

:confused:

Yeah, mad skillz with my fashion sense!

:p

And, patience lovely woman.

I see your game.

I know that you just want me to get together some more pictures of me, Respol, Sparty - and throw in a David Beckham and Johnny Depp - modeling a way to make it look good!;)

You just want us to do walkoffs for everything now!:D

Yeah, mad skillz with my fashion sense!

:p

And, patience lovely woman.

I see your game.

I know that you just want me to get together some more pictures of me, Respol, Sparty - and throw in a David Beckham and Johnny Depp - modeling a way to make it look good!;)

You just want us to do walkoffs for everything now!:D

:o You know me too well.

No doubts here about your mad skillage.

Will patiently await more pics :)

Curt-I've tried to find the pics you posted before, but I haven't found them yet. But in all fairness, you are among a small portion of men who can carry the look off without the dorkiness most think of when thinking of the short sleeve/tie combo. In fact, I seem to remember a quite fashion-forward, confident Curt in quite a pose. Maybe you and Respol and Sparty can do a fashion show of do's for the men.

Frequently, men who wear short sleeve shirts with a tie will say it's a matter of comfort.

In fact, a 100% cotton shirt (that fits properly) will feel cool and comfortable in the hottest weather. I wear a suit (or sport jacket), long-sleeve shirt and tie every day I work and I'm always comfortable.

Suggestion: Jos. A. Bank (disclaimer here: I work for Jos. A. Bank) has a line of Stays Cool Dress Shirts that are 100% cotton and they are machine wash, machine dry and wrinkle free.

Archived