Ties and short sleaved shirts

My husband, two adult sons and myself have been having a discussion on whether a tie could or should be worn with a short sleave shirt. I have always been under the impression that this is a fashion no no. What do others think? (I am asking this for any social occasion not just while cruising)

I've always been taught it was a fashion no-no too. It's just not attractive IMO. The only times I've seen it is when the guy also has a pocket protector and tape on his glasses! :p

Before my dad was retired he'd sneak short sleeved dress shirts under his suitcoats to try to stay cooler. No one knew but us when he got home.

Gee thanks, ladies.

That's what my son wears (and will be wearing) and I think he looks handsome. ;)

Sorry, she asked what we thought!

I'm glad you think your son looks handsome, every mom should :) Can you post a pic of him in the short sleeve shirt with tie, maybe we'll change our minds? Every time I've ever seen a guy in that he's looked something like this: http://800lbgorilla.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/026_lucky_nerd.jpg

From a guy perspective, the last time I did the tie with short-sleeve combo was when I was 15 years old in high school (we had to wear shirt & ties as part of our uniform). Needless to say, I was a teenager at that time.

18 years later, you'll only catch me with long-sleeve shirts any time I have to wear a tie. It is totally acceptable though to roll up your cuffs a couple of times if you get a bit warm (although cuffs should always be buttoned when being worn under a jacket).

I'm not capable of posting a picture yet. Just started practicing with my first digital camera this weekend.

And no, my son doesn't look anything like the nerd in the picture. He's quite good looking. His pants aren't pulled up like Steve Urkel and he doesn't wear glasses with tape. :rolleyes:

I'm not capable of posting a picture yet. Just started practicing with my first digital camera this weekend.

And no, my son doesn't look anything like the nerd in the picture. He's quite good looking. His pants aren't pulled up like Steve Urkel and he doesn't wear glasses with tape. :rolleyes:

Practice up with that cam, I want you to change my mind about it :)

Sorry, she asked what we thought!

I'm glad you think your son looks handsome, every mom should :) Can you post a pic of him in the short sleeve shirt with tie, maybe we'll change our minds? Every time I've ever seen a guy in that he's looked something like this: http://800lbgorilla.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/026_lucky_nerd.jpg

Or perhaps like me at Halloween last year...I dressed up as a programmer...really bugged the nerds I work with! LOL

1044471376_ComputerNerd.jpg.1f6a756abfa17a3aa638b3407b51a153.jpg

I fail to see what's so taboo or strange looking about a short sleeve shirt with a tie, particularly in hot weather.

This is a fashion board. Sorry if you don't see it, but it's just not fashionable or attractive in general for this to be worn. Sorry if you don't like that answer. I wish you'd post a pic of your son so you can change my mind. I just have never seen that look come across as attractive or fashionable in any way. JMO :)

NICE! Can I have permission to borrow your idea next H'ween???

LOL...feel free. I purchased all of my quality apparel at Goodwill. One of the fine points of the costume is hard to see. I found pictures of Capt. Kirk AND Capt. Picard and printed them out and put them in large lapel pins...I'm wearing one and I've got one on my bag. :)

LOL...feel free. I purchased all of my quality apparel at Goodwill. One of the fine points of the costume is hard to see. I found pictures of Capt. Kirk AND Capt. Picard and printed them out and put them in large lapel pins...I'm wearing one and I've got one on my bag. :)

NICE! Love it. Maybe I'll get hub to dress that way too and we can be a nerd couple off to a trekkie convention! LOL! Thanks!

I fail to see what's so taboo or strange looking about a short sleeve shirt with a tie, particularly in hot weather.

It's just not how a shirt & tie is to be properly worn. In a formal environment, shirts are always long-sleeve in length.

In hot weather, you get around it by wearing a linen, seer-sucker, or similar light weight suit. But underneath that a man should always still wear a long-sleeved shirt.

My opinion is absolutely NO. He'll look like a vacuum cleaner salesman.

This is from Mens Style.com.

Q: Is it a fashion no-no to wear a tie with a short-sleeve dress shirt?

A: There is no such thing as a short-sleeve dress shirt. There is a precedent, however, for wearing a tie with a short-sleeve shirt—that’s the old NASA-control-room look. It goes best with thin black pants, a crew cut, a pencil pack, and a shout of “Go, baby! Go!”ecedent, however, for wearing a tie with a short-sleeve shirt—that’s the old NASA-control-room look. It goes best with thin black pants, a crew cut, a pencil pack, and a shout of “Go, baby! Go!”

This from another men's wear site.

Question: Is it OK to wear a short sleeve shirt with a tie?

Answer:

No, it’s not at all OK to wear a short sleeve shirt with a tie. Short sleeved shirts may look like dress shirts but they can’t be considered dress shirts. Short sleeve shirts are casual shirts no matter how they look, and they should be treated that way.

If they're not dress shirts, why are they so stiff? :D

I just told my son what y'all said. He waved me off and said, "We're not buying a long sleeve shirt." I would have bought him one but he hates long sleeves. He doesn't even wear them in the winter no matter how cold it is.

Archived