Ties and short sleaved shirts

Frequently, men who wear short sleeve shirts with a tie will say it's a matter of comfort.

In fact, a 100% cotton shirt (that fits properly) will feel cool and comfortable in the hottest weather. I wear a suit (or sport jacket), long-sleeve shirt and tie every day I work and I'm always comfortable.

Suggestion: Jos. A. Bank (disclaimer here: I work for Jos. A. Bank) has a line of Stays Cool Dress Shirts that are 100% cotton and they are machine wash, machine dry and wrinkle free.

Hey Lel5344--

Hub hardly ever has to wear dress shirts as his work place is casual dress but the 5-6 dress shirts he does have are all JB. BUT when we were there they only had the cool version in short sleeve, not long sleeve. Maybe they have LS online?

Hey Lel5344--

Hub hardly ever has to wear dress shirts as his work place is casual dress but the 5-6 dress shirts he does have are all JB. BUT when we were there they only had the cool version in short sleeve, not long sleeve. Maybe they have LS online?

Jane,

We have a great selection of long-sleeved Stays Cool Dress Shirts! Thanks for asking!

attachment.php?attachmentid=59621&d=1192171263

Second photo from the left is one I was looking for of CJW in a short sleeved shirt and tie and NOT DORKY! Still looking for another..... Note, still not an option for formal night, and CJW would never say it was.

Yay, Carmen found it! Forgive the next obvious statements...sometimes what seems completely obvious to me needs to be spelled out for others...

The difference is Curt is obviously going for "geek chic" here. Totally cool. Oversized dark shirt, untucked, collar open, loose tie, totally cool, fits his attitude and personality. Love this look on Curt!

However, I am pretty darn sure that OP and a few other's hubs and sons short sleeve with tie looks are trying to be much more formal than this, and they are fo' sho' ending up with the not chic geek/nerd look.

BUT, ladies, if you are happy with the look, then be proud of your men and don't try to convince anyone that they look good in their short sleeves and ties. Just be happy with them and enjoy them ;)

Two shirts are *only* $125.00. What a steal! :rolleyes:

Sorry, we have a zero-tolerance policy about stealing. However, when you consider our shirts don't have to be sent out to the dry cleaners and never need ironing and hold up for a long, long time - well then, I think they are a bargain! But value is always a matter of personal perception, isn't it?

However, I am pretty darn sure that OP and a few other's hubs and sons short sleeve with tie looks are trying to be much more formal than this, and they are fo' sho' ending up with the not chic geek/nerd look.

I agree. The fact that there are so many criteria required to pull off this very specific exception only goes to prove the general rule: short sleeve shirts should not be worn with ties.

Jane,

We have a great selection of long-sleeved Stays Cool Dress Shirts! Thanks for asking!

But they aren't available in my local JB store here in New England, only the more casual plaid short sleeved were marked as "Stay Cool." Maybe I need to look at the online store for the long sleeve dress version???

I agree. The fact that there are so many criteria required to pull off this very specific exception only goes to prove the general rule: short sleeve shirts should not be worn with ties.

See meaty, you so "get" me. Its destiny... :p

I guess I'm out of the loop here! What's wrong with a short sleeved dress shirt with a tie??? DH switches to these with his jacket every hot summer and when working in the heat in the tropics most professional men wear them too.

I especially like them if the wearer has nice strong exposed arms!!:D

Hmmm.... not in all the hot tropics :) . Here in Puerto Rico that is not an acceptable look at all. Grocery store clerks or pilots like someone else said... but I don't know of any office or professional setting where that would be a good look.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59621&d=1192171263

Second photo from the left is one I was looking for of CJW in a short sleeved shirt and tie and NOT DORKY! Still looking for another..... Note, still not an option for formal night, and CJW would never say it was.

With all due respect to you and Curt, I'm sorry to say that all of the dudes in these pics do, in fact, look extremely dorky in my humble opinion (except for maybe the guy with the sunglasses in the bottom right photo). And, Curt, I'm afraid unless I'm presented with any evidence to the contrary, I will have to repeal my previous assumption that you are a man with fashion savvy. ;)

Well, maybe its a Canadian thing eh, but I probably sell a couple of hundred short sleeve shirt and tie sets every summer. They are identical to the long sleeve ones (NO button down collars) and come in a wide variety of solid colors. So there is definitely a market for them.

DH will be wearing one under a jacket to some non-formal dinners, as he does have a tux for formal nights. Bring on the fashion police lol!:p

With all due respect to you and Curt, I'm sorry to say that all of the dudes in these pics do, in fact, look extremely dorky in my humble opinion (except for maybe the guy with the sunglasses in the bottom right photo). And, Curt, I'm afraid unless I'm presented with any evidence to the contrary, I will have to repeal my previous assumption that you are a man with fashion savvy. ;)

Ruh Roh!!

It's ok Curt, not everyone can be a fan. You have enough fans within your "harem."

I still say Curt ROCKS that s/s and tie combo, geek chic suits you well!

Ruh Roh!!

It's ok Curt, not everyone can be a fan. You have enough fans within your "harem."

I still say Curt ROCKS that s/s and tie combo, geek chic suits you well!

I WILL say that Curt looks kind of cute in spite of the outfit...I like the shorts...dig the Chucks...just am not a fan of the shirt/tie thing. :o

I'm sure we'd make quite the pair. :) (Trio, if you include your cute little dog.)

The dog is definitely part of the package.

BUT, alas, you and I are already married to other people so we'll have to just go on wondering what could have been... ;)

But they aren't available in my local JB store here in New England, only the more casual plaid short sleeved were marked as "Stay Cool." Maybe I need to look at the online store for the long sleeve dress version???

You can certainly buy them online at http://www.josbank.com. However, I recommend that you actually go in to your local store again. The Stays Cool Long-Sleeved Dress Shirts should be on a display all by themselves. Our store in Evanston, IL has about 12 different varieties on display. The store can also order them for you, and make sure your order is processed in the most expeditious fashion. And realistically, we are on commission. Your price in the store will always be at least as good as the internet price, you'll get great customer service and personal attention...and you get to look around at all the wonderful items we offer...

Archived