Airfare from Ohio to Miami

jsy

Hello fellow cruisers,

Going on the Valor Feb. 27. Been checking airfare and found $233 roundtrip on American Airlines. I have until 11:00 tonight to decide, last two seats left at this price. Then goes up to $278. It's a gamble. One problem is that it doesn't leave Miami after the cruise until 5:50pm. Any suggestions what to do with our luggage so we can enjoy the area around the pier and not have sit at the airport for many hours? Love this board.

Hello fellow cruisers,

Going on the Valor Feb. 27. Been checking airfare and found $233 roundtrip on American Airlines. I have until 11:00 tonight to decide, last two seats left at this price. Then goes up to $278. It's a gamble.

Then what's the issue? It could go back down or it could go back up and stay.

Liv, I think it's the flight back time. They're not sure what they can do after the cruise til they leave. I'd rent a car and see Southbeach and have lunch at Cheesecake Factory. But I've been before.

Jsy, unless you think this is the best you can get, I'd wait. You've still got 5 months. It's likely you'll find something cheaper. I paid $231 on American for Ohio to San Juan in June. Our cruise was beginning of Sept. HTH

Liv, I think it's the flight back time. They're not sure what they can do after the cruise til they leave. I'd rent a car and see Southbeach and have lunch at Cheesecake Factory. But I've been before.

The last part was added after I posted. (Seeing Miami)

If the price of the tickets are in the area that you were looking for then buy. You're right,,it is a gamble. The price for air could drop further, but then again, the price could go up.

As far as luggage goes.....

Carnival has excellent post cruise excursions for people just like you. You put your luggage on a bus (CLEARLY MARK IT AND KNOW WHERE ITS AT) and off you go on the excursion. (They do a South Beach tour, or a City tour, or an Everglades tour I think) Then they drop you off at the airport.

These tours are for people catching flights after 3pm.

This happened to us before. The airport will store your luggage for you. I think we paid around $20 for them to keep it 6 hours. At the airport there was a sheet showing "things to do". There was an entire page. It was listed like "if you have 2 hours" then, listed your option, 4 hours, more options, etc. We took a bus or a dollar or something, to Bayside Marketplace. We shopped and ate. We ended up taking a cab back so we would be sure to be on time. It was a nice afternoon.www.baysidemarketplace.com

I am also searching for air and sailing on Valor, two weeks earlier though. If those are those direct flights, I'd jump on it! It will be nice to be a your destination in 2 hours, rather than 5+ with layovers. May I ask where you found that rate? Are you flying out of CMH? We are checking CMH and PIT.

Thanks!

Wow, thanks so much for all your great suggestions. I knew I could count on this board. Everyone is great! :D We will be staying in a hotel across the street from Bayside the day before our cruise , but not after. Now that I have an idea what to do during those hours before our flight home, I'll book this flight. I'm in no hurry to get back to Ohio after the cruise anyway. A few extra hours in Miami will be nice.

Have you priced a flight into Fort Lauderdale (FLL) we saved over 100 pp for flights to FLL and our cruise was in Miami.
Oh yes, I have tried everything. The lowest price to FLL is $273 with one stop. Most flights to FLL have a least one stop. On American, I can get a non-stop flight to Miami for the $233 fare. Continental is $299.

I was having trouble getting a good price with a return flight after noon to give us time to get to the airport from the port. Most flights back to Ohio are in the morning or around 4:30pm. If earlier, the price goes up. The way airfares go up and down, who knows what to do. Also, both airlines said it could go up more due to Presidents Day the week before our cruise and then Spring Break after. Thanks for your concern.

Hey, if you all are leaving from CMH check out Rickenbacker and some of the small airlines that go out of there. Hooters is one of them, I think. They sometimes have much better rates.

Trips out of Dayton can sometimes save a lot of money also. There is the drive, but if the savings is enough it can be worth it.

I have also heard that flights out of Akron are sometimes cheaper. Never tried, and a lot farther from CMH, but FYI might be worth checking.

Just back and it was cheaper to fly into FLL than Miami from Cleveland and it was a direct flight on Continental. Left at 9:30 on a Friday morning and had a 1:15 flight back on Sat. I booked 5 months out and 2 months b/4 we cruised it went way down. It is a gamble, but I think I'd wait. Miami was 40.00 mote per ticket.

ive been finding some killer prices from OH to florida......we just booked round trip delta direct flights from cincinnati to miami for only $123 pp.....which is like unreal rates for out of cincinnati airport......its no wonder why Delta and the rest of the carriers are in such dire shape.....rising oil eating at them and yet they still have to sell such cheap seats......trying to avoid flying on the weekends always allows for cheaper rates....as well as buying within a certain time frame.....we generally find the best deals between 1 month and 3 months out from our travel dates:)

This happened to us before. The airport will store your luggage for you. I think we paid around $20 for them to keep it 6 hours. At the airport there was a sheet showing "things to do". There was an entire page. It was listed like "if you have 2 hours" then, listed your option, 4 hours, more options, etc. We took a bus or a dollar or something, to Bayside Marketplace. We shopped and ate. We ended up taking a cab back so we would be sure to be on time. It was a nice afternoon.www.baysidemarketplace.com

I am also searching for air and sailing on Valor, two weeks earlier though. If those are those direct flights, I'd jump on it! It will be nice to be a your destination in 2 hours, rather than 5+ with layovers. May I ask where you found that rate? Are you flying out of CMH? We are checking CMH and PIT.

Thanks!

No, we're flying out of Cleveland. Columbus is a 2 hr. drive and PIT is even farther. Yes, they are direct flights. (I always check out Akron-Canton and the prices are always outrageous. Plus, no direct flights.)

Orbitz will send you an e-mail when flights are offered at a price you request for certain dates. So I got an e-mail showing this price of $233 and American was the only airline that offered it. The next price was Continental at $299. We are returning on a Sunday and the prices are usually higher, so $233 was a good price. I went into American Airlines sight and booked from there. I put a hold on my ticket and was going to book my friend's too. OH NO, came back at $278. I had held the last seat at that price. So the next morning, I tried it again, and someone must have cancelled a seat. So I grabbed it. Booked online because there's a $5 charge to book over the phone with American. I flew into FLL on our cruise this past February and we paid $248. These flights were during the week, so I think $233 was a good deal for a direct flight to Miami for those dates, especially returning on a Sunday.

Staylor. Booked direct thru Continental and it was cheaper than any other web site. Decided to Fly into FLL not only because it was cheaper than Miami, but FLL is a MUCH MUCH smaller airport. Easier to get luggage etc, etc. With transportation to Miami it came out about the same. Convienences of the smaller airport IMHO was well worth it. You never know with airlines and pricing but I checked for months and it was always cheaper booking directly with airline web sites. Stayed at Radisson by port of Miami. Got on Priceline for 40.00. Hotels are always cheaper thru priceline.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping you would come back! Looks like I need to get hooked up with Orbitz.;)

Thanks again and enjoy the Valor! I am looking forward to reading the boards in December/January when the first reviews start coming in. I think it will be an awesome cruise!:)

Thanks for the info. I was hoping you would come back! Looks like I need to get hooked up with Orbitz.;)

Thanks again and enjoy the Valor! I am looking forward to reading the boards in December/January when the first reviews start coming in. I think it will be an awesome cruise!:)

You're welcome. This is only my second cruise. My brother (sister-in-law) and I took our 86 year young Mom on her first cruise on the Legend in February. This was a Christmas gift from us. Mom and I had an OV guarantee and was upgraded to 8I with a super extended balcony. What a surprise. And we were near the elevator so that was good for Mom. She loved the cruise. Now I'm booked on the Valor with my best friend (since 8th grade...we graduated in 1966) You can do the math! This will be her first cruise. Leaving our husbands at home. Not counting on a big upgrade this time. It sure spoiled me though.

Yes, will be fun reading the reviews on the Valor. Good luck finding a flight.

Be sure to join Orbitz. It's nice having them look for flights at a good price.

Can't wait to read your review when you get back in February.

Archived