Should I bring my digital camera on Shore Excursions

Hi, I am very new to cruising and I wanted to know if it is a good idea to bring your digital camera on your shore excursion's? I Know I can get those cheap disposible camera's but my camera takes such beautiful pictures! I am doing a Western Caribbean sailing and I am going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Haiti, and MoBay Jamaica....

Hi, I am very new to cruising and I wanted to know if it is a good idea to bring your digital camera on your shore excursion's? I Know I can get those cheap disposible camera's but my camera takes such beautiful pictures! I am doing a Western Caribbean sailing and I am going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Haiti, and MoBay Jamaica....

I always bring mine. Just be extra careful at beaches or water sports. I have used disposable underwater cameras, but like the quality and ease of saving the digitals. :)

I haven't been on my first cruise yet (Alaska coming up in July!), but I *always* take a digital camera with me everywhere on vacation . . . beach, river, whatever. If your camera is a point-and-shoot and you're worried about water, sand, etc, you might consider a waterproof case for it.

My main camera is a digital SLR, but I have a small Canon Digital Elph point-and-shoot as a secondary/back-up camera. I found a case made by Canon specifically for for my Digital Elph at B&H Photo online (www.bhphotovideo.com). It allows me to use all of the buttons, menu options and other features without worrying about the weather, water or other elements. The case was about $100 dollars, but when you add up the cost of the disposable waterproof cameras, the case has more than paid for itself by now. The pics aren't as good as my digital SLR, but they are *much* better than the disposable cameras I'd be using in places where I can't or wouldn't take the SLR! Perhaps this option would work for you.

Hope this helps.

Deborah

I can't think of a good reason to leave your camera on the ship. If you're worried about loss or theft, get a "personal articles policy" from your home insurance company. I insured $1500 of camera gear for like $50 a year.

If you buy trip trip insurance, it may be covered by that. I dropped and destroyed my point and shoot digital on a zip-line in Belize. It was covered by my trip insurance under a section called baggage. Baggage is your personal property, not your luggage. If something should happen to the camera, report it to someone, anyone and get written documentation that it was damaged on your trip.

If it's a very expensive camera, I probably wouldn't, but would get a less expensive camera to take along on excursions. You can get a decent digital camera for $150 or less, these days. My other advice, if you're worried about taking it along, is to have multiple memory cards. Pop in an empty memory card before heading off on your excursion. Then you don't have to worry at all about losing any of the pictures you've taken earlier in the trip. Cameras are replaceable, as others have said, but the pictures are not.

You bet! With the huge capacity of the memory cards, you can shoot to your heart's content. Just make sure the battery is fully charged before you leave. One tour, mine died toward the end of the tour. Fortunately, didn't miss much.

Archived