Pyramids excursion

Mike,

I noticed that when you were on your Nile Cruise in 2005, you were there during Ramadan. We will be on our Nile cruise this September during Ramadan. Our tour leader who has been in Egypt during Ramadan, said that it is a special time to be there with all the celebrations, decorations and other holiday things going on. I realize that tour times will be limited some; but did you find it to be a major problem and were the Ramadan celebrations interesting?

Ramadan was an interesting time. We did not really see all that much in the way of decorations or celebrations. What was impressive was that when we visited the big bazaar Khan El Kahlili, there were a number of HUGE tents set up in the square. Our guide said that the rich men of Cairo take turns sponsoring them, and every night at sundown the poor people of the city are fed a big meal for free. Charity to the poor is one of the Five Pillars of Islam and this is one way they do it.

The only place it really affected us much was at the Egyptian Museum. Everything closes up about 3 PM so people can get home to break their fast. So we were a bit rushed getting out of the Museum. Tourist shops and attractions were open, though.

Our guide was observing the fast, which includes not drinking, and got a touch of heat stroke standing in the heat lecturing to us.

In Morocco, which we did right after Egypt, the only tour that was cut short was the mosque in Casablanca. For lunch that day, all the restaurants were closed, so we wound up at the Casablanca McDonald's!

I think you will find Ramadan interesting, and it will not seriously interfere with your trip. I do hope your guide will do as ours did, and take some opportunities to introduce you to some the wonderful teachings and moral values of Islam. I bought a beautiful papyrus copy of a verse from Al Bakkara, one of the most important surahs of the Koran, regarding forgiveness of sins.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I do hope your guide will do as ours did, and take some opportunities to introduce you to some the wonderful teachings and moral values of Islam.

Thanks for the info Mike. I hope our guide is as informative as yours about Islam; as well as Middle Eastern life style. It is something that I believe we need to learn about to appreciate the way people live and what concerns them. We are normally exposed to the negatives and I am looking forward to seeing the positive things in this area.

The Mena House is wonderful--the pyramids are literally right across the street. We didn't even get to stay in the palace section and still loved the hotel for it's view. We arrived at night and, much like another poster, didn't see the Great Pyramid at first. At dinner, we were sitting near a window and almost fell off the chair when we realized that looming presence outside was the pyramid!

The Mena House is wonderful--the pyramids are literally right across the street. We didn't even get to stay in the palace section and still loved the hotel for it's view. We arrived at night and, much like another poster, didn't see the Great Pyramid at first. At dinner, we were sitting near a window and almost fell off the chair when we realized that looming presence outside was the pyramid! That first magical view (it was our first night in Egypt) of the moonlit pyramid is one of the most enduring images from all my travels.

Archived