Dolphin Encounter vs Dolphin Swim

Krooze Family

Pardon me for being technical here, but what exactly is the difference? Does swim mean you get pulled through the water while hanging on to the Dolphin's fin? Dolphin encounter- - Does that mean you are not even in the water to touch the dolphin, but more like watching a dolphin show?

Also, does anyone know how much the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter in Nassau costs? Would love to have pictures of my kids kissing Dolphins but I don't know if that is even done during an "encounter" or if we could afford it.

Any insight is appreciated!

In Puerta Vallarta at the Dolphin Swim we got in the water with the dolphins, petted them and held on to their fins while they swam around the pool among other things. At the Dolphin Encounter, you just get into the water a bit and touch the Dolphins. Although it is much more expensive, the Dolphin Swim is well worth it.

Elise

Hi,

We did the Dolphin Swim In Tortola and it was alright. About 10-12 to a group and we proceeded to walk down into the lagoon on a platform. One by one we were instructed on what to do. basically you got to hold the Dolphins Fins, kiss it, and swim out to get a belly ride back in. Did I love the dolphins? Yes!! The price? NO WAY. Very overpriced and really thought we would be doing alot more. Had even e mailed the company directly for more info. The video,I believe was $50, and each picture was $12. I am a seriois Dolphin lover but felt the price was not worth it. Especially since they rushed us out and got back to the boat in about an 1 1/2. Hope this helped!!

In Cozumel, at Chakanaab Park, we did the dolphin swim. There were 6 of us in the group. We got down on a platform, and they swam by us and we got to pet them. Them came back, and you were to hold a pair of dorsal fins.. looked like you were dancing. There is a photo op where you kiss the dolphins. Then you swim out. Two dolphins came under your feet and pushed you right out of thewater; they pulled you thru the water on your belly while you held their fins; and then they swam around us while we were all in a circle and kind of "played" with us.

This, to me, was worth every cent I spent. How often do you get to do something like that? The photos and video were expensive. If you have someone in your party that is not swimming, get them to take photos.. but the video is worth it. I STILL watch it!

Hope you enjoy

Karen

When we were in Cozumel in January, 2 of us did the swim, and 2 of us did the encounter. kcslim's account of the swim is exactly what we experienced. During the encounter, you get on a platform in an enclosed area in about waist deep water. The dolphin floats by so you can touch it, and you do get a kissing picture taken. I'm not a big water person, so I didn't want to do the swim, but thoroughly enjoyed the encounter. I agree that you should have someone close by taking pictures. We have some great shots of both the encounter and swim that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Jana

If the Chakanuhah one your talking about we did that in January, and it was a horrible rip off. We did the Dolphin Swim, which si the more expensive one. Don't book it through the ship, and the Dolphin Encounter was just dumb. It was too crowded at least 100-150 people there. So don't do it. Do it yourself. Just letting you know. Try and do Xcaret swimming with the Dolphins if you have time, it is much better. XCaret is on Playa Del Carmen just in case you didnt know. It is great.

We have been on dozens of excursions and the dolphin "swim" was my favorite. We did it at Blue Lagoon in Nassau. It was just 3 of us in the water with a dolphin, McGuyver, for 45 minutes. We had kisses, high fives, we held little fish in out mouth (with the tail in our teeth) and the dolphin took them out. When we turned in circles, he turned in circles, we did the foot push....it was so AWESOME. It is one of the coolest things I have ever done. Just to touch one is amazing!

My husband got me a gold dolphin pendant and chain and every time I wear it I remember what a great day we had.

We also did the encounter one year, it was a waste of money, too many people. It seemed like they just wanted to take a picture of you with the dolphin so they could make more money. If I had done the "encounter" before the "swim" maybe I wouldn't feel that way. Anyway for me, the is NO comparison. Do the swim!!

We took part in the Dolphin SWIM in Blue Lagoon-Nassau, Bahamas. It was wonderful. We were actually in the water with the dolphins, and yes, the finale was getting pushed through the water by two dolphins, one at each of our feet. They literally pushed us out of the water and we were skimming the water :D

We did see the Dolphin ENCOUNTER from where we were. You sit on a platform with your feet dangling in the water. The dolphins come close to you and you can pet them.

Archived