The Celebration is almost over.

DarthGrady

The end of Celebration's career as a Fun Ship is drawing very near. I just checked Carnival's website, and there are no further bookings available. I'm kinda let down that I never got to sail on her.

I bet there are lots of people on CC who had their first cruise aboard her. I figured that it would be nice to have a thread for folks to share old (or even new) memories. It would be awesome to see some old photos too! I suppose that since I will never get to cruise on her, I might as well live vicariously through those who did!

From this website:

Carnival says that after many years of faithful service, its second oldest ship, the 1,486-passenger Celebration, finally is leaving the fleet, though it isn't going away completely.

It's new home: Spain. The 20-year-old vessel will join Madrid-based Iberocruceros, which is a joint venture Carnival has put together with a Spanish company to bring cruising to the Spanish-speaking masses.

So where does that leave the Holiday? It's been rumored for quite a while that she is going, but she keeps hanging in there. Is the Celebration going to the same Spanish company that the Holiday was going to?

Curiouser & curiouser...

My first cruise was on the Celebration in May of 2000. It was a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise from New Orleans. DH and I sailed with a group of friends - 8 of us total - and had an absolute blast. Before we sailed, DH was not too keen on the idea of cruising; he kept asking when we were going on that "d*mn boat ride!" I managed to drag him onboard, and he had the best time of our entire group. We had two days at sea before reaching our first port, and he took me for a walk on the second evening and told me that the ship was perfect. He had everything he needed on board, and didn't even want to stop at any ports.

One of the couples with us on that cruise eloped in Grand Cayman on Seven Mile Beach. After the ceremony, we got on the tender a few minutes before the bride and groom. When the bride walked up in her white dress, carrying her bouquet, everyone on the tender started cheering. It's one of my favorite memories.

Last year, I took my youngest daughter(10), my niece(9), and my mother-in-law (all on their first cruise) on the Celebration. Once again, we all had a fabulous time. The girls loved everything, especially the endless supply of pizza and chocolate ice cream cones. They explored every inch of the Lido deck, and played a game of chess (waist-high playing pieces on a board painted on the deck) on sail-a-way day. They were thoroughly impressed with the dining room, and loved being treated like "little ladies." My DD wasn't sure what to do when the waiter pulled out her chair for her, and then unfolded her napkin!

I have been on bigger and newer ships, and also on a former sister ship, the Jubilee. Although the larger ships have their advantages and amenities, I never felt that I was missing out on anything on the smaller ships. The service and entertainment have always been superb.

Although I understand that Carnival is moving forward, I am sad that the Celebration is leaving the fleet. I will never forget the first cruise.

I have lots of pictures from that first cruise, but they are all prints from film. If I can get a good one to scan in, I may try to post it.

Thanks, darthgrady, for starting this thread.

She was our first cruise in 1995 and is responsible for our adiction :D She seemed so big at the time ! We didn't know we were suppose to be worried about spring break and wild partiers. We didn't experience either. We did experience a horrible storm the last night and even though it was a wild ride its something we've never forgotten nor would have missed for a minute !:) After that experience it's amazing how up to this point any motion we feel while cruising feels like next the nothing !

So where does that leave the Holiday? It's been rumored for quite a while that she is going, but she keeps hanging in there.

Good question, I have wondered that too. They did take the time to install the mini golf on Holiday, and they have made no firm announcements yet as to her fate. It seems like the Holiday has achieved a strong local fan base in Alabama, so that may have extended her lifespan by a few years. Hopefully at least long enough for me to cruise on her next year!

My husband and I's first cruise together was on the Celebration. She is still one of my favorite ships, we had the best service on her we've ever had. I will really miss her being in the Carnival fleet. I only wish that I had time to cruise on her one last trip.

I'll have to scan in my pics from the 2 cruises we took on her.

The cruise next week, April 14 -19, is Celebration's last one as a Carnival ship. After renovations, Grand Celebration will operate 7-night cruises from Barcelona starting in June 2008.

You answered my question! I was wondering if she would be renamed when she went to her new cruise line.

Thanks for the info.

The Celebration was my honeymoon ship. My wife and I went again 15 years later. The Celebration being in jaxport was my go to ship for a quick fix cruise. It was a better drive for me from NJ. Now that the Fascination is comming to Jax port that may be my new go to ship. The last time I was on the celebration I took a lot of pictures of the ship. I knew the end was near. The only ship like the Celebration left is the Holiday, and not for much longer

Celebration was also my first cruise. It is also the cruise where I met the man who would become my husband! For obvious reasons that ship will always be near and dear to our heart! Like many others have posted, that ship started a lifetime of cruising memories!

The Celebration was also my first cruise. The service and memories on this ship continue to be the best of all our cruises. We made some life long friends on this cruise who sail with us now on other ships. The Celebration is a perfect name for this ship because sailing on it is truly a CELEBRATION! Good times, Great friends and fond memories will always come to mind when I think of the Celebration or hear the song! Long may she sail and continue to bring happiness to those who are lucky enough to cross her gangplank. The cruise bug bit me hard after my first journey on her and there's been no looking back---only forward to the next destination. Three cheers for the Celebration and her talented crew members over the years, passengers that have sailed on her and those that soon will....:D

Wow - this thread has brought back memories... our first cruise was out of Miami in 1993. We went to the Eastern Caribbean - San Juan, St Thomas and St Marteen. What a great time we had!!! It was the beginning of my cruise addition.

While your first cruise may not be your best cruise, it definitely leaves you with the best memories...... glad to see others have such fond memories of the Celebration as we have.

Eva

Even though the Celebration was my 2nd cruise....it was my DH and my 1st cruise 'together' in 1988 on a 7 Day Eastern Caribbean. I couldn't get him to go on my 1st cruise with me. He took that cruise on the Celebration and can't figure why he didn't go on the Holiday with me in 1987! Do any of you remember Eddie Capone the CD? He was so funny! We cruise now every chance we can get:D :cool:

I'LL MISS the CELEBRATION...

I have done afew BTBs......

The CELEBRATION is a sweet ole ship...

I too was hoping to be on the last cruise...

Hey Barbara,

We were expecting to see you and some of the other Celebration addicts on the final cruise. Guess it didn't work out for everybody.

We'll post any pictures if they do anything exciting for the final sailing.

72 hours to go!

Archived