Thinking About Century- Thoughts?

vplsh

Hi everyone,

My dh and I are looking for a short cruise at Christmas and Century is doing 5 days leaving on Christmas eve. We have sailed twice on RCCL and twice on Princess and like both lines (Princess is a slight favorite, but that could be the times/itineraries).

Does anyone have any experience with this ship/cruise/time of year? I'd appreciate any and all comments. Also, inside cabin locations?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Lisa,:) I have sailed Century 4 times, most recently on a 4

night cruise back in December.

To be honest with you, I won't be going at that time for

such a short one again.

There were many, many, many families on board. Probably

because it was the week before Christmas. I would not

attempt to guess how many kids would be on a Christmas

cruise.

I did enjoy the Specialty restaurant very much:)

and I am glad I finally sailed her again. (It had

been almost 3 years since I had been on Century).

As for cabins, I book inside cabin 99% of the time.

Mid ship is usually a good location. I was in 8145

and it was fine:)

But overall, it was quite different than many of my

previous cruises.

There are many Century followers on this board. There is another Lisa here, that will hopefully chime in, on why this is her favorite ship. We can't wait to sail on the Century in July in the Baltics. I would LOVE to do a five day crusie at Christmas. And I would think that the family issue would be less the actual week of Christmas... mainly because it is much more expensive, and I think families tend to stick closer to home on the actual holiday. I also heard that the newly refurb. Century is gorgeous! And the newly added balcony cabins are great!

Have a great time... I don't think you can go wrong with the Century.

Hi 2nd Lisa:) I would sail her again too...just not for

that cruise.

Unfortunetly the European sailings are out of my budget.

As for the Christmas cruise, I remember speaking with

the CD...he said nowadays they are full of families.

Short cruises bring families to the ships these days.

(Even at Christmastime).

I think my sailing had close to 300 and Christmas

was supposed to be closer 500 (kids).

Thanks for the info.

We did a 4 day cruise on Navigator of the Seas between Christmas and New Year's last year and it was full of family groups. We really didn't enjoy that aspect of it at all. Unfortunately, I'm a principal and only have holiday weeks to travel, so I'm stuck on the time. If we don't want to be with families, we can't go anywhere!

I was hoping since this was a smaller ship that there would not be as many big groups. Guess that's not going to happen!

In terms of the Century, what are the pools and public areas like?

Thanks again!

We did navigator as our first cruise and sail Century in a week and a half. I'll be posting a review so watch for that. We try to be very fair and to not dwell on little thigs.

I do find that smaller ships seem to attract more groups. The ships we have seen non-stop groups on were Westerdam (three major groups on one sailing) and Enchantment. I doubt there will be a lot of corporate groups at Christmas, though, but you're right that there will be more families. I think corporate groups were worse. They blocked the specialty restaurants entirely for two nights of a 4 night cruise we took, and they tend to be well catered to, to the detriment of other's experiences.

Hi everyone,

My dh and I are looking for a short cruise at Christmas and Century is doing 5 days leaving on Christmas eve. We have sailed twice on RCCL and twice on Princess and like both lines (Princess is a slight favorite, but that could be the times/itineraries).

Does anyone have any experience with this ship/cruise/time of year? I'd appreciate any and all comments. Also, inside cabin locations?

Thanks in advance.

i can't comment as to that time of year but DH and I sailed on her, April of 07

Transatlantic.it was one of the best cruise we had. Everything just clicked, ship,crew,pax. A wonderful time. Pretty ship (Not Gitzy) but pretty.:p

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate any and all comments. Also, inside cabin locations?

Thanks in advance.

My comment would be on the inside cabin. We recently cruised on Century in an inside cabin - #8140. It was by far the largest inside cabin we have ever had. The layout is sideways which I think contributes to the larger size. The bed did not have the rounded corners. The location on the ship was good also.

Check the deck plans.

It was a nice ship, my biggest complaint was the size and crowded-ness of the pool and decks surrounding it. (I am a big fan of the ships with an adults only pool area) This pool area was rather small.

Have fun with your planning!

My comment would be on the inside cabin. We recently cruised on Century in an inside cabin - #8140. It was by far the largest inside cabin we have ever had. The layout is sideways which I think contributes to the larger size. The bed did not have the rounded corners. The location on the ship was good also.

Check the deck plans.

It was a nice ship, my biggest complaint was the size and crowded-ness of the pool and decks surrounding it. (I am a big fan of the ships with an adults only pool area) This pool area was rather small.

Have fun with your planning!

Hi Laura, I have had sideways cabin too:) I always

enjoy the layout of those cabins.

But just an FYI, they are the same square footage

as the other ones~they just feel roomier:D

We recently returned from a five night cruise on Century and truly enjoyed our time on board. The decor of Century was very attractive and, in fact, I found the artwork far more pleasing than that on the Constellation. The Hemisphere Lounge is what the Bar at the End of the Earth on Constellation should be if they restore it to its original elegance. I was less impressed with the food choices in the buffet at breakfast and lunch and much prefer the food station set up on RCI ships to the cafeteria lines on Celebrity and, aside from the waffle station, which is fabulous, I preferred the burgers out on deck to many of the offerings in the buffet.

I prefer longer cruises, but sometimes our personal schedules demand that we take shorter ones, and I would not hesitate to sail again on the Century.:)

Archived