Russia, Land of the Tsars

We just saw a fascinating show on the History Channel: "Russia, Land of the Tsars." It's a four-part series about the leaders of Russia from the Vikings in 862 to the Revolution in 1918.

It was a rerun with lots of commercials, so if you can record it, you'll be glad you did.

It will make the trip to St. Petersburg even better. If you are planning to visit, I recommend this show. It's probably available to rent, but it's being shown now.

It's also available on Netflix.

If your cruise includes Berlin, another movie I'd recommend is The Lives of Others, which is set in Berlin in the 80s before the fall of the wall. It received and Oscar for best foreign language film. Excellent! :D

If your cruise includes Berlin, another movie I'd recommend is The Lives of Others, which is set in Berlin in the 80s before the fall of the wall. It received and Oscar for best foreign language film. Excellent! :D

THANKS! Great suggestions. Lots of interesting history there in Russia. Most of our history we learn in the U.S. is focused on England and France. Russia, other than recent Cold War history, has been short-changed on the attention it deserves. Russia didn't get to be the largest country in the world by chance or accident. It look hundreds of years to grow to that size and power. Terry in Ohio

Thank you! I appreciate the tip, as I am a netflix'er. Yay!!!:D

There were threads going last summer about movies to see and books to read before you go. Here are two of them:

Netflix has a bunch of movies from the History Channel including some about the Vikings. There is also a HC(?) about the Vasa in Stockholm.

Don't forget about your local public library as a source of films -- both DVD and online.

If your research for your Baltic cruise includes a little light reading ;) in addition to DVDs and guidebooks, you might want to try Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, which is set in St. Petersburg, although definitely not in the parts of the city that most tourists will see.

Hi Folks!

We are very fortunate to have several public library systems within a 20 minute radius from our home.

So we check out tons of videos that are related to travel! We realize not everyone has that....

This was a component that we were looking into adding onto our website for everyone...

After I saw this thread we really put the pressure on ourselves this weekend..

Technically, we haven't found a way to do this as embedding is not offered with the programming we wanted to share

I want to direct you to the following sites, in turn you will be able to watch videos at home on your computer.

PBS will provide background information and then programming schedules.

Biography Channel

http://www.biography.com/biography/

History Channel

http://www.history.com/

PBS

http://www.pbs.org/

Utilize the search engines and you will find mountains of videos to help with your enrichment of every port on your cruse!

Now back to the drawing board....:)

K.

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

Archived