Olympic Restaurant naive question ...

fernem

Hi.

I have been assuming that there is no point in even considering the Olympic Restaurant experience, although I love good food and wine, because I am a vegetarian (ovo-lacto ... eat eggs and dairy). But it occurs to me to ask if any of you have eaten there with specific needs and they could accommodate and provide the presentation and quality of food and experience tailored to such needs.

I would love to hear from any vegetarians who have tried this or from folks who know whether this is plausible.

Thanks.:)

I am curious to hear if other have been accommodated. I know that Olympic has a fixed menu.

For your sake, I hope you are able to be served. The food was fantastic, but the service was equally good if not better. I would assume you can have the Goat Cheese Soufflé. Don't miss it.

I am curious to hear if other have been accommodated. I know that Olympic has a fixed menu.

For your sake, I hope you are able to be served. The food was fantastic, but the service was equally good if not better. I would assume you can have the Goat Cheese Soufflé. Don't miss it.

Well goat cheese souffle with a really lovely and interesting white wine would certainly be swell ... but I do hope my $57.00 could garner me a few more courses! (Once I flew first class on Pan Am in the old days and, instead of the jumbo shrimp cocktail around me, I got melon carved for me at the table and a plate of lovely cheeses and good bread and champagne. Made me feel very pampered and well taken care of!)

We just ate there and they seemed very intent on pleasing everyone. I am sure if you contacted them in advance of dining there, they would prepare something for you.

I do believe there was a vegeterian entree (risotto, if I'm not mistaken?), as well as salads, a cheese course, and the soup course as well (the tomato roasted red pepper soup was to DIE for!).

I think you'll do fine there!

http://www.tomandemily.com has posted a lot of menus...see if you can find the Olympic on there, and good luck!

I'm on a really limited diet because of weight loss surgery. I don't eat meats, but I do eat fish.

Everything I ate was basically vegetarian except the main entree of fish. The fish came with the best part of the meal for me, which was grilled eggplant. It was the most incredible eggplant I've ever had. The server told me it was because of the type of olive oil they used and the way they grilled it. I'm sure they could easily serve you this as a main course if you asked for it.

I also had the cheese course (which was a meal in itself), the goat cheese souffle, soup, chocolate souffle, breads/breadsticks, and the wine. I was stuffed to the gills :). I know there were many other offerings but I don't recall exactly what else we had. I believe there was a pasta option (in terms of entrees) and I am certain that they will accomodate you.

I went to the Olympic on the first day onboard to make table arrangements (they wouldn't take a tip at this point, btw). They treated me like a queen and were very gracious. Trust me. They'll bend over backwards to take care of you. It's quite a show!

Bon appetit!

Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like I am willing to take a chance (with my husband who eats primarily fish and loves it). How do I make a reservation for the Olympic Restaurant? We are sailing out of Seward on the Millennium on Aug. 29th. Do I make this in advance and then just explain my needs when we get on board? Do I make the reservation on board? I know everyone knows this but this is my first Celebrity cruise. Thanks in advance.

fern

The $57 is for the wine pairing menu, if I understand correctly. But the 'right side' menu for Celebrity's specialty dining is priced at $30, includes the courses described earlier, and should be accommodable for ovo-lacto. You could then order wine by the glass or bottle. And if you like cheese, the cheese course (when they bring the trolley tableside) is not to be missed.

If you are a Captain's Club member (I know you are a first timer on X--don't know if RCL C&A members get this benefit), you can call the CC and make a reservation 60 days in advance of your cruise.

If you are not, go to the Maitre'd as soon as you get on board. They are at different places on different ships. Reservations fill quickly as I believe they top serving at 120 guests per night max.

Enjoy.

You will find more than enough to eat in the restaurant. They had a wonderful fire-roasted tomato soup, the goat cheese souffle, a huge salad made tableside, a risotto that was smooth as butter and then the cheese and fruit selections. For the $30 menu, you get a choice of an appetizer or salad or soup, main course and dessert. The cheese course is an added extra. And I can tell you, the cheese selections are some of the finest cheeses. I think if you explain your situation, they would allow you to choose a couple of things from just the appetizer/salad/soup portion. If you're not a Captain's Club member, you'll have to wait until you're on the ship to make reservations. But we've never had a problem getting in the restaurant, and we try and dine there at least three times during a cruise.

Hi.

I have been assuming that there is no point in even considering the Olympic Restaurant experience, although I love good food and wine, because I am a vegetarian (ovo-lacto ... eat eggs and dairy). But it occurs to me to ask if any of you have eaten there with specific needs and they could accommodate and provide the presentation and quality of food and experience tailored to such needs.

I would love to hear from any vegetarians who have tried this or from folks who know whether this is plausible.

Thanks.:)

I'm not a Vegetarian [but I do like vegetables:D], but let me comment on my experience in the Olympic. We were a party of six, and some wanted wine pairing, some didn't - "rules" say the entire table must be the same, but we discussed it with the Maitre d' in advance and were told no problem. Entrees for wine pairing were only seafood or lamb, but one of us wanted wine pairing with Steak Diane; again no problem. We did this low key, in advance - no confrontation, just "would you like our business", and they were very gracious. Obviously personnel changes, but I suggest that you discuss it with them in advance and see if you can reach a conclusion that makes everyone happy:) :) I think you will have a great time!

I'm not a Vegetarian [but I do like vegetables:D], but let me comment on my experience in the Olympic. We were a party of six, and some wanted wine pairing, some didn't - "rules" say the entire table must be the same, but we discussed it with the Maitre d' in advance and were told no problem. Entrees for wine pairing were only seafood or lamb, but one of us wanted wine pairing with Steak Diane; again no problem. We did this low key, in advance - no confrontation, just "would you like our business", and they were very gracious. Obviously personnel changes, but I suggest that you discuss it with them in advance and see if you can reach a conclusion that makes everyone happy:) :) I think you will have a great time!

Our experience two weeks ago at the Olympic was that I wanted the wine pairing and the other four in our party didn't. I had no idea that the entire party was supposed to order it and I didn't know until I read your posting!

The servers never said a word and obviously didn't have a problem with it.

I think they are exceptionally kind and helpful in the Olympic.

Here is a sample menu from Celebrity's website. The actual selections may be different depending on which ship - but this should give you a good overview of what types of food are on the menu.

Specialty Dining Menu

Detailed preparation and impeccable presentation combine to make your meal both exquisite and memorable. Served in an atmosphere of elegance by a courteous staff, the following menu is a sample of the culinary delights that await your palate in our specialty restaurants.

a p p e t i z e r s

Tartare Of Salmon Garnished With Quail Eggs

Potted fresh and smoked salmon seasoned with herbs, lemon and fromage blanc

Chilled Asparagus, Sauce Gribiche

Asparagus spears with a sauce of finely chopped capers, eggs, gherkins and parsley

Stuffed Quail Glazed With Port Jelly

Boned quail with a forcemeat of veal, chicken and pork, flavored with green peppercorns

Goat Cheese Soufflé With Tomato Coulis

Delicate warm goat cheese soufflé served with a creamy sauce and tomato coulis

s o u p s

Iced Tropical Paradise

Chilled exotic fruit soup garnished with kiwi

Lobster Velouté

A creamy lobster broth

s a l a d s

Caesar Salad

A classic; tossed and served at your table

Russian Salad

A salad of diced vegetables, ham, tongue, a creamy mayonnaise, lobster and truffle

Shredded Smoked Chicken With Oriental Salad

Sliced smoked breast of chicken served on ribbons of Chinese cabbage, toasted almonds and crispy rice noodles

e n t r é e s

Risotto Primavera

Risotto of baby spring vegetables

Grilled Filet of Sea Bass

Fillet of Sea Bass brushed with tapenade and served with grilled vegetables

Boston Scrod with Sauce Nantua

Medallions of young cod with a rich shellfish sauce

Flambéed Scampi

Prawns wrapped in pancetta, flamed in Armagnac and served on a bed of rocket leaves

Long Island Duckling For Two

As was served on the S.S. United States in the Fifties and Sixties, crispy roast, apple and prune stuffing, citrus sauce

Saltimbocca Alla Romana

Escalopines of veal with prosciutto, pan fried and served with a Marsala Sauce

Rack of Lamb en Croûte

Rack of lamb coated with a mushroom duxelle, wrapped in puff pastry

and baked until golden

Steak Diane

New York steak cooked to your liking and served with garlic, parsley, Cognac and Worcestershire sauce

d e s s e r t s

Crêpes Suzette

A classic dessert of fine crepes flavored with orange and Grand Marnier

Zabaglione Flavored with Marsala

A fluffy delicate Marsala flavored sabayon

Waldorf Pudding

A creamy vanilla pudding flavored with a hint of nutmeg, diced apples and sultana grapes

Chocolate Soufflé

The most classic and well-known light soufflé

Selection Of Ice Creams And Sorbets

Freshly churned ice creams and sorbets

Our experience two weeks ago at the Olympic was that I wanted the wine pairing and the other four in our party didn't. I had no idea that the entire party was supposed to order it and I didn't know until I read your posting!

The servers never said a word and obviously didn't have a problem with it.

I think they are exceptionally kind and helpful in the Olympic.

The potential issue is that the wine pairing offers one more course [appetizer AND soup for wine pairing; appetizer OR soup OR salad for non-wine pairing] - when we had both at the table we all got the additional course [not you would go hungry without the additional course][and BTW one of the wine pairers wanted salad rather than soup, and again that was no problem]. I have heard of people who say they were turned down in their requests, but my personal experience has been nothing but positive. Again, I suggest that if possible you discuss it in advance with the maitre d' to make sure that both you and Olympic will end up happy.

happy cruising

Thom

Archived