Lunch in Cayman

gypsyrose

Rum point is closed for the day while we are there so Nativeway emailed us about another tour for snorkeling and stingrays that is finished at 1pm. She said we could go to 7 mile beach or pier afterwards. Our ship leaves at 4pm so I'm sure we have to be back on at 3:30 so I think we will skip the beach. We could go to the ship for lunch (boring!) or find a neat place near the pier for lunch. Don't want Hard Rock or Margaritaville (going there next day in Ocho). I prefer to stay near the pier because I want to hit the Harley store and be able to keep an eye on the tenders. Any good recommendations????

Nativeway said this was the 1st time they had ever closed RP for the day. She said it is closed for a private function. Maybe someone rented the place for the whole day for a wedding. I really am bummed since I was looking forward to RP but stuff happens. We'll get back another day I'm sure.

I'm sure Rum Point would not have been closed for the day. In the year I have been here it has closed once - the day after Hurricane Dean, to allow the staff the clean the beach up.

What I believe the poster should have said, is that Stingray City (the sandbar) were closed to visitors due to high wave heights. This has happened a couple of times this year.

Other posters have said Hammerheads was good. Well not in my experience !! If you like blood pouring out of your burger into a blood soaked bun, then it may be for you.

I'm sure Rum Point would not have been closed for the day. In the year I have been here it has closed once - the day after Hurricane Dean, to allow the staff the clean the beach up.

What I believe the poster should have said, is that Stingray City (the sandbar) were closed to visitors due to high wave heights. This has happened a couple of times this year.

Since the OP hasn't been yet, and was talking about Rum Point being closed on the day that they're *going to be* there (not that they *were* there) then I'm pretty sure it can't be high waves. No one's weather service is that good... :D

When we were there in March, about half of the Rum Point area (all the volleyball court area plus some of the surrounding beach) was closed off for a private function. They had a buffet out, with tables with tablecloths for the guests, lots of extra servers, etc. I'm not sure whether it was a cruise ship excursion or a company's social event...but most guests were wearing nametags, so it was some kind of organized private function.

It is entirely plausible to me that all of Rum Point might get booked for a private function...especially now that it's managed as a separate company rather than being run by a hotel.

Archived