Beware of old Forints!!!

letsgo39

Quote from Fodors today

"Author:

Date: 04/13/2008, 06:00 am At some point during our stay in Budapest, we got an old 1,000 forint bill, in our change.

When we tried to use it to purchase an item, the clerk informed us it was "old money and no good".

If you receive change, make sure the 1,000 forint has a silver bar stripe on it or it is useless.

From my understanding, the 1,000 bill underwent a new design recently and, if your bills don't have the silver bar stripe, it is worthless.

Just a "heads up"!

Valarie"

I found this on Fodors today. Just thought I would give a heads up here!

I know that Hungary (Budapest) and Czech (Prague) use their own currency not the Euro. If you use a credit card in either country in the hotel or other shopping are you charge in local currency or Euro's?

Thanks of the info on the Old Money.

Emily

Quote from Fodors today

"Author:

Date: 04/13/2008, 06:00 am At some point during our stay in Budapest, we got an old 1,000 forint bill, in our change.

When we tried to use it to purchase an item, the clerk informed us it was "old money and no good".

If you receive change, make sure the 1,000 forint has a silver bar stripe on it or it is useless.

From my understanding, the 1,000 bill underwent a new design recently and, if your bills don't have the silver bar stripe, it is worthless.

Just a "heads up"!

Valarie"

I found this on Fodors today. Just thought I would give a heads up here!

Hey, at least they were only out 6 bucks. But, it's good to know if there has been a change like this.

I know that Hungary (Budapest) and Czech (Prague) use their own currency not the Euro. If you use a credit card in either country in the hotel or other shopping are you charge in local currency or Euro's?

Thanks of the info on the Old Money.

Emily

Most credit card transactions in foreign countries are posted in the currency of the country. Your credit card company does the exchange. Also, many/most credit card companies have a per transaction fee. Check with yours so that you will know if it pays to use the c.c. or pay cash.

Charlie

Thanks for the reminder on CC and ATM fees.

The CC I use only charges the 1% exchange fee. Also my ATM supplier reimbuses all fees for using an ATM for cash, even the exchange fee.

Thanks,

Emily

In Hungary the 1 and 2 Forint coins are now (from

March on) invalid too. The 5 forint coin became the smallest coin. In some shops you still see the old prices, which may end to 1,2,7,8 etc. The rules of rounding: amounts ending in 1 or 2 will be rounded down to 0. amounts ending in 3 or 4 will be rounded up to 5. amounts ending in 6 or 7 will be rounded down to 5. amounts ending in 8 or 9 will be rounded up to 0.

So remember, that 5 is the smallest coin, and you will be ok. :-)

Archived