Credit Card Changes in Budapest & Prague

MSEm

I know that Hungary (Budapest) and Czech (Prague) use their own currency not the Euro. If you use a credit card in either country in the hotel or other shopping are you charge in local currency or Euro's?

Do you end up with 2 currency exchange fees? Forints to Euro's and then Euro's to US$?

Thanks of the info on the Old Money. (1000 forints) not being good.

Emily

Emily,

You CC will be charged in Forint/Crowns and - if you have one - there´s only one currency exchange fee. No Euro involved in any CC transaction in Hungary or Czech Republic.

Anyway most tourist spots are taking Euros too in Budapest and Prague. So for a one day stay there´s no need to change.

steamboats

When we went to the large market hall in Budapset last June they would only take forints. I did not attempt to use a credit card there however as our purchases were not large and we had gotten about $50.00 USD in forints from the ATM at the airport.We were there 3 days however.We did use a cc when we went to dinner and that was billed in forints.

I will be on the Avalon ARTISTRY "Blue Danube" cruisetour. I will have 4 1/2 days in Budapest before boarding the river vesse. In Prague we will have 2 1/2 days before we fly home.

Thanks for the good info on CC. I noticed that all the hotel rates were in Euro's. I will probably use cash for most purchases, put use CC at hotel and if we get an expensive meal.

Thanks,

Emily

We wave to you from Passau. I think we will skip the Salzburg trip. We have done a Salzburg 1 day bus trip before. Also did the salt mnes and the Eagle's Nest.

We lived in Germany for 4 years in K-town. Enjoyed it. Hope to get to do some traveling by rail withn 1 or 2 years.

Emily

Steamboats,

Read many of your posts and you have a lot of great information. We are taking Avalon on the Lower Danube and end in Budapest in early June. We then fly to Munich for one night and home the next day. As there is little discussion about Munich on the boards, what do you recommend for one full day in Munich? I planned to see the Residenz (not the entire thing) and the Alstadt section. Was thinking about the Oyster Bar at Dallmyr for lunch. Do you have any suggestions? Stephanie

Stephanie,

I´d say start at the central station and make a tour with the sightseeing busses there

http://www.stadtrundfahrten-muenchen.de/eng/index.html

It´s a live narrated tour in German and English. The busses are running every 20 min. It´s EUR 13 per person (Express Circle). That´s a great way to see the most important sights in the downtown area.

Then walk from the central station to the pedestrian zone down to Marienplatz (St. Mary´s Square). Close-by you´ll find Dallmayr which is always highly recommended for sightseeing (even without the Oyster Bar, I can´t tell you anything about it as I don´t like oysters)

http://www.dallmayr.de/

You may continue to the Residenz

http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/englisch/palace/uebers/mu_res.htm

If you still have some time left go back to Marienplatz and continue to the Viktualienmarkt (a vegetable / fruit / cheese and more market)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktualienmarkt

I think that´s even more than you can do on one day :D!

steamboats

Wow! Thank you!! Tour bus sounds great. Do you recommend the Lufthansa shuttle bus to the city or should we take the S-bahn? Have you been to Lenbach on ottostrasse? Looks very interesting. Lunch menu is very reasonable. Terrence Conran design and eclectic food. I think we will try this one and stop by Dallmayr to pick some items to take home (not oysters of course!). What street(s) do you recommend for interesting boutiques? I appreciate your help. -Stephanie

Stephanie,

I´ve never used the Lufthansa shuttle as I´m living close to the S-Bahn going to the airport. The price difference isn´t that much and I think the shuttle might be more comfortable with luggage. It gets you to the central station.

I´ve never been to the Lenbach but DH was and it´s pretty good. But I´d say it´s a bit off the tracks. Depending on what time you´re starting the bus tour I´d say go on the bus tour, then walk to Stachus (Karlsplatz) and to the Lenbach. Walk back to Karlsplatz through the pedestrian zone to Marienplatz, then Dallmayr, Residenzstrasse up to the Residenz. But if you´re starting early with the bus you´ll be too early for lunch. If you´re at the Lenbach for lunch you won´t have enough time to do the rest.

You´ll find the big department stores at Karlsplatz (Galeria Kaufhof) and in the pedestrian zone (Karstadt) and at Marienplatz (Galeria Kaufhof). The largest department store is right at the bus stop at central station and is going nearly up to Karlsplatz. It´s another Karstadt (former Hertie). In the pedestrian zone you´ll find every brand store. In Maximiliansstrasse you´ll find every high price brand (like Gucci, Versace...). Some smaller independant boutiques are located in Residenzstrasse and Theatinerstrasse. There´s also a shopping area called "Fünf Höfe" (Five Courts)

http://www.fuenfhoefe.de/ (sorry, German only)

which you can enter via Theatinerstrasse. Nice shops, cafes, restaurants even a supermarket.

If you don´t want to eat at Dallmayr maybe you want to try out a more typical Bavarian restaurant which is on the way to the Residenz called Zum Franziskaner (typical Bavarian food and beer)

http://www.zum-franziskaner.de

http://www.zum-franziskaner.de/speisenkarte-englisch.pdf

They also do have some outdoor seating.

steamboats

Steamboats, thank you for the great suggestions and web links. We will be staying overnight at the airport (Sheraton) so we won't be traveling with any luggage. We only take carryon anyway but it will be nice to drop it at the hotel before we head to the city. We will definitely do the bus tour first and break for lunch. We will do the residenz after lunch. Zum Franziskaner looks like it would be great for lunch. Perhaps we will have dinner at Lenbach instead. I only plan on spending an hour or so at the Residenz. That will leave a little time for shopping. Funf Hofe looks great. I don't speak German but the website lists some designers and shops that are familar. We only have one day in Munich but I want to make the most of it. You helped tremendously!!!

Stephanie,

I´m sure you will enjoy Fünf Höfe. And it´s close to the Residenz and Zum Franziskaner. If you are taking the S-Bahn buy a "Partner-Tageskarte Gesamtnetz" for EUR 18 which is valid for up to 5 adults. This is a day ticket for all suburban trains, subway, tram and bus. There are two S-Bahn lines S8 and S1. Both will bring you to the central station in app. 40 min.

So if you get tired of walking you can make a trip on the tram. Near Residenz / Theatinerstrasse you´ll find tram 19 to "St Veit Strasse" which takes you through Maximiliansstrasse up to the Bavarian Parliament building. Get off at the next stop called "Max-Weber-Platz". Around the corner you´ll find tram 18 to "Gondrellplatz". Next stop is "Wiener Platz". There you´ll see a market stands and the restaurant "Hofbräukeller" (associated to the Hofbräuhaus) which also has a wonderful beergarden. The tram conitunes downhill. To the right side there´s the Müller´sches Volksbad (a public indoor pool in Art Deco style). To the left there´s the Deutsches Museum (German Museum). Straight ahead you´ll see the Isartor (Isar Gate), one of the gates to the former city wall. The tram takes a left. Always have a look to the right side. At the next stop "Reichenbachplatz" you´ll see parts of the Viktualienmarkt. On the way to the following stop you can see the new synagoge. Then you reach "Sendlinger Tor", the second city gate. Next stop is Karlstor (the third city gate). You can get off there and walk up to the Lenbach for dinner.

In case you haven´t found it yet here´s the website of the Munich public transportation system

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de

steamboats

Wow, thanks for the details. You are amazing! Now I am trying to decide btw Lenbach and G-Munich. I looked at the map and know the latter is further south. Last Sunday the NY Times had a great article about Munich. Apparently it is now the "in place" surpassing Berlin!

Archived